Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Special smurf brownies just may come in handy ! I still have a few left from the MFG .. No expiration date on them so I guess there still good .. :D
When you made the skins did you use a layer of csm before the 1708 ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice work all around but especially w the prep and fab pre-pour

IMO, Smurf brownies wouldn't be nearly as tasty if made w/ the red hardener, no matter how much milk comes w/ each serving.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, the transom is two layers of 1708 with one layer of 2oz chop on top for good measure. If I recall correctly, secast calls for two layers of 17oz biax, so I have a little extra. No problems at all with flexture. In fact I had a brace to put on top of the forward bulk head to keep it from bowing out, but didn't need it. I'm too used to pouring concrete, this stuff is a different critter for sure. The front bulkhead is just two layers of 1708, which seems like plenty. It stiffened up the hull even before the seacast.

Thanks JB. I try to think through things before I do the work, and plan it out....sometimes that works :D

The red hardener brownies go down find, you just have to chase them with a shot of acetone :eek:

tallcanadian

Captain
Great job so far. Of course I wouldn't expect any less from you. I think ''Bullet Proof'' would be a great name for this boat. It certainly will take a beating.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Thanks again for taking the time to post your progress and the videos. I've wondered if the seacast would add much more weight to the boat, but as you pointed out it's about the same weight as a good plywood. I'm always glad to learn new ways to build these boats. Your making all this work look very doable even for an inexperienced guy like me.

I agree "Bullet Proof" would be a good name. Another one that comes to mind is "Bad A##" painted up to look like the BA's van from the A-team. Although a black boat is pretty hot in the sun.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks TC, nice of you to stop by, I need to get caught up on you latest build.....don't know how I missed it! Fuggly has kind of grown on me for a name I have a couple ideas for the graphic.....need to sit down and put them on paper one of these days.

Tnstratofam, most of it really isn't that hard if you have some basic wood working skills. If your making a flat skin, all you need is something flat and some packing tape! If you think your way through it, step by step, it isn't hard at all.....and the seacast is easy, drill, PPE, mixing bit, funnel, rubber hammer and a few sticks , putty knives and you are good to go. I think its cool that you can make about any shape with it.

Black always looks cool, but I could fry eggs on in a week or two in OK! I did order a new Milwaukee buffer this week (to replace the one that was stolen last years.....I'd love to get my hands on that guy). Fro now I'm going to buff her out. I may paint her next year, but I haven't really though much about what color I would go with. I could of course go with a nice shade of crimson :D she would match Miss Morgan and my favorite football team!

dozerII

Admiral
Great video, Arch, I get itchy just watching them. Very innovative the way you are doing the project.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Cor,!

Dozerll, I'm not the best at the videos, but I am getting better. Hopefully it helps make more sense out of what I am talking about in terms of the process. I was thinking that I need to send seacast some pics of this method....who knows, maybe it might become a option for them. Beats redoing the gelcoat for sure.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend....but I wasn't all the motivated, think I need some time off. Here is what I did get done after the seacast pour, over the weekend and tonight.

Saturday I grownd down the top of tthe forward bulkhead, and radiused it. I also cleaned up the transom where we poured in the secast, and also the motor mount. I also knocked down the nibs on the glass over the self leveling seacast....and generally cleaned up where I spilled secast. After that I blew all the dust out. That night I was going to cut out the last of the below deck glass and tabbing. But right as I started we had heavy storms heading this way with small torndaos....so i retreated to the house (close to the cellar :D ) So sunday I laid out the tabbing / glass.

I wet out part of it, then just hung out on Monday. I wet out the rest of it tonight.

There are a few spots that look like air, but its actually the spilled seacast that I sanded smooth. I figured why knock it all the way down since it and fiberglass both bond to each other well. The motor mount isn't going anywhere by the way :D

Tonight I played with the gelcoat some after wetting out the glass. the plan is to wet sand with 1000, then 1500 grit. After that follow up with 3M super duity compound and finish it with 3M finesse it II compound. Turned out pretty well considering I buffed it by hand. I ordered new one to replace the one that the Bleeeeeeep sold....should have it later this week.

Before

After

Not bad, I bet the buffer will slick it up nicely.

I have some video that I will post later, now its time for a shower, and something to eat.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice! Looking very solid. Nothing worse than a ^$@/&$ thief! I've had tools stolen before too, and the English language doesn't have enough foul words to adequately express how I feel about those kind of people.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Nurseman, I am very pleased with the seacast again. I am also impressed with the self leveling product, easy to use and just totally solid. Sam I think the buffer will really bring it out.....it heats up things slightly, which typically creates in nice finish. She should look like a new quarter pretty soon!

Here is a quick video on the last of the below deck glass.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
by the way its perfect it, not finesse it. Finesse it is a swirl mark remover. Perfect it is a light duty rubbing compound that breaks down in to finer and finer grit as you buff it. The other rubbing compound is super duty, which is much courser than the perfect it.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
WOW! Thanks Arch! I just might give this a try and see how it goes. Certainly will beat the hell out of having to paint!

Thanks again!
Ryan

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hopefully that will work for you. Getting good compound will make life much easier. I would also recommend a wool bonnet for the buffer. I use a double sided one, that has a built in backing plate. The nice thing about them, is that once both sides are dirty, you just toss it in the washing machine, then your good to go again. There are some other one sided options out there too.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The sun was out today, so I took another pic, which shows the shine better

Cleaned the shop today, getting ready for the deck install