Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is the after action report. I got started this morning trying to get the transom out. The upper 3/4 was in good shape, but the bottom was rotten and nasty. It wasn't mulch yet, but on its way....wet, slimmey and smelled like rotten fruit, go figure? After chiseling on it two weeks ago, with out much success, I came up with a new approach. I bought a Rockwell 4-1/2" circular saw....I've been toying with getting one for a while, but this seemed like a good project for it. Its not going to replace my Skill Model 77 7-1/4" worm drive, but its size was nice in the tight space.

My plan was to cut the transom up into squares or rectangles....or whatever, just small sections.

Once I did that, a couple of whacks with a hammer on a chisel knocked the bulk of the wood free.

The depth of the saw is critical of course, I had it set just shy of the thickness of the plywood. After the large chunks are taken out, its a matter of cleaning up the last thin layer of wood to get to the glass. I will say that seems to be one of the down falls of this saw. The depth is easy to set, but it is also easy to hit the lever. allowing the saw to plunge farther than you want.....

Opps....nothing a little glass and gelcoat won't fix :D

You can see the nasty stuff here...glad I decided to tear it out while I had her apart.

This is where I left it tonight.

I have a feeling I will be sore after rolling around on the deck all day! Hope everyone had a great Saturday!

Willyclay

Captain
I just got home this afternoon from a week in Denton, TX where the wind was out of the North all week. Every time I went outside, I started to itch. Comments?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thats the strangest looking transom I think I;ve ever seen ..... Have you decided what your going back with yet ?

dozerII

Admiral
Your making great progress Arch,I don't know how you glasser guys do it, ripped one apart yesterday to scrap and broke out in a rash on my arm form doing one cut. :facepalm:

So would this be an idea for a new TV show

Through the K Hole with Archbuilder :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sphelps, there are a lot of things that are strange on this boat, I think that is why I was interested in it. I'll be curious to see what comments I get about it on the beach next summer. I usually get something along the lines of "what is it" or "where id you get it" when I have Miss Morgan out.

Dozerll, this isn't exactly the fun part....but its almost over.....you just have to hang in there slowly chipping away! i'm going to get the rest of the transom out today and hopefully the boards on the bottom of the sponsons up. I probally could get a little grinding done, but its going to be 40 with wind gust to 40 today, so I think I will put that off to next weekend. We are supposed to have good weather where I can do it outside.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
You know it's kind of funny I never noticed that there was no spedo.

I hope I can get the gauges working. Hopefully the sending units / tach outputs on the 6 will work with the gauges.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is there a cylinder setting switch on the back of the tach? No switch means it is for 4 cylinder only and it will be read high (or is it the other way ?) for a 6. The rest of the gauges should work OK.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA I don't think there is, I was wondering about that. I'll have to study it a little more and see what I can figure out.

Pretty much finished up the transom today and 2 of the 3 boards on the sponsons / center pod. I'll take the other out later this week they come up easy. Now for the last major round of grinding next weekend, yeah! :D After that its all down hill!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA you got me to thinking, so I went out to the shop and looked. As I remembered, no switch.....but there was a funky looking little plug. Pulled it out and there is a philips adjustment screw. Turns easily right or left, doesn't seem to have any stops. I'm guessing this is how you adjust it to the engine

I guess the question is how you set it, assuming that the screw is an adjustment.

I think the hull is reminding me of the hull of an amphibious jeep I saw once. It's not the same by any means, but there was this extra space on this amphibious thing for a drive shaft. Reminicent of the hump in the middle of the back floor in a Datsun 120y, but only when it was out of the water and upside down. :)

I'm pretty sure I'm making perfect sense :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
120 it does look a lot like a WW II DUWK truck....thought when I first bought it.

Got the motor painted tonight

Hopefully pull the tape off tomorrow and start bolting all the new stuff on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the motor works as promised!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Shiny motor!

E3892DDF055D34885CC88C6677576831.jpg

:D:thumb: Hope she's a good runner.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It will look better in fuggly, lol! I still have a lot of misc, stuff to clean up and paint....but now its time to start putting the motor back together! I should be able to finish the grinding and last bit of demo this weekend, finally heading in the right direction!

120 it does look a lot like a WW II DUWK truck....thought when I first bought it.

Got the motor painted tonight

Hopefully pull the tape off tomorrow and start bolting all the new stuff on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the motor works as promised!

I cant believe you knew what I was talking about. That really is the thing I was pointing to.

I've never felt so understood :)

:)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
lol 120 glad I knew what you were talking about!

Tinkered with the motor for a while tonight, took the masking tape off, put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders....figured after sitting for so long it couldn't hurt! put on the new oil filter, gapped and installed the plugs. For some strange reason my new rotor cap has 8 places for plug wires.....doesn't fit on a 6 cylinder distributor very well, lol! The rotor bug fit fine, not sure what is up but I'm running both of them back to the parts store tomorrow and double checking the number on the bug.

One thing I haven't sorted out is this thing.

Its between the oil sender and the distributor. Looks like it is set up for vacuum lines, I'm wondering if this is left over from a car? It looks like the block was from a car, not an original mercruiser block. Anyone have a guess? I looked at some of the parts diagrams, from what I can see I think there is supposed to be a pipe plug in that hole.

I also finished up cleaning the butterfly valves on the carb. I may get to putting that back together tomorrow night. I found a good video on dual jets when I did the jeep, same carb more or less. I want to watch that again and study up. Off to grill a nice pork chop for dinner, don't ask me why I am grilling outside in a 30 mph wind when it is 32, lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Maybe. My guess is it gets a pipe plug if I can't find anything to hook it up to. I was studying up on the carb last night....and I think I have a couple missing parts. I thought that when I broke it down, but the red light went off when I was watching a video on re-assembling an automotive version last night. I sent an email to Mikes Carburetors (they have great videos on youtube) to see if I am correct. Hopefully he has the missing parts if I am right, or maybe the ones off the 4 banger carb will work...doubt they will interchange, but you never know.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sounds like the parts I thought I was missing are sometimes left out of marine carbs. Also, sounds like that may have been factory paint, apparently some of them come with a thick epoxy paint to protect them. Given that, and how nasty it was, I'm thinking it has never been rebuilt. Guess I will start putting it back together!