Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
She's a BEAUT!!!! Can't wait to see her up close and personal. Moving in on Mon. or Tuesday!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
She's a BEAUT!!!! Can't wait to see her up close and personal. Moving in on Mon. or Tuesday!!!

Okay Mike, just don't start gnawing on the wires and dropping pellets in the hull. :eek: :facepalm:

Is there room for more? :cool:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all the nice comments! Don't worry GM, Mike will be too busy trying to staple an OSU (Okie version) flag to my roof, he won't have time to chew on the wires lol!

So today was frustrating. Started at 7, ready to get working on getting the side panel / dash pieces ready for paint and buffing / cleaning up the rub rail. It was the first day of really hot and humid, so I think that didn't help my attitude. First off a trip to Ace, then out to the smaller shop. My dad didn't tell me he had taken the wheel off the lawn mower and had a flat fixed, so I put that back together for my first tast. I picked up some eazy off to remove what I thought was a really heavy anodizing on the rub rail, didn't work so much.

Then my Dad showed up and ended up helping him for a few hours. By this point it was about a zillion degrees and I needed a break, plus a new plan for the rub rails. off to home depot and lunch...home depot was nuts as expected.

When I got back it was just nasty out in the shop. I worked for a few hours and came back in the house. I did get the dash / side panels sanded and some bonndo / glass work done. I also figure out some 2" scotchbrite pads I have for my 90 degree die grinder would clean up the rub rail nicely. After that some wet sanding and buffing.....finally came in out of the heat.

I went back out about 6:30 and a front finally started to cool things down. I manage to clean up and reuse this L molding for a transition between the paint and the vinyl I am putting on the lower half of the side panel. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I have been wrestling with how to do this for a while. Its nice to have it resolved. It took a lot of tweaking and bending, but the salvaged pieces should look pretty good,

I was going to wet sand the pieces so they would be done....same coating on them as the rub rail. Its almost as someone cleared all the trim....anyhow I was too tired to deal with it, so in the morning I am going to go after things with the scotch brite wheels and then wet sand.

At some point sharkhide will fit in here by the way....first have to get everything ready!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've already got this picked out for the Flag Mast on "Fuggly"...
ou_vs._osu_house_divided_3x5_flag_65563sma.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody somehow I think that square flag would end up more like a pendant flag before installation ... But I don't blame ya for trying !! :lol:
Funny it says Do Not Duplicate .. :joyous:
Arch maybe it's time to go get around 10 tons of AC unit and cool the hanger down ...;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
You'll notice that OU is on top. that's normal, lol! Sam trust me 5 tons of ac is on my list.....I even checked on the price for the package unit yesterday. But that is a ways down the road. Today is going to be about 10 degrees cooler, and hopefully a lot less humid.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I totally know what you went through with the polishing out the rub-rail.

My rub-rail looked like some one used it for a baseball bat. And I rebent, straightened it and pounded on it until it gave in. Then sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more until progressively finer grit paper wasn't showing any difference. Then polishing with 3M polishing compounds. That brought out the shine again. It really looks like new now. But the arms and shoulders were screaming for me to stop. And I did!

The heat compounded with the humidity, is also getting us here in middle Georgia now. And the sad part about that is, summer is just now starting. Ugh!

Try to stay cool. At least have some fans blowing on you so the air is moving giving you the false illusion of cooler air. :facepalm:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, polishing alumium is always a bit of a chore, but rewarding. I typically let my punamitic DA do the sanding, but its not working well with this profile. But once I get it to about 400 the wheels on the buffer should take care of the rest.

Today was much more productive. Just lots of odds and ends on the side panel / dash pieces. Mostly some sanding them and cleaning them up. Part will be paint and part will be vinyl. The panels were sort of cruddy from the factory, for some reason there seamed to be a lot of bad trimming around the edges. I had mostly sanded down the painted part yesterday. I did some body work on a few holes I plugged, some sanding and had that part ready to go. I also trimmed off the back side of the shelf pockets I laid up....repaired a crack, not a lot to see.

Here is some bondo on the area where I cut this one down and spliced it.

The shelf for the storage pocket trimed down.

Project engineer conducting compression test on the floor, apparently it passed....

The primed area will be paint, the white will get vinyl.

So tomorrow sand down the primer, maybe some more primer, then paint. I also want to get the two trim pieces I made sanded down and cleaned up.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I pulled Fuggly out and gave her a bath.....see a trend starting here here, lol! I washed off all of the compound that had slung everywhere, hopefully she will be pretty when she dries off!

I pretty much stopped on the buffing the trim. I ordered what I hope are the correct 3M roloc scotchbrite pads to clean up the trim without causing me a lot of wet sanding. This is the medium, the one I ordered is supposed to be fine (25 of them)

I should get them next week, in the mean time I need to get the dash painted and then off to upholstery.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the input i haven't messed with them much. The medium did good on cleaning up the trim but takes some sanding to get it ready to buff. I can see how they would be really handy, I may have to stock up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I have used those scotchbrite pads as well. In fact I keep an assortment on hand most of the time. And you really need to do a part that is not going to show to get use to them. They cut remarkable well and fast. And as with most spinning things, they can get out of hand real quick. So approach with caution. They do polish metal pretty good.

As usual, you always seem to have something interesting to see. Nice work...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks GM, I did uses them on some of the rub rail and buffed it out. I had to sand with 320 first, which i would like to avoid. The airway buffing wheel I bought for the bluffer makes quick work of most starches, the ones from the red pad are just a little too course, you can still a little big of them if I don't sand before buffing.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The dash / side panel assemblies are ready to go in after some vinyl. I cut it really close on paint, but managed. The reducer I have was a little to hot for today, so there is some orange peal, but I'm glad to have them painted!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
She sure looks good sitting out on the trailer ? Can't wait to see the rest of the pieces all installed !!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, those side sections look pretty good. But what else did I expect from you. :thumb: