Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Now that's better! Well done Arch. Vaaarrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm.........................................

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well done, loved the giggle of glee. something I am guilty of as well. Onward and upward

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all the comments....spent the day working on fixing the flashing details the idiots who skinned the hanger screwed up......don't get me started,,,,,,,,,bleeep bleep......bleep idiots. Anyhow it was unload scaffolding.....put it up, breaking it down.....move it .....put it up.......you get the picture, crawled back to the house.....bleeeping idiots! I have to take credit, should have done it myself the frist time. I am amazed at how little pride people take in their work.

back to boat stuff, I'm going to pull the 6 out tomorrow, hook her up to water and fuel and let her run for a while.....looking forward to hearing her purr!

zool

Captain
Nobody in the trades, besides the owners, care as much about the quality anymore, its all just time and money now...that's why my hands are so calloused as they are!.....Hope she runs like a clock for you tomorrow Arch...if not, im sure you'll get her there!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
sadly you are pretty much correct Mr Zool. I do enjoy it whenever I have a project with a really good superintendent. I had a project with one a few months ago....all Kenneth had to do was just look at a sub who wasn't doing outstanding work and they would just sort of whither up an meekly say, "yes sir, we will take it all out and redo it correctly." The skinny crackhead drywaller argued with him one day....never saw him again....I wonder if they will find him burried under the parking lot in 20 years or so?

Its beautiful here today looks like a good day to fire up the six banger and tune her up!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
." The skinny crackhead drywaller argued with him one day....never saw him again....I wonder if they will find him burried under the parking lot in 20 years !

Nope he just showed up on one of my crews and I had to send em back to his meth lab ..... :D

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Archbuilder, my experience with 165 was great. A couple of things to beware of -- micro switches for neutral start (there are two, on in the shifter at the dash, one on the transom in the shifter mechanism); engine alignment; engine coupler (if the engine and outdrive were ever out of alignment, the coupler will be toast -- it will overheat and spin); motor mounts at transom must be done correctly -- washers, lock washers. Make sure you have brass freeze plugs and working drain cocks on the exhaust manifold and block, drain it at end of season and fill with antifreeze. On mine, I replaced the vacuum advance for the carb choke with a manual choke, bought the 16' cable from a small engine repair shop. It worked great. The 165 had plenty of power, sipped gas, was reliable. And on your outdrive, make sure the u-joints are good, that the drive is properly filled with lube. And NEVER re-use the o-ring on the outdrive. Always replace it and use the sealer. If you don't, the boat will sink. I have the t-shirt.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Weareallnuts for the tips. The coupler looks good,, but I also have a spare now. I have my motor mount bolts (and everything else) in a labled bag. For some reason i'm thinking they were lock nuts...but I maybe wrong. Everything looked factory in terms of hardware, but I will take a look at it again. What is the issue with the micro switches? Do they fail frequently? It looks like my transom mount actually has two micro switches, but I think one of them maybe a trim limit.

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Captain, not sure if micro switches in mine failed because of age or salt water immersion, but if you're ever in the boat and try to start it and it turns over great but has no fire, the micro switches in the shifter box or at the transom shifter linkage may be the reason. The one in the shifter box is to insure a "neutral start." The one on the transom is to momentarily kill fire to the engine when you shift into gear to take the load off the gears. Simple system, but it worked well. The other thing I thought you might want to research, mine didn't have -- inside the exhaust manifold riser, according to the Mercruiser manual if memory is correct, there was supposed to be a flapper to prevent water coming in the exhaust from getting past the riser and into the manifold and engine. Might have had something to do with why my boat sank...
Great job on the motor, it's beautiful! I loved the sound of my 165, it was so smooth and quiet.

When you mount the engine and outdrive, you'll want to bleed the air out of the tilt/trim system. Manual tells you how and it's a two man job. If the tilt/trim motor/pump/reservoir does not do the job, first and only remedies are 1) rebuild the cylinders, which is easy with kits available; and 2) replace the valve body/motor/pump. It cannot be rebuilt or adjusted. I have that t-shirt, too.

Last edited:

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The coupler should never be an issue if the engine is properly aligned. But if not, the engine will rev and the boat will stop and you'll smell burned rubber...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
One more weekend fixing flashing on the hanger....then I can finally get back to Fuggly. I hate it when doing responsible maintenance / repairs gets in the way of tinkering with toys! Looking forward to running the motor then getting going on putting her back into one piece!

Willyclay

Captain
Hang in there Arch. While we understand your priorities, we may hate it more than you!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Finally got all 6 awnings up. I still need to cut the side panels and screw them on, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours,

We also capped the overhead door jams and head. The overhead doors and awnings have through wall flashing at the head, which should solve most of the leak issues. I think some was coming in around the jambs when we had wind driven rain (its always wind driven here!) So all of the doors and window jambs got capped. I'm going to spend a few evenings working on the side panels, then it will be done finally! Today I am going to the southwest nationals street rod show, which will be fun! Next weekend, back to Fuggly!

Last edited:

zool

Captain
That looks really good arch!..now almost time for the grass to start growing :eek:

The chores never end.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I really should mow the grass again tomorrow night.....or I can ignore it and start working on the transom, forward bulkhead, motor mount.....or I could just wait for the weekend....guess the grass will just keep growing :D

I was looking last night and as bad as I hate to admit it, I need to do a little more grinding in a few areas. Its going to rain all weekend, so getting that done would put me on track to start glassing in the shop Friday night :D I ordered some six 10 epoxy and another 5 gallons of resin, so I think I am stocked up for the big push. I used the six 10 to glue down the plywood deck on Miss Morgan, that worked out nicely. I'm planning on the same thing here, the only difference is the ledger board along the port and starboard. I think I will glue that down and let it cure, then install the plywood later in a separate step.

I was thinking through the steps for the seacast tonight. I need to pour the self leveling seacast on the flat parts of the sponsons / center pod pretty early on. I think I will put the transom skin in, then pour and cap the self leveling stuff, then install the motor mount skin. That should allow me to pour the transom, motor mount and forward bulkhead all at the same time...which will eliminate waste.

Time to get the girl back in one piece!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sounds like you've got a good plan of attack. I may be in the minority here, but I think yard work should come in way down on the list of things to do around the homestead when there is boat work to be done. However at my house the Admiral tends to frown upon a poorly maintained landscape when I point out there are other more pressing things needing my attention in the shop.:becky: She always wins out.:facepalm:

Good luck on finishing up the grinding, and getting started with your seacast prep. I'm looking forward to seeing it done.