Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My control was a little different. It didn't have a screwed in button. But I see why I had to remove the set screw with the wide un-knurled area on the shaft. But you got it off. :thumb:

I wonder if this is one of the boats that lifting the top is the best way to get to the flooring? That's assuming the side panels will lift with the top and that the top can be separated. :noidea:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA Boater, I was getting frustrated with the shift lever, knowing it couldn't be rocket science to get it off, lol! It's always something simple! :D

This is a pretty complicated boat for its size, in terms of the pieces and how they were put together. It is pretty clear that the pieces I am having a hard time with were put in last. The upper and lower halves were put together after the deck was in. There is a very heavy layer of glass tabbing on the inside of the upper / lower seam. The white glass around the engine compartment was put in with the deck, before the top was installed. I can tell this or assume this because there is a gel-coat or paint was that was sprayed over all of the tabbing and interior of the hull as a final finish. This was done prior to the pieces I am having difficulty with being installed. Its apparent, since the tabbing for the problemed pieces doesn't have the finish on them. This was to allow access to the bow area and sides for tabbing the deck in....I'm guessing.

On most boats this old I would question this as a later repair, but it is pretty apparent that this one hasn't been touched since the factory. I thought about splitting the hull, I would still have to get these panels out to access the tabbing for the two hull halves. They put a lot of thought into putting it together, but none into taking it apart! I don't think I would have either! I can say it does look like a well thought out boat, someone spent some time thinking through the design.

GA_Boater

It's always tough figuring out they put them together so you can tear them apart. And they never think one of their boats will need to be disassembled for repair some day. You're gonna get it done. ;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I ended up goofing off today....I know I need to get after it! I'm headed out east of OKC tomorrow to look at a donor with an Alpha and a 4.3. $500, its supposed to be complete, and the owner got married before he could do anything with it....so goes the story....but who knows, the Admiral could have put her foot down on the poor guy, lol! I figure its worth something if its all there.....all the little pieces add up.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well that was a waste of a couple hours.....turns out it was an alpha spliced on to an omc set up
I did find a longer cutting blade for my multi tool so I'm going to try it on the gunnel area that has been giving me fits. Hopefully it will solve that problem

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
no progress this week, I have been battling a sinus infection and my hard drive crashed......great week, right? I may get back to it on Sunday if I feel up to it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sinus infection kicked my arse for the better part of 3wks this past fall, every morning if I felt a little bit better then the day before, it ended about lunchtime.... Then dragging arse all afternoon......

Kick it to the curb and wait a couple days before doing to much. Not waiting is why I think it took so long for me to get over it....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hear you, that was what I was thinking. Between the sinus deal and the hard drive it wasn't a very productive work week. I need to be able to get back at it on Monday and make some $$!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Finally feeling better, back to the shop tomorrow. I hope I can get the side panels cut out tomorrow and get the deck demoed. I thought I had a donor boat this week, but turned out to be a 4 banger. Well one will turn up sooner or later!

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Totally know what you are dealing with on the sinus thing. Glad you're feeling better and the right donor boat will show up.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Quick update. I finally figured out how to cut the tabbing out of the back side of the side panel. I found an extra long blade for my porter cable multi tool. Worked liked a champ, just barely long enough! But it did the trick. I need to get another one, then tackle the starboard side next.

You can see the shelf bottom for the side pockets on the side of the hull, just up from the deck. I will need to take those off to give me good access. They are just tabbed to the side of the hull. I may cut them off with about an inch of them still attached to the hull. I'm thinking that might give me some place to clamp them and a reference so that I get the angle right when I put them back on. Any thoughts?

Of to the store, lunch and more grinding!

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
That looks like it was no fun at all! Glad to see you're feeling better, and are able to get back at it. As far as leaving a lip as a reference point for putting the sides back in, I think that's a good idea.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Your right trstratofam, not exactly fun. The second one came out after an hour or so. For some reason it wasn't tabbed in as well as the port side.

Now I need to cut out the doghouse and the foot board, plus the side shelf things.

GA_Boater

Glad you got the side panels out in one piece. I should say you got the dash out in one piece. Whatever! You did good, Arch.

Good to hear you're feeling better :joyous: and too bad about the donor. :blue:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks GAboater, I guess its a dash-side-panel, lol! I hope I can get the deck out or at least start today. I may not have to take the foot-board out. I was looking at it last night and it looks to be in good shape. I'm going to drill a few holes in it today, see what shape its in. I'm hoping they put it in first, that would make leaving it in fairly simple (I think). The dog house is going to take some quailty die grinder time to get out, but it looks like everything is pretty easy to get at.