1970 gulfstream makeover... Somewhat

Mark72233

Ensign
Looking very good Kin. What does Ikima mean? Fishbox? Just trying to learn the language so when I win the lotto and move to Kauai. We went there on vacation about 10 years ago. I don't know what the rest of the islands look like but WOW, Kauai was like a dream. I envy you and the future trips out on that awesome boat on that beautiful ocean.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking very good Kin. What does Ikima mean? Fishbox? Just trying to learn the language so when I win the lotto and move to Kauai. We went there on vacation about 10 years ago. I don't know what the rest of the islands look like but WOW, Kauai was like a dream. I envy you and the future trips out on that awesome boat on that beautiful ocean.

Thanks for the kind words. I am truely blessed to have been born, and raised here. As far as ikima, it's a live well. I just looked it up and it's actually spelled ikema, and it's japanese. Kaua'i is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can't imagine living anywhere else, but you never know. The down side is the cost of living, it's expensive.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the front bulkhead in and glassed. Also got the front bulkhead for the gas tank coffin in and tabbed. Front stringers are capped with mat and it's ready for a piece of deck. I forgot to take a pic of the resin and roller left in the paint tray. Lost track of time and needed to rush to get my daughter from school. All good though, progress.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the tank coffin in and am glassing it. A lot of little detail pieces that remind me of doing finish carpentry (time consuming :(). But got some work done. How do you guys wrap the top edge of 1/2" ply that had been radiused with a router? Doesn't seem like the 1708 will take such a tight bend. Should I just use the mat theory (crumple and stretch them) like the stringers? Or should I go get some cloth that will bend easy and use that? Needed to adjust the height in the rear, hence the additional floor supports on top of the bulkhead. Mahalo

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Not sure what you mean but if it is radius like you said glass should conform.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure what you mean but if it is radius like you said glass should conform.

I went back out after picking up my daughter and tried it. It worked but I needed to pull it off because the piece that I used was actually for another place. :eek: Thanks again for the help:watermelon:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For small Radius's just make sure to "Beat the Heck" out to the glass along the edge where it's gunna go around . This will make sure the CSM is "Loosey Goosey" as well as the fabric Fibers and it'll me more likely to lay down better. Pre Lay it and mark the edge then put it on the bench and crease it and hit it with a hammer along the crease. Don't get carried away but don't be to gentle either. You want to make it loose. Once you do it you'll get the feel for it and KNOW what it feels like when it becomes pliable. When it gets like that and the resin hits it, it'll conform to the 1/2" radius much better.;)

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
For small Radius's just make sure to "Beat the Heck" out to the glass along the edge where it's gunna go around . This will make sure the CSM is "Loosey Goosey" as well as the fabric Fibers and it'll me more likely to lay down better. Pre Lay it and mark the edge then put it on the bench and crease it and hit it with a hammer along the crease. Don't get carried away but don't be to gentle either. You want to make it loose. Once you do it you'll get the feel for it and KNOW what it feels like when it becomes pliable. When it gets like that and the resin hits it, it'll conform to the 1/2" radius much better.;)
Thanks, I love the fact that you guys are always so willing to help. I would've never came up with that on my own. Mahalo nui

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is one layer of mat acceptable above the deck for waterproofing? For things like the tank coffin? Our should I put two.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I put two layers of CSM plus 1708 tabbing in my tank coffin, but it's bellow deck.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry haven't posted in a while, been super busy and Mr Murphy showed up BIG TIME!!!
I had a faulty pig tail, and it was giving me trouble. I should've changed it but Mr Murphy made sure I changed it. I was prepping a new area with the grinder and the roller that was soaking in some acetone got knocked over by the vacuum hose. I didn't know that it happened but I saw the shiny substance on the hull and electrical outlets. When I put two and two together I figured I'd better disconnect the electrical pig tail, since it gave me previous problems. Just as I did that it shorted and ignited the resin/acetone mixture. Not to mention I had some MEKP in a container. I had hurt my knee playing basketball, so as the flames flashed I hobbled out of there as soon as possible. The only extinguisher that was around was behind the flames. I was screaming for my wife to turn on the water hose. Meanwhile, black smoke billowed out of the boat. All I could think of was loosing the whole boat and catching the neighbors house on fire. Well, I grabbed the hose and went to town. It seemed like forever, but I eventually got it out. I was shaking a little after it was all over. That was NUTTTTS!!! I went straight to Costco and got an extinguisher, and then HD the next day to buy things to replace all the electrical cords that were damaged. I now run all the electrical overhead so I have no problems like that again. Thank God that he protected me and the boat. Miraculously the tarp that covered the boat didn't even burn, I can't explain it besides divine intervention.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ended up jumping straight back into it and got some stuff done. I should have some time to glass the fish box tomorrow. Got the deck glassed underneath and am gonna try and put it in tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Heres some shots of the progress. I also put a thermometer in the boat, no wonder I was hot, it was anywhere from 100-110 degrees.

Last edited:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow, glad you made out ok with the fire. That can get out of control very quickly. Scarry stuff!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Holy Burning Bulkhead Batman! :flame:That could have been a LOT worse!:eek: Glad that you and your boat are ok!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, Poly IS flammable!!! You are Blessed!!! Coulda been a LOT worse!!!! Glad you're OK! This is a lesson for ALL of us.:eek: