Engine / Outdrive swap

Wizard28

Recruit
I currently own an Evinrude Sportsman boat with a 155 Buick V6. I am looking to move towards a different engine. I am wondering if anyone knows when ( or if ) OMC switched to the aluminum block V6. I don't imacing the outdrive will bolt up but I suppose I need a donor boat for everything I need.

Bondo

Staff member
I currently own an Evinrude Sportsman boat with a 155 Buick V6. I am looking to move towards a different engine. I am wondering if anyone knows when ( or if ) OMC switched to the aluminum block V6. I don't imacing the outdrive will bolt up but I suppose I need a donor boat for everything I need.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You'll probably be better off, swappin' the Entire driveline, as there's few parts for yer drive, just like the motor,....

The aluminum Buick wasn't put in boats,...

Wizard28

Recruit
I thought that may be the case, seems like I remember something about aluminum blocks and salt water but then again the outdrives are alloy so I don't know. I'm in Ohio so I'm not concerned with salt water. I guess I need to find out what year drive-line to get. Maybe someone out there knows when they changed the design. I know the boat won't be worth what I put into it but, as ugly as they were, they handled well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Like Bondo Said, the old OMC power plants are NOT the easiest things to work on nowadays. You might wanna think twice before you sink a lot of time and money in on this boat and motor. Emphasis on the "SINK"!!!:eek::D;) What kind of Outdrive does it have? Pics really help us to help you. That way we can see what you see when you're working on it. Photobucket is the best way to post your pics. Just upload em to there then copy and paste the IMG Code directly into your iBoats thread. Easy Smeazy!!!

Last edited:

Wizard28

Recruit
Well, I know it would be cheaper to get a newer boat but I just love this old pig. The v6 buick is near bullet proof but the old cobra drive is hard to get parts for. Thought I'd get a neser donor boat with a bit newer drive and go from there. I'm newly retired and want to do this as a project. I was thinking of an aluminum block GM v6 ( it's fresh water ) but I would need a newer drive anyway so why not?

Wizard28

Recruit
Sorry, meant newer not neser donor boat, I'd go with a FI set up too. This old 1bbl rochester is a turd!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, more power to ya!!! I wish you well and hope you can find everything you need to get her back on the water!!!! Keep us posted on your progress!!! WE LOVE PICS!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The sky's the limit if you can imagine it, have the desire and money then it can be done!

I went from a 1970 MC 120 HP cast iron lump in my Chief to an Alpha One 4.3 with 205 HP.