installing a deck?

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
shortly I'm going to be ready to install the new deck in my boat. how are you guys attaching it to the stringers? I've seen videos of using stainless screws and sealant, which I may do, but something about drilling pilot holes and running screws into my new sealed stringers just isn't appealing to me. would using PL to glue them in work correctly?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Will it work correctly?? Hmm, What's Correctly??? Don't really KNOW if there's a Correct way of doing this or not!!! Everyone has their own preferred way of doing it & it seems like and they all seem to work!!!:eek: I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. If you use PL, you'll need to keep a lot of weight on the deck for a minimum of 72 hours while it cures. Other than that, I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I'm kinda like SBB, in that, I just predrill, coat the screws and holes with resin and screw the deck down. It's gunna be sealed anyway and as long as you do proper care and maintenance it'll last for decades. The only reason it didn't in the first place was because the previous owner(s) abused her and let water get to where it wasn't supposed to. After all this hard work, I don't think You'll be doing that!!!;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree - screw it down, sealed with resin. then one last layer of glass cloth to cover the screws

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you have 3/4" plywood stringers doubled up, you can split them if you're not careful when running the screw down directly into the center of them, even with a pilot hole. If you do, you'll hear it.
I agree with the others. My stringers are 12" wide fiberglass so what I did was PB under the deck joints(which is overkill), PL over the long expanses of stringers for "padding" and some adhesion, then predrill holes, chamfer the holes so the screws sit below the surface, coat screw with resin, screw down. PB flush over screw head.
On a 4'x6' expanse of deck, I screwed the joints down where they meet each other but only used 4 screws for the rest of each deck piece. The factory used silicone and minimal screws to minimize rattling.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the info. the way it's looking I'll be doing a ton of glassing next friday!!! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Don't listen to Rick Ryder! Just because his boat restoration is one of the BEST on the Forum! and Just because his Attention to Detail is unquestionable, And just because his work is impeccable, He Thinks he can tell people how to do things and they should listen to him...Hmmm On second thought maybe you should!!!!:D:eek:;) Rick, it's REALLY good to see you posting. You should do it a LOT more often. I HOPE things are going well at your house!!!!

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Attaching the deck without screws works very well..... until the deck comes loose from the stringers. When you screw the deck to the stringers along with whatever sealant, glue or resin / glass you use, it ain't coming undone. The screws add about 500 percent more likelihood that it ain't going to separate. Ask me how I know... Ok, things come undone easier when they are not screwed together. You can do it without screws in some places, but the twisting of the hull longitudinally can stress those glue joints tremendously. Yes, I've experienced separations.

rickryder

Commander
Thanks Wood! I'm going to try to get here more often! The Admiral just had a pet scan to see if chemo is still working.....awaiting results....

Last edited: