Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA I did have an autometer oil pressure gauge in a truck that had a tube that went from the engine to the gauge. But that had barbed connections and was a single brass fitting on the engine side. This one is plastic, two outlets and no barbs. It has to be some kind of vacuum switch, but for what I have no clue.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Those always use small diameter tubing. That thing mystifies me. Maybe some day. :noidea:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Maybe Iboats should create a "investigation department" that we could send weird things to for evaluation, lol! The CSI of boat repair :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So setting here somewhat frustrated. We had a UPS fail today, my ultrasonic cleaner was "delayed by weather". So no clean carb this weekend. I was hoping to fire her up....guess I will tinker with the wiring harness and mount her to the pallet, then start cleaning up the drive. I was really pumped about getting the carb cleaner around noon today and getting it back together tonight. Oh well, par for the course when it comes to boat restoration!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry for the delay....just think though, only have to wait till Sept 5th, till OU football starts, Nov 28th till we get to whip OSU's behind!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Boomer Sooner!

I got the motor off the stand, and the flywheel, coupler, starter and flywheel cover on. The starter was a bit of a chore, but finally it went on. I also had the customary trip to the parts store, the bolt fairy seems to have ran off with one of my packages of bolts. How does that happen when you put everything in ziplock bags and label it? Heading back out to tinker with the wiring harness for a while. After that I am down to carb, hopefully the cleaner comes in on Monday.

dozerII

Admiral
Actually, his name is Murphy and he visits all boat builders shops once in a while, and some times he even screws with the UPS guys:D Motor looks really nice.

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Boomer Sooner!

, the bolt fairy seems to have ran off with one of my packages of bolts. How does that happen when you put everything in ziplock bags and label it?

The bag of bolts is probably sitting next to the cabin hatch corner I so carefully put in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it :facepalm:

Don't worry, it will show up right after you replace them :D

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah while fixing my jeep I got the due to weather twice. But on the bright side that motor is prettying up your shop.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sphelps, dozerll, Zool.....the "Fairy's" name could be Hedi.....a certain German Shepard I have, who like to take things out of the shop. Usually blocks of wood, but next summer I maybe mowing and "find" the bag of bolts, lol! I questioned her a about it, she just gave me that "I don't know" look!

I started using water tight butt splices for the wiring harness modifications. After I did the first two wires I changed my mind and I'm going to solder them and heat shrink them. If I do get a back connection it will be a mess to find it, epically once I put split loom on the wires. Also, if I have a couple of butt connectors next to each other, they will make a "lump" in the harness that might not fit so well in the split loom. I also just feel better with a solder connection. Now If I can just find my rosin core solder......

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Making progress....but had to go by a new solder iron, keeled over...so to speak!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
All wired up and ready to go. I ended up soldering the smaller wires and using the butt connectors with heat shrink insulation for the 10 and 12ga wires

Once we get her going I will put on split loom and clamps to tidy thing up. Hopefully we will have a ultrasonic cleaner show up tomorrow.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Why so many butt connectors in the red wire coming from the alternator? couldn't you just replace it easier?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
your seeing two separate wires, one goes to the alternator, the other goes to the slave starter solenoid.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
There is also a yellow wire that looks red in the pic, it also goes to the slave solenoid.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
testing the new toy tonight!

I'm not sure if this is a good pics, the carb is already pretty clean, its just some of the passages are still dirty.

I put one cup of Pinesol in with the water. This is a pick when I first dropped it in....not sure I have a sense of smell now, all I smell is pine now! This is a shot of when I first turned it on:

Here is a pic after 5 minutes.

I used a rusty piece of tie wire to hang it up, it was shinny and clean at this point. So far I am pretty happy with the unit. The heat seems to take a while to warm up the water. I had it set to 130 degrees, but I do have the lid off. I figured the heating element wouldn't exactly be hell for hot, so not a big surprise. It did get there but took about 15 minutes.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I have tried pinesol in a similar unit. I found "simple green" works better. Simple green will turn stainless parts a darker color but does not seem to affect the steel. I do not know if it is still available. I bought my unit back in 07 and have been useing the same ten gallons, strained through a deep fryer filter since. I prolly have seven gallons left.