Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Jake, seems the videos I saw were about 50 / 50 on pinesol or simple green. I saw some pinesol at the store today, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I think that might work better on brass for gun cleaning. I don't have any simple green, but I did try Zep heavy duty degreaser and cleaner. I tried the same thing, one cup and filed the rest with water. I ran the fuel bowl through again and notices more gunk came off that the Pinesol didn't get off. I have been really impressed with the Zep product, more so that the simple green for general degreasing. I'll have to try simple green for this, may work better. Guess it really depends on what you are cleaning. I'm sure the zep and simple green are bases, I'm wondering if pinesol is an acid? That might explain why the rust came off the wire I hung the carb with. Did you use the simple green strait or did you dilute it? Most of the videos I saw were diluted, but a couple folks just used Pinesol or simple green strait.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Again, the butterfly had spent a day or two in the Berriman's so it was pretty clean. But the ultrasonic knocked the last layer of carbon and junk off. This carb was really really nasty.

Not much difference in the pics, but in person you can tell it got things clean right down to the metal.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
In the beginning I used it diluted. Pretty much straight now. I have not used it much in years since I changed my business model, now I just keep carbs cleaned by routine maintenance as I don't take on many new customers and I make sure its a boat I want to work on and be responsible for.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info, I'm going to keep experimenting with it. Very useful toy, wish I had gotten one years ago!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Minor update. Got the carb all cleaned up, I still had some white junk in the bottom of the accelerator well that the zep cleaner and pinsol wouldn't touch. I played chemist and decided it was probably aluminum oxide or some magnesium variant. So I added vinigar to the ultrasonic cleaner, put in the float bowl section and crossed my fingers. I figured it would kill it or cure it.....seems to have worked out fine and no more white stuff. So this weekends mission is to put the carb back together, and try to start the beast!

I also went on a shopping spree tonight and ordered lots of goodies. Fiberglass resin, CSM, and biax from fiberglasssite.com. All the glass on Miss Morgan is from them, nice people, good resin and prices.

Next was Areomarine, bought the 10 gallon kit of 2# foam....going to need those big buckets for this girl! Again, nice small company, the owner called me back and answered questions when I was doing Miss Morgan.

I also ordered the seacast and self leveling seacast. (I love starting controversy on here) I'll try to do some detailed videos on the process. I was a little intimidated before I did Miss Morgan, but it was actually one of the really fun parts! 5 gallons of play-doh looking goo!

So the UPS guy should be showing up at my office a lot! I will have to order more resin, but it doesn't take that long to get it, and 5 gallons should be a good start.

I'm ready for the weekend to get here! The warm weather has got me pumped about getting this girl back together! (the interior maybe a little redneck summer, but back on the water!)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great progress !
On the self leveling seacast ... Thats going down on the bottom of the hull right ? Are you sure you don't need the reg transom /stringer mixture ? idk ...
Is this what seacast recommended for that application ? I mean if the hull curves up hill the self level may want to sag or run back down ...
Just thinking ... I;m sure ya got a good plan ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Willy.

Sphelps, I think the self-leveling will work fine, it is for the bottoms of the sponsons and center pod. It repaces some 1/4" plywood that was only "glued down" (sort of) and not tabbed in other than one or two small spots. I'm planning on pouring it then reinforcing the top.with several layers of glass. The areas in question are pretty much perfectly flat. I watched a video on using it for a deck, pretty much the same application. I haven't used it have you? I think the normal seacast would be a pain for that.....guess you would have to just mix it thin.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nope haven't used the s/l stuff yet so I'm kinda eager to see how it goes ..
Still pondering using it on my next 2 projects ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
You made me think about it, so I called them today. They said what I am planning to do will work fine. They did say that the minimum thickness is 1/2", which was what I was planning anyhow. Well at least the "goodie fairy" is headed to my place! Now to get the motor up and going this weekend!

zool

Captain
You made me think about it, so I called them today. They said what I am planning to do will work fine. They did say that the minimum thickness is 1/2", which was what I was planning anyhow. Well at least the "goodie fairy" is headed to my place! Now to get the motor up and going this weekend!

I guess you have to make sure the hull is level before pouring?..or it cures offset?...Im curious to see how it turns out...I could use it to fill the 1" space between the bottom of my engine bilge and the garboard drain...it always hold some water.

Good job cranking right along Arch!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks zool. You are correct on leveling it and pouring it. I may have to do that in sections depending on how flat it is. But it does bond to its self. It will either work great or be a complete disaster depending on if I do my homework! I talked to Wolfgang's daughter (now the president of the company) she said they also have a carbon fiber seacast now, but haven't marketed it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok I finally got the carb back together this morning......that was a bit of a cleaning adventure. The vinegar made the carb a little dull / dark looking, but got the last of the junk out of it.

I'm somewhat concerned that I have an extra screw, you can see it in the pic. I went back and looked at my dis-assembly pics and it doesn't show up....and I can't find a single place for it to fit. I figure either I will never know where it goes, or it will become crystal clear when I try to start the motor! :D

Back to the parts store...I have 1/4" and 3/8" fuel line and need 5/16".....go figure!

Last edited:

zool

Captain
That's how I fill my used screw jars ;)...at least it looks like it belongs on the outer casing or linkage, so you may be able to just "add it later"

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hope it just goes in my used screw bin Zool!

Good news, I got it to turn over using my remote starter. A couple of notes, the outside starter threads were drilled out on this block, over sized and replaced with a sloppy bolt. When I first tried the starter, the teeth wouldn't mesh. I took a block of wood and a hammer and tapped it sideways till they meshed. So that is going to be something I have to sort out. After I got that worked out, no spark from the coil. I think it is one or more interlock switches on the out drive. I'm going to run to the store tomorrow and pick up a couple of male plugs and jump them. I think they are normally closed. I hope that fixes it, I really want to get her running and get back to the deck and transom. I also need to pick up some fuel line for the portable outboard tank I have. So I hope to have a running motor by the end of tomorrow!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I've been feeling like crud the last few days, including Sunday. So I haven't made any progress on the motor / boat, but I do have a nice stack of goodies building up!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ohh boy ! almost time for the fun part !
Wish all that was in my garage right now ... :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You can have the resin, Sam, Ill take the Kubota! :D

Well I could use the tractor too . But if go get the Kubota just scoop up the supply's with the bucket .Then head down 95 south and and dump em in over my fence on your way home ... :)