Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the comments GM. I got the bunk carpet on and the bunks in place, still need to bolt them down. It is really taking shape now, I'm happy with how it has turned out. I'm going to try to get the wiring done, but I am feeling a little lazy after wrestling carpet for 5 hours! I felt like I was carpeting a house!

This is how I did the exposed back side of the bow stops and guides for the sides. I'm pretty happy with it, but I am sure there is a better way to do it.

Opposite side.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly have to admit Arch, I am very impressed indeed. You did a magnificent job with your trailer. And I do know how much work it takes to rebuild/build a trailer. Been there and done that!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thank you for all the kind words. I figure if you are going to do it, do it right. That really helps to hone skills to.,...and there is a lot to be said about reliability. Hopefully this one will be problem free for years. After lunch I got a second wind and tacked the wiring and bolting down the bunks / steps / guide and bow stops. I have everything bolted down except the back steps and the back row of bunk bolts. Some how my math was off on nuts and washers, not to surprising! I have all the lights and connections made except the rear makers and tail lights. I was running out of gas and decided to call it a night. Mostly boring stuff.

I do like to use the heat shrink connectors. Finding corroded connections sucks, been there done that!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Chuck the trailer is calling your name, lol!

I also lost the wiring diagram for the rail lights....so not sure if black or red is for the brake or running light. I may have to visit norther tool to sort that out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chuck the trailer is calling your name, lol!

I also lost the wiring diagram for the rail lights....so not sure if black or red is for the brake or running light. I may have to visit norther tool to sort that out.

Unless you need to go to NT; White=ground, Brown= tail/side marker/license, Yellow=Left and Green=Right

Did you use some black for ground?

lighting_dia_1.gif

PS - I was determined to stay away until Fug was sitting on the trailer. The Rolls-Royce or Abrams M1 of trailers depending on your point of view. LOL :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GA that is a good wiring diagram. I always have to look up the colors. My wiring matches your diagarm, the red and black wires in question are coming out of the tail lights. The lights are all from the same manufacturer, and the marker lights used a black wire. So I am guessing the black is for the marker circuit and the red is for the brake. I got them at Norther Tool a while back, I figure I can swing by at lunch tomorrow and take a look at the wiring diagram on one of the packages. If all else flails I can hook them up to the battery charger and see what I can sort out.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will throw my 2 cents in here. You made out well wrapping your bunks, I make bunks all the time to sell through my business. It takes practice and there is a technique to getting it looking like it was factory.
As for the wiring, you may want to consider running a white ground to the rear lights back up to the grounding point on the tongue. Most trailer manufactures have started doing it that way to avoid corrosion on the rear ground for the lights. The tongue almost never goes in the water so it is less to maintain

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Trailer wiring is standardized. But I do remember back in the days before I bought my first boat and trailer. I use to rent out boats to fish. And it seems every time I rented one out, the trailer wiring was all screwed up. Nothing close to the standard wiring. So I would have to rewire the trailer and of course replace all the bulbs that were burnt out as well. But then the next time I rented a boat out, I never got the same trailer. So I must have rewired every boat trailer setup they had. :eek: :facepalm:

Arch, you should take your trailer out just for show. Sounds like a good idea to me! :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ratherbboatin, I thought about that, but the loom I had doesn't have the white wire. (except a short section at the plug). I may still go back and do that. I made a little progress on Monday, but my hand was killing me. I get a carpel tunnel flair up every so often. So I backed off for a few days to let it rest. I'm heading to the lake for spring chores this weekend, so it will be next week before I wrap it up.

Not a chance on the address Baja, lol!

GM I actually have good lights and wiring on all my trailers now, seems like its always a battle however!

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wiring harnesses you can buy do not normally have the extra white wire. You can find them sometimes. Out of the major suppliers I deal with Karavan has the best wiring system.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So no work on the boat / trailer last weekend. I went out to the lake to clean, mow the leaves etc....spring chores. Over the winter I drain the plumbing because I leave the heat off. Well apparently I forgot to open one of the drain valves.....had no plumbing tools with me, so after a $250 trip to ace 30 miles away, I managed to cap the leaking lines. The plumbing is 45 years old and really needs replaced, but I didn't want to do it this year. But since I have everything torn apart I guess I need to add that to my spring list. Back to the boat, I finished up the trailer with the exception of wiring the plug on the end of the pig tail up front and the bearing buddies. Both of those should be pretty quick, then back on the trailer she goes. I ordered some of that u shaped PVC trim to go around some of the fiberglass edges tonight. Its pricey, but I found a place where I could buy it by the foot on evil bay. I need it before I can get the dash back in, which is coming up soon.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Depending on the weather, I maybe plumbing next weekend, this weekend is for sure working on Fuggly! I got the bearing buddies on tonight, so other than putting the plug on the lights the trailer is done.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool! Arch you sure put a lot of thought and effort into the trailer ! Very nice work all around !
So with that part finishing up when does Fuggly get placed on it for the last leg of your restoration ?