Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam and cor, thanks for your thoughts. I started laying up the first layer of glass. I wanted it tight to the mold so I formed and shaped it.....then wet it out from the top. This is a pic before i wet it out

I forgot to take a wet pic before I headed out for lunch. After I get back I will sand any higher spots wit a sander and repeat a few times.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Transom fab work looks great. Looking forward to seeing the SeaCast progressing

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks JB! I have been working on editing some video tonight, some of what I have posted will probably make more since after I have them up, I have been fighting with my editor but finally got one up. This is more of an update / discussion of what the plan is. I'll have a few more that show the work in progress.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is the next video, explaining how I did the layout, made the template and why I cut the top of the plug at 12 degrees

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Sam, hopefully it is helpful for people who haven't used Seacast. Here is the fun part, removing it from the plug.....or trying too, lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here are a few pics to go along with the videos. My layup was 2 layers of 1708 and 1 layer of 2 oz mat. Secast recommends two layers of 17 oz biax, so this should be overkill. I had to add some heat to get it to fire off because a cold front rolled through.

This is the layup right before I pulled it off.

And the final product:

I'm working on the forward bulkhead today, time to run out and check on my latest lay up!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
About midway through when you were really pulling on it . I thought for sure it would pop off and go flying ! :pound:
Persistence paid off though ...
Ok so with the formed rolled top edge how ya getting the seacast in there ? Make a few cut outs in it then glass them up after the pour ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thank you Sam.....
formed rolled top edge
........why I couldn't think of using that to articulate my description of what I was doing is beyond me.....hmmm maybe the poly vapors :D

You are correct, after tabbing in, I'm going to cut a section out and pour the seacsast. I was thinking about 3, center and one on each sided. Today I was thinking about how we did Miss Morgan and I think I'm going to run with the single center opening and some vents on the top of the port and starboard wings. I can always come back later and fill in any voids if I have them.

Thanks Cor! I finally had some time to focus on the old girl.

I have both forward bulkhead skins laid up, now its steak time!

zool

Captain
I enjoyed those videos arch, and youre getting quite good at them..

Looking forward to the pour..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Zool, I was wondering this morning if I crashed the forum uploading all of them last night, lol.

After reading Sam's post on his footings, and this is what flashed into my mind when you said "pour"...

I just remembered the footing pour on the Hanger, when I had one of the guys from the office helping (sort of) my Dad and myself. (Dad was a framer and built houses, grew up on construction sites starting at age 1.) The mud showed up and Dad and I both said BLEEP at the same time, The guy helping is a great guy, but the only thing he knew about concrete is what he read in college (till that day). He said "what is wrong?" My Dad just said "the driver is going to suck"......."how do you know?" " the truck is wore out, they don't give those to the good drivers", lol! I hope my pour goes smoother than that one!

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Love the videos Arch, I only work on tin boats now but spent many hours itching and stinking, Now I'm alergic to the stuff. I'm real interested to see how this seacast stuff works.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome videos arch! It was entertaining watching you try to pull the mold off the plug.:D I'm glad you're posting up the videos and pics of this layup. I think it will really help anyone thinking this is too hard a job watching your progress. I think people get intimidated by the thought of working with fiberglass and seacast so they end up giving up on a worthy project when the individual jobs themselves aren't really all that hard.Looking forward to the next installment.:pop2:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Dozer, this is the fun part.....its nice to see it start going back together!

Tnstratofam, I figured someone would find that entertain! After I was finished, I thought, "why didn't you just trim the bottom off to start with, lol!

I'm going to work on the motor mount today, and yes Zool mow the grass later, lol! The plug will more or less just be some 2x6s nailed together and wrapped with packing tape. That got me to thinking about the height of it. I probably need to do some research, but my thought is that it should be the same height, relative to the bottom of the hull, as the original mount. It will set 11" further forward, but that section of the hull is flat, its also where I will pour the self leveling seacast. Does that sound about right? I'm thinking the crank shaft should be about parallel to the bottom of the deck in this area. I did have quite a bit of adjustment on the front mount, so I don't think its going to be an issue......but then I don't want to do it twice either! (both the 6 and the 4 use the same front motor mount by the way)

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
liked the video of the skin removal. i am following your tread looking for ideas. i too am prepairing to pour some seacast. i fixed some holes in my outer skin just now and am getting ready to fabricate an inner skin, i was thinking of laying down some wax paper on a sheet of plywood as my inner skin will be flat. wonder if packing tape would be better? keep up the good work and good luck:encouragement:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cool, the packing tape works well. but if you have a piece of gloss formica, that works even better. That is what I used on Miss Morgan's transom. easy and popped right off! The flat layups are a lot easier to get off the mold, so either way works. I haven't tried waxed paper, but if you go that route I would make sure to get the wax off the backside of the skin.

Well as Zool predicted, I got caught up in yard work today....or maybe I caught up on my yard work today, lol! We have rain rolling in and I wanted to get a few things taken care of. Hope everyone had a great Sunday!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
As always excellent work!!! And a great video looking forward to the pour