1970 gulfstream makeover... Somewhat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, No Problemo!!! Just thought I'd let you know you didn't have to if you didn't want to. It'll be fine either way. Once the holes are filled with resin and it's clamped flat, It'll be strong as a TANK!!!! The More RESIN RIVETS will be almost like a Full GLASS Transom!!!:D Yoi'll need to really butter up the back site with lot's of PB in order to have enuf to ooze out and fill all those holes!!!:eek:

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used a 1/4 x 1/4 notched trowel on BOTH surfaces to ensure enough PB in the joint, and I didn't press really hard on the trowel, so I actually got more than a 1/4" of PB. If I had to do again, I would probably go up to a 3/8 x 1/4, just to make sure.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey good work and great questions. Make sure you add milled fiberglass strand into your pb. On another note paer or plastic off the back of your transom so you don't have to spend time/money sanding out the ooze rivets.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hmmm or just keep up with and and use a scraper to remove the excess. Probably easier that way anyhow. Since you'l be doing some sanding and fairing anyways.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not worried about the back since it's the inside of the extension, but I know what you mean. Gonna eat some resin for sure, but probably nothing the 55 gal barrel wont handle. Lol. I should have one of those 3/8" trowels lying around. I bought a lot of milled fibers and chopped mat so should be crazy strong, along with 10 lbs of aerosil. I hope that'll be enough. I just didn't want to have to order more supplies and pay all the fees and shipping again.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

The supplies have arrived. Picked them up from the dock today. My friend let me borrow his trailer. It was good, I was able to take the drum off by myself. Got a storm coming so I made room in the garage for all of the 1708, mat, etc. Everything besides the 55 gal barrel and one 5 gal acetone. Hopefully I'll get some glassing done next week.

Attachments

• photo214888.jpg
    photo214888.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214889.jpg
    photo214889.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow! That's the way to buy supplies! Now get at 'er, lol.

Yep. Go big one time. No more shipping and hazmat fees plus I can make a few fish boxes for the big tunas, and marlins. Still saved from buying on island big time.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Got a lot of glass cut to fix holes, cracks, etc, and thicken the hull. Weather permitting, gonna try and lay it down tomorrow. Glad I made my fiberglass roll holder, and table. I also made a table/station to wet out and hold stuff while in the boat. Pretty nervous, it's been awhile since my last glassing job. Probably a year or two. This is by far my largest job though. Just the amount of glass is crazy, and this is only the first lay, many more to go. Aloha

Attachments

• photo215963.jpg
    photo215963.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215964.jpg
    photo215964.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215965.jpg
    photo215965.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
looking Sharp! No need to be nervous. It'll come right back to you like driving a boat...
And the beauty is if something is off a little bit you can make an easy fix of it.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Kcassels! Well laid some glass and it was going good until Mr Murphy showed up. I had a tyvek suit on and was sweating alot. It ended up coming out of the suit and ruining the laid resin. Oh well nothing that can't be fixed. BUT a big kick in the nuts!!! Its the white looking part towards the back on the hull. Guess its back to long sleeve and pants. But still super blessed. Aloha

Attachments

• 2015-02-23 19.20.51.jpg
    2015-02-23 19.20.51.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I don't see no white spots...Did I ever tell ya the time Zool came over and spilled his beer in my just laid glass?
Long story...Like they say in Phila.....Don't worrybout it.:cool:

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just worried that it will delaminate. Anyone have experience with water or beer:) spilling in the resin. Did you need to grind out all the glass?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WHEN did it get wet? was the resin still tacky or was it pretty much set up? How long was it wet? What did you do to get the wetness off of it?

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
It got wet during the layup. The water from my suit leaked out while I was laminating. I took a rag of acetone and took out the water that I could. I also cut out whatever didn't set up yet to alleviate the painful process of grinding. The other part that got laid up looked milky, and the 1708 stayed white, even soaked with resin. That's when I knew must of gotten water (sweat) on it. I'll check it on thursday, but planning on leaving that aft part and doing the bow now. Then if I need to do anymore grinding I'll do it all at once. The chines were a pain, especially transitioning from the transom, alot of angles to deal with. But I got it pretty good. I think I'm gonna mix PB and give the chines a radius, the 1708 didn't like the sharp angle. I thought I could get away with putting the 1.5 Oz mat under first but it was still a challenge. Plus the pieces that I tried to lay were 50x50 inches, too big with all the chines to deAL with. In the bow I'll cut the sizes down to be more manageable. The refrigerator trick was excellent, it gave me great working time. I did one right from the barrel and it set faster. Mahalo again for all the help.

Mark72233

Ensign
I had the same problem when I first laid out some 1708 over the stringers. I never could figure out why it had all those milky white spots.

Wood thought it might have been contaminated surface or 1708 cloth. I did the transom first and had no issues with it. I cleaned everything real well with acetone just like I had done the transom. It was summer, 90* and I was sweating bad also and hide sight that may have been the cause. The way my transom is I cant hover over it so no sweat was dropping on it. Who knows. I never had the issue again after that but I also started wetting out the wood more prior to laying down the cloth. I also started wetting out the cloth really good starting with the CSM side first then then flipping it over to the Biaxle side. I would then let it sit for 20-30 seconds on the layup table just soaking in the resin before I laid it out.

Now it usually looks like this does after it dries with that nice wet look to it.

Anyway your boat is looking good, keep up the good work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well If it's milky looking that's not a good sign. I dunno. but you might wanna consider a re-do. How much "Water" got on it and for how long? It's up to you but I'd wanna err on the side of caution. But that's just me.:D

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I err on the side of caution too. So whatever doesn't look good is getting the beat down with 40 grit flaps. Those pictures are spot on of mine, water and resin equal milk, and then grinding for me. This is the crucial bottom layers so I want to make sure it's good Aloha. Mahalo for all the input and stay warm up there. Aloha

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I had a couple of spots like yours but not nearly as much. I was pissed off thinking the neighbors cat got in my boat and pissed on the roll glass. Any moisture will do that. Are you covering up the roll? was there a water splash on the roll? Who knows but a grind and a fix will take care of it. Never had good looks when I tried to roll over the tops of the stringers. On the keel I soft rolled the edges so it laid better. Are you using a little air buuble roller and short bristle brush to move the air out?
Anyway.. Looking Great and soon you won't even have those issues as you move along.