Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks, I took some quick measurements and I think it will work. The missing piece of the puzzle is height relationship between the engine, drive an bottom of the hull. Does anyone know what the distance is between the cavitation plate and the center line of the input shaft is? That should tell me where the engine mounts are relative to the drive. I goggled it, but haven't come across a dimensioned drawing yet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You have a Mercruiser set up now, right? Switching to a 4.3 means you have to worry about the two side motor mounts, the rest will be the same except for maybe a couple of extra mounting holes for the transom plates depending on the year and model outdrive you find in a donor.

All the inline to V motor switchers bolted up the inner and outer trasnsom parts, dropped the motor in and attached it to the rear motor mounts. Then while using an alignment bar, positioned the motor for proper alignment, made some measurements for the side mounts and yanked the motor out. They built the side motor mount support pads, bolted in the motor mounts, dropped the motor in again and did the alignment by raising and lowering the side motor mounts. The mounts on the transom are fixed, so only the front mounts are adjustable.

Hope that made sense, Arch.

dozerII

Admiral
GA's gottcha there, you shouldn't have to change the height or size of the key hole.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

We have a few guys who upgraded from an inline to V motor and some even plugged in a Mercruiser in place of an OMC Stringer. Doing a Stringer to MC requires all the measurements because of the big hole, but not a Mercruiser to Mercruiser swap.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok so it sounds like going from an MC1 to an alpha doesn't require any or minim mods to the keyhole?

GA_Boater

At the worst, only two more bolt holes for the transom plates. I'm pretty sure the rest of the holes line up and the keyhole is the same. When it's time, verify that in the Mercruiser forum. I know switching between most MC outdrives is minimal.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok that helps a lot. I need to draw up that bolt template and overlay it on my keyhole. I need to spend some time studying this, sounds like I could bolt my old gimbel housing back on and find the center line of the drive shaft. I really think everything will fit fin, but given the odd hull I don't think its worth spending a little time studying!

GA_Boater

Why do you need to find the centerline of the drive shaft? All the work and measurement was done for you when PC first installed the drive line. The only thing you need to worry about is the width of a 4.3 and having enough side to side clearance. Maybe someone with a 4.3 can get the width measurements for the motor mounts along with motor width and height. Looking at the video tour and the pic of the flying motor, you have room for the motor so room for side motor mounts could become the critical item. Again looking at the pics, you don't have any worries.

You have to line up the crankshaft/coupler to the center of the gimble bearing. That's the purpose of the alignment bar when finding the side motor mount location and rough height with the first motor drop in. Also the gimble will be in the same vertical plane going from MC1 to Alpha.

Is this your first I/O, Arch? Sounds like you have worries. :) Your hull held a Mercruiser once and it will do it again.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA, I'm not to worried about it, I just make my living by planning things, lol! :D

I know where the motor mounts are left and right of the engine center line, that shouldn't be an issue. I also know the vertical placement of the mounts relative to the center line of the crankshaft. What I have been trying to sort through, is where the vertical center line of the alpha drive input shaft will be once it is properly mounted / rigged to the hull. Since the center line of the input shaft and the centerline of the crank shaft are one in the same, I can figure out how high the engine mounts will be above the deck, They will actually be very close to where the deck steps up at the edge of the center pod. If the Alpha and MC1 share the same mounting and input drive center line, I should be able to figure that out by mocking up my old MC1 gimbel. I just want to start thinking through how the mounts will work and verify I have the clearances.

Anyhow, it is all strait in my head now, just need to do some measuring. Thanks for all the info! I hope to finish up the demo this weekend, but I have a washer dryer install that isn't going well.....I knew I needed to replace the shut off valves, moved the old washer and dryer...and the project got bigger, lol! Hopefully I can sort through it fairly quickly and get back to the boat!

GA_Boater

Ah - Planning, the downfall of all rebuilders. :eek: LOl

Good luck with the leaky valves. :smile:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Planning is a great reference, that way when you get to the end and its totally different, you can look back to see where you started, lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Got the valves and the new washer dryer box in today.....also discovered my hot water tank is leaking, so back to home depot today and shelled out another $600. Well I guess you might as well do all of it at one time, right? Tomorrow more plumbing fun, itching to get back on the boat....but I guess running water should take priority!

GA_Boater

Sounds like the "boat planning" is taking a hit from the "plumbing planning", Arch. Hope any further water is non-chlorinated and Fuggly related - Like a Spring splash!

Tnstratofam

Commander
My least favorite honey do project. Anything plumbing related! I've always said any plumbing problem you see goes 4 more feet in both directions from the original problem. Good luck on getting your plumbing back in order. Believe me we feel your pain.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hot water is up and running, so I can cross that off the list. I have some drywall work left, mud is on the wall and drying. Its a small area, so a little work here and there and the washer / dryer should be in in a few days.....hopefully back to the boat by Christmas Eve! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
OK the washer / dryer / hot water tank saga went on way longer than it should have. But I did get all of the pumbing in order and the washer is working on the first load of work jeans....its an HE top loader, strange machine, you can tell a female designed it....just randomly does weird things....fills, then spins, then fills, then agitates......then does some other weird things.....anyhow it is working....I guess, either that or it is eating my work jeans...... Dryer must be designed by a guy, much more strait forward,...

So hopefully most of Friday will be spent on the fuggly, demoing the deck!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!