Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh sorry for the confusion. I meant I'm nervious around plastic fenders.

There's a rubberized powdercoating that changes the asthetic feel of diamond plate. I mixed those two thoughts. I certainly don't see a need for that though with how nice this is looking :)

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The trailer is looking great! I can hardly wait to see it welded up and painted. Outstanding work Arch! Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the comments guy, I forgot to take a pick last night. I need to pick up a piece of plat today, hopefully I will have time to wrap up the steps tonight.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I stopped by my steel supplier today, and picked up a piece of 2-1/2" bar stock. All they had was 1/8", I was wanting 3/16".....but the 1/8" should work fine. I went out to the yard and when they loaded it up, I ask the guy if they salvaged it off the Titanic? They normally have really clean material. but since this is all they had and it gets sandblasted anyway I took it. Tonight I finished up the framework for the steps, I need to fully weld it tomorrow and add a couple mounting tabs for the plywood. After that I just have the rear hard points and a few up front to weld on. Looks like Wednesday I will finally get it over to the sandblaster.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks TC, nice to hear from you! Its a lot of extra brain damage, but it is worth it. Getting to the lake safely is something that is easy to forget. I have to say it was nice to weld clean steel finally, I could do without ever welding anything galvanized! Clean steel is so much cleaner, and no molten explosions of zinc splattering all over you. I'm looking forward to getting this wrapped up and back to working on fitting out Fuggly!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think they only salvaged china and silverware from the Titanic. No steel and if they did, you might want to return it. You did say safe trips to the lake. :eek:

Ya got a Brinks armored truck trailer there. The frame won't be any problem. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, watching your trailer rebuild brings back memories from my trailer build. I do like steps on the front and back of the fenders as well. It allows you to get to things that would otherwise be beyond grasp without them. And they add to the over all look as well. Plus they add to the valve of the trailer if you ever plan to sell it. Nicely done sir, nicely done! :thumb: :thumb:

Pusher

Lieutenant
On the bright side, you should never need to go back to a bare frame again. The extra work is turning out great!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the thoughts guys! Tonight I made it over the hump, other than welding on a few mounting tabs for the steps, I think the welding is over. I do have a ton of grinding but at least dealing with the volcanic zinc splatter is over. It did get me one last time tonight.....:facepalm:

I welded up the steps solid tonight then went to work on some hard points.

These are for some bow restraints to keep Fuggly from sliding forward. I'm adding a couple of eyes to the hull, it will make more sense after I get them mounted.

These are the new hard points for the transom tie downs.

And this one is for a safety strap in case the winch fails coming up the ramp.

Pusher

Lieutenant
This is going to be one beast trailer!

Are you planning on painting or powder coating this bad boy?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Na Pcola, just 3/8", don't want to overbuild anything!

I have been pondering the gauges the last few days. I like the old ones, but want a spedo and a depth finder. I like them to all match, and was looking a new gauges so they would all match. Problem is the new ones are a little larger than the ones in the di-cast cluster, which I like the cluster. So that would mean making a new cluster, as well as adding some to another part of the dash.

I did find this today, If I can find a place to put it, I think I will buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VINTAGE...ash=item5b2f699b14:g:TjAAAOSwImRYPFs~&vxp=mtr

Then I would be down to just having an oddball gauge for depth. I think my OCD will allow that (maybe). Also I found 3 of the other orginal guages old new stock. Might be worth buying and swapping them out in the cluster.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I see a lot of me in your ideas and work. I too have that OCD affliction and have to have everything just so so. It is a great thing at one time and a total curse the next. :facepalm: But your trailer looks solid and very nice. I am watching to see her in paint soon. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
OK so I bought the speedo and a matching factory beezzle. Matches the instrument panel, so this might actually look kind of factory.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM good thing the trailer is solid, the guy at the sandblasting place banged it around everywhere with the forklift lol!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GM good thing the trailer is solid, the guy at the sandblasting place banged it around everywhere with the forklift lol!

Was the forklift taken in for major repair or it just licked it's wounds? The muscled up trailer just snickered, didn't it? LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, Iam surprised the forklift was able to actually lift it. :eek: