Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA thanks for the idea....I have been wondering what to do with the bow.......it even has drain holes already!

Corjen / Tnstrantofam I have no idea if they bounce more...I can see how they would unload easier. but if there isn't a ramp, I'm not going to even try to unload this baby! All I know is that it slides around every time you take off or stop. You almost need brakes on the rollers...which might be an idea. Or maybe i just buy a couple 2x10s, some carpet, and be done with it. That sounds a lot easier, anyone have any good experience or something I am missing on the roller trailers?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rollers or bunks - You will have the side to side wiggle until you correct a couple of things, Arch.

powercat.gif

First shorten the bow arm. It has such a long moment now that it gives no side to side support. Second, put some short V bunks under the front part of the sponsons, kinda like some toon trailers, only maybe 18-24" long. You need some more support between the front of the sponsons to the trailer, where ever the sponsons and trailer frame line up vertically. Something like the pic, if it came through.

Those are the two things I would look at. Keep the tilt in case you run into a shallow ramp. And oh, empty that Jacuzzi in the bow or make some travel baffles to slow down the slosh. :rolleyes:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the thoughts GA boater. The bow arm is only part of the problem, the entire tounge rotates back and forth also...the hinge connection is really sloppy. For now I think I'm going to raise the boat up enough to slide some 2x12's over the rollers, block them in place then get back to the deck. I can always sort through the trailer next spring. Looks like we are going to have good demo weather this weekend...there won't be many more where I can work with the doors open in the shop!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I decided to buy some 2x12's to put between the rollers and bunks. It actually wen pretty smoothly

After I raised the back up with the hoist, I jacked up one side at a time in the front.

The 2x12's slid right in.

Now I just need to screw some cleats next to a couple rollers to act as chalks. Later today I'm going to move her to the other shop and start the demo.....itching already!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The 2x's are to just keep everything nice and flat for the demo ?
Looks like it worked great ....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yes, I was afraid of all the point loads from the rollers with the deck an foam out. I'm still considering ditching the rollers....but that is way on down the line. Right now just focusing on the boat.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Anyone take one of these off before? I pushed the throtle all the way back in reverse and found a set screw. I removed it comes about half way off and stops. I wiggled and yanked but no luck so far.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I made a little more progress tonight. I pulled all of the helm controls except the throttle / gear selector....I can't seem to get the handle off. Hopefully someone will have a solution. I also pulled the glove box.....why do we still call it that by the way? Everything in the cockpit that is white was installed as a separate piece. They were rivited and tabbed in, and they all have to come out so that I can get at the deck.

I think most of the tabbing I can get to, but there is a section in the gunnels that will be a lot of fun on each side. Here is a shot looking up. The white stripe is actually edge trim they installed before installing the piece. It trims the top out, and makes a nice line to follow cutting. I think the only thing I can get after it with is my multi-tool (I hope)

I also got the gimble housing out and all the accessories. The transom seems to be pretty solid other than around the drain holes. The key hole is nice and dry. By the way, is the alpha key hole layout the same or is it different?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's been a while, but when I pulled a control handle, I had the same problem. I'm pretty sure I took the allen screw out completely before I got the handle off.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Arch I don't have any specs but here is a picture of the alpha one (version two). They look different - two extra holes at the top and square on the bottom. Don't know if it overlaps so you can cut what you have to fit or not but if nobody comes up with a diagram I'd be glad to get some measurements for ya.

68010F76-4CC6-4C66-B92B-3513DDC5F1CE_zpso37diwws.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It's been a while, but when I pulled a control handle, I had the same problem. I'm pretty sure I took the allen screw out completely before I got the handle off.

I took mine out too.... my guess is I just need to get a little more aggressive with it. It is in good shape and I would like to save it if I can.

Thanks for the pic Rick, I guess I need to find a donor boat first, then sort thorugh the required mods. I do think an alpha with a 4.3 would get this girl moving nicely. One of my friends did suggest an LS-7.....but I don't think that is in the budget...lol! I may take you up on your offer on the dimensions! I guess I need to go take a look at this donor boat this weekend.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It doesn't show the relief at the top for the steering arm, IIRC, it's only needed on 1 side or the other, not both as in yours or Rick's pix of the keyhole. But I'm not 100% sure about that, no I/O in my boathouse.

You're welcome. ;)

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On mine the steering arm went both ways so yeah it was necessary to have both relief holes. It's 1.5" and the specs show 60 degrees but I'm not sure which axis? Anyway it ain't rocket science as long as the arm don't hit. I used a drum sanding disk on a drill and that worked fine but I was told a step drill works good too and the specs say use a hole saw with a pilot hole. Whatever works for you!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wouldnt be the 1st time memory didnt work so good....... maybe i just need a hard reset & re-boot...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol the mickey mouse ears! I need to draw it to scale and take a look at how it compares to what I have. I hope its matter of trim some off of the existing transom. I'd have to have to redo the transom because of the swap.....but that is about my luck, lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks! Happy T-day everyone! I'm going to see if I can make some progress tomorrow while every one is running around like a chicken with its head cut off at the shopping malls LOL!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I spent some time on the boat tonight, mostly frustrated. I have come to the conclusion, after using everything I have and can think of, that I'm going to need to saw out some of the white panels. Most of it I can grind / saw the tabbing from the back side, but nothing I have will work on a narrow section along the gunnels. I have tried sawzal, die grinder, right angle die grinder, dremel, oscillating tool....nothing will get at the tabbing. I did make two small holes through the glass where I didn't want holes......still fuming about that mistake! So tomorrow I'm going to cut them out.

It isn't a bad place for some upholstery....but I hate doing it. Guess when I glass it back I can try to match the gel coat or paint it. I can't overhaul the deck until I get it out so I guess that is the way it goes.

I did finally get the shift control out. After I got the set screw out, the handle would only slide out about 1/2 an inch. I finally figured you have to unscrew the neutral button to get it off. I figured it came off with the shifter, not before the shifter.

After that I was able to pull the shifter cables, wiring harness and steering cable out of the gunnel. I'm pretty much down to cutting / grinding and demoing the deck now.