1970 gulfstream makeover... Somewhat

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the stringers pb'd in. Ate some resin, cs fibers, milled fibers, and cabosil. But amazing how much this stiffened up the hull. Hope to FG them in on friday, then move on to the bulkheads. Plus I need to finish the middle stringer to the bulkhead. Got the pieces cut, just need to laminate in place. I forgot to do it earlier and didn't want to wait to put it in.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got some of the stringers glassed in. Finishing up this afternoon on them, hopefully .

Mark72233

Ensign
Looking really good Kinaiahi61. I like the Star fish and the Port fish. Something tells me you have little helpers that visit every now and then.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking really good Kinaiahi61. I like the Star fish and the Port fish. Something tells me you have little helpers that visit every now and then.

I wish. That's just to make sure everything is correct. That's actually where the fish box is going. I thought is was funny when I wrote it though. Hopefully the fish box will be full of fish soon.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should I 1708 the whole bulkheads or just tape the seams with 1708 and mat the rest? I was thinking that the wood is structurally strong? Also is it lighter to put 1708 then mat. Which would save weight?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I believe I would treat the bulkheads just like stringers and glass to the tops. Structural integrity.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the last run on the port stringer tabbed in. The two main bulkheads are pb'd in and got the live bait well or ikima (under the blue level) built and pb'd in. Hope to glass next day off (Thursday)

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should I cap the stringers with 1.5 oz mat before adding the other pieces on top of them to complete the fish box? Or can I put the wood on top of the stringers and just continue the 1708 to the top. The fish box requires about another 2' higher of 1/2" ply with foam. I was thinking that the stringers should be encapsulated for water protection. But its all encased either way? Thanks again for the guidance and comments.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Not really sure what your approach is here. So I not sure how to answer the questions. You could just use hairy pb between the woods as a joint then glass all of that but again I'm not sure where your going with this.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
If there is ever some type of breach I would want the stringers protected. But, there shouldn't be a problem. It would be more work, so debating if its worth capping with mat, then adding the additional pieces on top to make the structure. The red is the wood that needs to be added.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd just PB the Seam, and then Glass all the way up!!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I would say hairy PB is fine to use versus capping at this point. You would still need to make hairy pb to joint the pcs. but you will have to glass those pcs like bulkheads and tab. The idea is to make it like all 1 pc of wood. Looks alot higher than 2" you mentioned earlier. You may need to tab all the way to the hull for strength. If it is only the 2" then you should prob. glass complete and do the tabbing with 3 and 6" overlays. Too late now but best bet would have been letting those stringers rise up to the heights you were going to be with the fish box as 1 pc of would. There are alot of ways to easily remedy the situation and feel good about the strength of the box.
Lets see what everyone else says.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would say hairy PB is fine to use versus capping at this point. You would still need to make hairy pb to joint the pcs. but you will have to glass those pcs like bulkheads and tab. The idea is to make it like all 1 pc of wood. Looks alot higher than 2" you mentioned earlier. You may need to tab all the way to the hull for strength. If it is only the 2" then you should prob. glass complete and do the tabbing with 3 and 6" overlays. Too late now but best bet would have been letting those stringers rise up to the heights you were going to be with the fish box as 1 pc of would. There are alot of ways to easily remedy the situation and feel good about the strength of the box.
Lets see what everyone else says.

It's 2 feet higher. I didn't want to do the box as one with the stringers because of the different thicknesses, and not to mention trying to laminate that and move it around would be pretty hard (stringers were 16' long). The box is 6'8" long by 32"- 36" high. Theres going to be a piece of 1.5" foam on the inside and solid glass from the bottom all the way up over it. Not too worried about the strength since there will be 2 layers 1708 on the outside, and inside of the wood, with two more layers 1708 on the foam and one or two layers of 1.5 oz mat. Or could I just PB or PL the foam in and just lay the layers from the floor all the way up, like a sandwich construction (illuminating the FG on the inside of the wood and putting only the layer over the foam). Plus there will be bulkheads every two feet along the box on the port and starboard sides for the floor to sit on and to add strength plus reinforce the joint of the fish box. The floor will also be tied into the sides of the fish box. Hope this explains it better. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So it sounds like your building a box in a box and the second box is taller than the existing side stringers and bulkheads. Seems like you are simply filling a cavity. But the adjacent woods need to be properly bonded like you seem to say with dbl 1708 and pb.
Still a little off que to me but seems like it should work.
Box in a Box....reminds me of a song. lol! Ask Wood. Hitting the sack.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Screwed up capping the stringers today. Had some minor air bubbles so I thought that I'd use the builders plastic on it. Must of did it all wrong. Nothing some grinding but i hate grinding. Got some floor supports ready for PB tomorrow.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When you cap your stringers, I'd advise you to tear the CSM and make it really "Hairy" and then use a Chip Brush with the Bristles Cut 1/2 Off and then dab the resin on at first then come back with a 4" roller to finish it off. That always seems to work for me.:noidea: