Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yes, but for some reason I didn't realize there was any difference between the to board area and the rest of the deck. For so e reason I thought it looked like you removed it all together with the old deck. I didn't realize there was a bulk head there. My bad.:facepalm:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I would have never guessed that the toe board went to the deck, but it did. One reason i did this rebuild was because the hull was so unusual. I'm having fun just sorting through the details and figuring out how they put it together.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I finally got back to the boat today, more grinding! One nice thing about today is the strong north wind, blows the dust right out of the boat. If you guys in Texas start itching you know why now, lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Got a lot of grinding done today, and scraped the last of the foam out......nothing to terrible exciting to report.....just more grinding up ahead!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Funny image bunch of people in Texas standing around scratching saying there must be something in the air lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok, its probably hard to see because of all the dust, but I finished most of the grinding today with the exception of the transom and the flat plyood that goes on the bottom of the sponsorns and center pod. Up under the front deck was great fun! I had to use a flapper disk up there, I must say I am not a fan of those things.....seems like it takes forever to remove material with them. That splatter paint is a pain to remove by the way.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yeah that whole grinding under the front deck thing looks like it was No Fun At All !!!:faint2: Looks like you are getting there though, and a little more progress is that much better. Right? Have a good rest of the week.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Tnstratofam.....feel like I turned the corner on the grinding today! I'm going to pressure wash tomorrow night and get her situated in the shop for the weekend. I can hopfully get the transom out and the flat boards on the bottom of the hull pulled this weekend. After that a few more hours of grinding and she will be ready to go back together! That is the fun part! :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hadn't thought about it JB but you might be right. We sometimes use a much more refined zolatone product on high end lobby walls and conference centers. Whatever it is grinds, but clogs up the abrasive.

Sphelps, I was thinking gel coat, but now that JB mentioned the zolatone, that makes more since. Gelcoat would grind nicely, this stuff is a lot softer.

I'm just glad this portion of the work is getting wrapped up and closer to the putting it back together fun part!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I was trying to take advantage of the 75 degree weather (go figure) and power wash the hull out tonight...but had to work late. I did roll the engine out and washed the dust and gunk off of it. I sprayed it with Zep heavy duty degreaser, then rinsed. I was surprised at how well it worked, some of the accessory parts, timing cover, pulleys, motor mount etc had a little oil on them. Cleaned them right up!

I also tinkered with the carb again.....finally have most everything clean. Soaking the butterfly valves a little longer, they still had some crud on them. Not only was the carp nasty, but that black paint was really hard to get off.

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I was trying to take advantage of the 75 degree weather (go figure) and power wash the hull out tonight...but had to work late. I did roll the engine out and washed the dust and gunk off of it. I sprayed it with Zep heavy duty degreaser, then rinsed. I was surprised at how well it worked, some of the accessory parts, timing cover, pulleys, motor mount etc had a little oil on them. Cleaned them right up!

I also tinkered with the carb again.....finally have most everything clean. Soaking the butterfly valves a little longer, they still had some crud on them. Not only was the carp nasty, but that black paint was really hard to get off.

Im so jealous of the 75 deg Arch!...we're getting single digits here :eek:

Looks like ur making great progress!

I have a special knack with carbs...as soon as I touch them, they never work again! lol...in fact, just talking about yours, I may have jinxed u! :D

What's in the centre hull... words difficult ... single malt brain... if you're in the boat and you look down, can you see down into the centre hull? Is it storage, or is that where you hang out when you're on board? I cant wrap my head around why there is the third hull.

Dont get me wrong. I dont dis-love it or anything. I just dont get it. :)

I think I have a question that makes sense....

Is there a flat floor spanning the width of the boat?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
120 Look at the pic on page 1 and you will see what's up .. It is kinda funky huh ... In a good way ! :cool:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the encouragement Corjen!

Zool the 75 degrees seems to have went away.....but not to bad for this time of year, highs in the low 40s / upper 30's this weekend....but also rain :blue: But we need the water, so I will work with it, lol! Not like we have a choice!

120, Sphelps is right, the first shots will give you an idea of what the outside hull shape looks like. My theory on the design (just an educated guess) is that the hull is desigened to ride on the sponsons (left and right lowered sections of the deck) while on plane. The center pod drops down (not as aggressively as the sponsons) in order to allow the motor / drive to sit down low in the hull to keep the prop in the water when on plane. Not sure if that makes sense, but hope it helps! I'm going to hit work early tomorrow and try to slide out early. (had to work late tonight) I want to get the boat back in the small shop before it starts raining (after I wash the glass out!), then spend the weekend pulling out the wood from the trainsom and bottom of the sponsons. After that a little grinding in those areas, and the fun part starts! :D

Now I have to spend a zillion hours researching that kind of hull design to see if there's anything really interesting that I'm missing.

Man, I wish I paid attention when I was at school.

They probably mentioned this stuff in science/hull design, but I was busy doing stuff I thought was more important or something.

Oh well, I'll regret it in another life if it turns out reincarnation is the go.

I don't have time for regrets in this life. I'm too busy researching stuff like interesting hulls :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
120....the point of boating....at least from my perspective is researching hulls, lol!

Back in the shop, rinsed the glass dust off her and put her inside for the weekend.....time to get the transom out. I was pondering the hull after I got her in....

This is going to be like foaming the Titanic! I wonder if I should build an aft deck for a huey?

I am really impressed with this stuff, cuts right through the grease, the motor is slick as a whistle!

On to the transom demo tomorrow!

Last edited: