Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Insomnia can be pretty useful sometimes. I came across this thread around midnight and just now (6:02AM) reached the end of it. You've put a lot of good work and inventive ideas into this boat and it really shows. I'll be following this thread to see how it turns out when you get it finished.

I was poking around this forum looking for some good basic boat building ideas that I can use on my project. I've starting getting the stuff together for a wooden tunnel hull build, but don't have much here to show for it yet. It's going to be a Dillon Laker 14 tunnel hull that will be stretched out 2 extra feet to handle an '84 Mercury 115 inline 6. I know building in wood is quite a bit different than working with fiberglass, but a lot of the same building ideas can still translate over with a little ingenuity.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complements and I hope maybe the thread gave you some ideas gomopar. My other boat has an 87 115 Merc on it, very good engines! Start a thread when you get going on your build. I want to build a wood hull one of these days, but that is a ways off.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
arch, sounds like you use the same ideas that I use. I bought the JP202 primer yesterday and am getting real close to shooting the first coat. So if the weather and other family projects don't crop up, I could shoot some maybe this week. Other then the paint manufacturers, seem we both use the same type products. DuPont is a good paint company and around here PPG is the typical paint used by so many body shops. I am partial to base coat clear coat technique and have had excellent results with that . So I will be doing that with my boat because I will be shooting four colors with some airbrushing and even painted pin strips and then clear coat the whole thing.

Arch, I will be following, as usual, so keep posting pictures. :thumb:

gomopar440, there are lots of really good projects on these forum. I suggest you read a lot of them and start a new thread for your project so we can offer ideas and suggestions for you. JMHO

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Arch, I saw that "tower of power" in your sig line. I'm going to look at that build tonight. It looks VERY NICE from the glimpses I've seen of it in this thread so far.

gomopar440, there are lots of really good projects on these forum. I suggest you read a lot of them and start a new thread for your project so we can offer ideas and suggestions for you. JMHO
That's the plan. I originally started out signing up at the Scream and Fly forum looking for info on someone else's Laker project. They have a pretty specific forum purpose over there IMHO. I like the friendly feel of this forum better so I plan on starting my build thread over here instead. I just gotta figure out where the advanced posting options are at. I haven't been on a forum before that only lets me post in the little preview box at the bottom of the topic, so I must be missing something somewhere.

Well, here's my first attempt at posting a pic here (hosted on Photobucket). If I can't get the pics to work it'll be a pretty boring project thread. If I can get it to work I'll start the thread.
DSC_4452.jpg

Looks like I gotta start a build thread now. :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Gomopar, looks like you got the picture posting thing sorted out. I like screem and fly, but they are pretty much focused on high performance. Iboats is a lot more relaxed and you get the broad spectrum of projects on here. I like to color coding by the way, ver organized!

No pics tonight GM, unless you want to watch glazing putty dry :bounce:
More sanding tomorrow night....starting to become a trend here! I'm hoping round two of spot priming Thursday night and a good final coat on everything this weekend.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought this was a new thread. Sorry.
Probably my fault for mildly hijacking Arch's Fugly rebuild thread. Sorry about that. I'll get my own build thread started here in a minute.

And about those colors, I would have used Green and Red to correspond with Port and Starboard if I could have just found a green marker anywhere around the house. As it is, it's good enough to help me keep the parts for the two sponsons organized better. Less chance of me making a goof up down the line (I hope).

BTW: Is there a button or setting in/on this forum that I can use to subscribe to a thread I want to follow (like this one)? If there is, I haven't been able to find it yet.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found the "Subscribe" button at the top of the page.

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gomopar, by posting on a thread you are subscribed. At the top of each thread page on the right is a subscribe button if you wish. Click it and it will change to subscribed.

Keep up the good fight arch. I'm getting excited for you. Your work looks great as usual. Can't wait to see fuggly all dolled up in that teal blue.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good work like yours deserves to be paid attention to. :cool: I'm off to check out your Sleekcraft build next.

FWIW: I just finished putting together the build thread for my Laker. The first post was kind of a catch-up to today, so it's kinda long. The rest of the posts from here on out won't have so much material to cover all at once, so they shouldn't be anywhere near as long as that first post. Link to the build thread is in my sig line now.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad you started a thread gomopar! I have the same report tonight.......more sanding lol! I'm thinking tomorrow night or Friday afternoon I will be ready to hit the back deck, dog house and a few other spots with primer. After some sanding Saturday, and more masking, should be able to put everything in the final coat of primer......then more sanding! With paint to follow soon!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sanding...........................Sanding....................:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

All that hard work kept you preoccupied during the promotion process.:D

In the end all that awesome hard work is gonna pay off big time.:thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I hate to tell ya but that promotion unfortunately doesn't come with a pay raise ... :cold:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, somehow I do feel your pain. Sanding seems to be the recipe for the last few days with me as well. And I know it is only going to get worst. Because I have yet to shoot the first coat of primer yet. So I will watch your progress to give me some more inspiration. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad to be an inspiration GM, lol....sorry if I'm depressing you! I think I will be able to get the last of the filler work done tonight and ready to spot prime one more time. If' I'm lucky, all I will have to do is sand down the filler I put on last night. Tnstro, I know all the sanding will pay off, that is what I keep telling myself!

Hmmm I was hoping for a big raise with the promotion, just my luck!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, have to shot the entire hull with primer? I ask because you talk about spot priming and I was wondering if the entire hull was initially primed and you were working over specific areas with the spot primer. :noidea:

Also, if you have shot the entire hull, what grit are you sanding too for the paint?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, I spot primed all the areas with body work. Those are the main focus right now, especially the rear deck. I took the night off, but once I have the last round of filler sanded, I want to shoot one more good round of spot primer and block it out. I'm sure there will be some here and there spot putty, but it should be just about be done after that. Most of the primer will end up in the floor, funny how we pay a lot for it and sweep it up later lol.

After that you are usually ready to blow a sealer coat and paint a few minutes later. The old gel had a lot of oxidation and crud on it, so I hit it with 120 on the DA. That cleaned it up nicely and left a rough tooth for the primer to bite into. I'm going to hit the entire thing with a light coat of primer to fill the 120 scratches, then sand it out to a 320 DA / 400 hand sanding. I need to talk with my paint supplier, but I think that is the recommendation they made on Miss Morgan. Turned out great, excellent adhesion and no sanding scratches.