1970 gulfstream makeover... Somewhat

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the larger of the two turned out to be an ahi (yellow fin tuna over 100lbs). Friend sold it for $4.50 a lb. At least he'll get some $ since he lost his aftco gaff on the second one.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
so hey what's going on. Are there step down decks? Juzzz wondering why the stringers are meeting up to bulkhead heights.?

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
The floor is raised to make a flush deck. In my opinion very necessary here. I've had waves come over the gunnels into the boat. I've also had them come over the cab and flood the deck, making this a necessity. With the deck height raised, the water flows right out, if not the boat would be swamped. Plus it helps when pulling big fish into the boat. The front area will have a step down for more height under the cab. Plus theres gonna be added pieces above the stringers that will make the fishbox, and behind that the livewell.

Last edited:

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do I need to grind the surface of the glass that I laid that's going to be behind the transom for adhesion? It's way longer than a week. Should I rough up anything that isn't laid within a week? Or can I wash with acetone and be good since it's laminating resin? I've heard both, so seeing what you guys think. I believe WOG said up to a week after I laid glass it should still be good.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well the larger of the two turned out to be an ahi (yellow fin tuna over 100lbs). Friend sold it for $4.50 a lb. At least he'll get some $ since he lost his aftco gaff on the second one.

Boy seeing those Ahi, reminds me of why I sometimes miss living in Hawaii Good looking fish brah.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Do I need to grind the surface of the glass that I laid that's going to be behind the transom for adhesion? It's way longer than a week. Should I rough up anything that isn't laid within a week? Or can I wash with acetone and be good since it's laminating resin? I've heard both, so seeing what you guys think. I believe WOG said up to a week after I laid glass it should still be good.

I believe if you are using poly;
You should scuff it up a bit.
Clean up real good {soapy water removes any blush if you have any**, remove any rough spots that you may have and acetone surface. Pretty much what I usually do.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Don't think that transom's coming out anytime soon. Did you get plenty of "OOZE" with the PB???

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got some ooze, some places more than others. Some a lot others hardly. So I took the ziplock with structural resin (milled fibers, chopped strand, and cabosil (I drilled through some structural resin and its like rock)) and forced the resin in with the bag and a stainless spoon. Knock down some spots and glass today hopefully. Rain is off and on, so hope I can get on it. Mahalo for the comments. Sorry hard to take pics with a one man crew, cause I'm hurrying to get it done before it sets up. That thing has a bunch of resin, thanks WOG for the structural rivets. Is one layer of mat and 2 layers of 1708 good. Im debating on adding 1708 tape to the sides too for extra measure.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd Tab with 1708 and then do 2 full layers of 1708 and call it a "TANK"!!!!:eek::D;)

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd Tab with 1708 and then do 2 full layers of 1708 and call it a "TANK"!!!!:eek::D;)

Single tab or double? I have the 6" and 12" 1708. SINGLE 12" and two full layers plus the mat? Wasn't able to glass yet as the cabosil I put this morning to touch up wasn't dry. Hopefully this afternoon it'll go in. If not shooting for Friday. Aloha

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Tab with the 6" first and go over that with the 12" . That's the double tab Wood is referring to. try to do wet on wet. Cabosil got wet? Bummer!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, ^^^ and you can do this all at one time. No need to stop. Put down the 6" tabbing then Immediately follow up with the 12" and then start rolling out the resin over the entire transom and start laying the first full layer of 1708 and it should extend about 5" past the last tabbing. (TIP: Use masking tape to tape the glass to the top of the transom and drape it down, Makes it sooo much easier to deal with!!!).As soon as it tacks up start putting down the last full layer of 1708 extending it 5-6" past the last one. DONE!!! If you have everything pre-cut and stage your resin so all you have to do is dump the hardener in and mix when needed. You should be able to get this done in about 3 hours.;)

Last edited:

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks WOG. I will try and do that. Got some touch up grinding to do tomorrow, then I can lay the glass. Plus need to cut the tape.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got some time today for the boat. Glassed the transom. Got 1 layer of mat, then 6" 1708, 12" 1708, then two full layers of 1708. Went pretty well. WOG I did what you suggested. Roll out resin, then put the FG on dry then just roll it. Prior to this I tried to roll it out wet on cardboard, then put it in place and roll, and chase bubbles. Your way came out way better! It must have because I got it done in 2 hours. Thank God because it was getting hot and the under layers were curing. I'm happy with the results though.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh yeah!!! Tomorrow the stringers and bulkheads are going in. Used a 1/4" hotdog roller instead of 3/8". Worked better, because I could apply more pressure. Stoked :)