1970 gulfstream makeover... Somewhat

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
The crack is about 5 feet long. I ground it out on one side today. Looks like just need to lay it up good. The two chines on the side of the "keel" have a crack but you can't see the other sides one. It didn't have the water bleed through like this side. After grinding all the junk out today, I'm thinking of laying two additional layers over the whole deck on top of the 6" and 12" 1708 over the chine areas, and stringer areas. Plus like WOG said earlier, need to add csm on the outside and fairing material.
boat crack.jpg

Attachments

• boat crack.jpg
    boat crack.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Amazing she still floated! Plan sounds perfect. How long of a time were those cracks there do you think? :yuck:
Happy Bird day!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well then, since you have PB and a wood Backer, CSM and One Layer of 1708 should be MORE than adequate on the inside. When you do the outside work, I'd do the same lay up, I'd grind and feather and lay a CSM, 1708 and 2 CSM's and then fair, Gelcoat sand and polish.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I stand corrected. Where those cracks are there's no wood just fiberglass. It's the other chines that has the stringers. I'm thinting to just lay heavy because this boat sees very rough water here and the hull is pretty thin as it is.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Went fishing on a buddies boat yesterday. Didn't get anything but was still fun. It was rough, but not the worst we've been out in. Have a great day and be safe. Aloha

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Amazing she still floated! Plan sounds perfect. How long of a time were those cracks there do you think? :yuck:
Happy Bird day!

It's not really that bad. Just a hairline Crack. Might look worse in the pic because of the brown water that stained as it came out. Not sure how long. I spotted them awhile ago and they looked like Crack in the gel coat. But went out on some really rough days and finished the fatiguing of the fiberglass. Not sure but I was having to pump the bilge more and couldn't figure why until I saw these.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
It cracked right where the previous owner put the gas tank. I think that the tank was resting right there causing a hard spot??? Plus the hull is thin for hawaiian waters. Our fishing area sees the roughest waters due to being the easterly/windward side. I just think that the hull is flimsy compared to other hulls built in Hawaii. But that's all changing now.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What type of seas do you get there when it starts getting rough (height and distance between). I've been in 2-3' in the Chesapeak Bay that would beat you up in a small power boat and I've been in big rollers so high you couldn't see over them standing on the cabin top of sailboats but that was fairly gentle, but it does freak you out a little to look at those monsters coming at ya! Are you fishing in water that is getting shallower near the island and those big long waves coming across the Pacific are starting to get an edge to em? Either way I bet you and the boat do take a beating out there sometimes!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kin,
Sounds like your going to re-reinforce the entire bottom hull. ? To make that ole gal an Hawaiian Kick Butt Rough Seas Tuna Collector. That's what I see. How you going to approach that plan of action.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
What type of seas do you get there when it starts getting rough (height and distance between). I've been in 2-3' in the Chesapeak Bay that would beat you up in a small power boat and I've been in big rollers so high you couldn't see over them standing on the cabin top of sailboats but that was fairly gentle, but it does freak you out a little to look at those monsters coming at ya! Are you fishing in water that is getting shallower near the island and those big long waves coming across the Pacific are starting to get an edge to em? Either way I bet you and the boat do take a beating out there sometimes!

A typical day out here is 5-7' and 15-20+ miles an hour. The swell period depends on the swell we have. But it's usually a short period between. Like you said, I prefer the larger rollers spaced out, but then again my home harbor gets downright scary with large waves. Our nice days are just that too though. Flat1-2' and no wind. These don't come too often. Our waters are why this island was never conquered by others in the old days. They tried crossing the channel from Oahu but it was too rough. I look back now to when I had my 14' Livingston with a cab and realize why people thought I was crazy to fish on the days I did. But when that's all you got you make due. Thank God for a bigger boat. Had one day this past summer that it was a beautiful day, then out of no where it turned really bad. Even the larger charter boats came in. I was lucky to make it back safe that day. I just remember thinking and praying that I just wanted to be on land already. Took a few waves right over the whole boat, it was crazy.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kin,
Sounds like your going to re-reinforce the entire bottom hull. ? To make that ole gal an Hawaiian Kick Butt Rough Seas Tuna Collector. That's what I see. How you going to approach that plan of action.
The plan is to lay first layer of 1.5oz mat. Then put down 6" and 12" 1708 tape on all chine areas, followed by two layers of 1708 over the bottom. Glass in the stringers with 6 and 12" 1708 tape and one Larger. Tie everything together with multiple bulkheads. I redid my Livingston, and that thing was a tank, just too small. Multiple layers of 1708 is good stuff. All the plan for now, but it constantly changes as I scour the internetime for ideas.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The plan is to lay first layer of 1.5oz mat. Then put down 6" and 12" 1708 tape on all chine areas, followed by two layers of 1708 over the bottom. Glass in the stringers with 6 and 12" 1708 tape and one Larger. Tie everything together with multiple bulkheads. I redid my Livingston, and that thing was a tank, just too small. Multiple layers of 1708 is good stuff. All the plan for now, but it constantly changes as I scour the internetime for ideas.

I think a NEW TANK is being MADE. Good plan.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
A typical day out here is 5-7' and 15-20+ miles an hour. The swell period depends on the swell we have. But it's usually a short period between. Like you said, I prefer the larger rollers spaced out, but then again my home harbor gets downright scary with large waves. Our nice days are just that too though. Flat1-2' and no wind. These don't come too often. Our waters are why this island was never conquered by others in the old days. They tried crossing the channel from Oahu but it was too rough. I look back now to when I had my 14' Livingston with a cab and realize why people thought I was crazy to fish on the days I did. But when that's all you got you make due. Thank God for a bigger boat. Had one day this past summer that it was a beautiful day, then out of no where it turned really bad. Even the larger charter boats came in. I was lucky to make it back safe that day. I just remember thinking and praying that I just wanted to be on land already. Took a few waves right over the whole boat, it was crazy.
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.08.14 AM.png

This is the report right now to give you an idea. I use wind finder as one of the websites to know when the weather will let up to go out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.08.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.08.14 AM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting closer. Got most of the grinding done to the hull. Just need to cut the liner out on the side, grind, and can start laying glass. Thank God!!! Burned up the 7 inch grinder gotta take it apart and look what's wrong.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm betting it's the brushes!!!! What brand is it. You can probably find replacements for it if it a name brand.

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm betting it's the brushes!!!! What brand is it. You can probably find replacements for it if it a name brand.
It's a ridgid from HD. I took the brushes out and they looked brand new. The grinDer has minimal use. The brushes are the things under the screw out cover that hits the appeture (???) right. Not sure but gotta look at it, it's has hardly any hours. I noticed it feeling funny so I blew out the dust. Not a good idea I guess. It made some big sparks and shUT down after that. My 4.5 ridgid went in for repairs before and I think it was th e bearings.