Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I have to say I am really impressed with your fiber glassing efforts and abilities. I don't see how anybody couldn't like that. Bravo sir Bravo. Absolutely looks professional in every way. :thumb: :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the comments! It was nice to see it with primer on it after sanding and sanding and sanding.....the bad part is guess what? More sanding and sanding and sanding, just with a finer grit now! Lol, but the count down to paint list is getting smaller! :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What! After all this work you're blowing her off! What a pain. LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I feel you pain...no...paint. I actually had sore fingers while sanding the hull in prep for primer. And I was using a DeWalt DA sander too. But we seem to quickly forget such issues once paint hits the hull.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM I remember my fingers were raw from blocking out Miss Morgan by hand for hours! It sucks, but it makes the final body work a lot straighter. I'm sure they will be sore before the weekend is over. I'm still looking for some 80grit wet or dry to start out with, hopefully I can find some today. Otherwise I will be in a dust cloud all weekend!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM I remember my fingers were raw from blocking out Miss Morgan by hand for hours! It sucks, but it makes the final body work a lot straighter. I'm sure they will be sore before the weekend is over. I'm still looking for some 80grit wet or dry to start out with, hopefully I can find some today. Otherwise I will be in a dust cloud all weekend!

WOW 80 grit wet or dry? That seems a bit ruff. I honestly don't know if the sell 80 grit wet and dry paper. At least I've never seen any. Why so course?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Its is course enough that it will knock down the high spots fairly quickly. The back deck is still pretty wavy and this should help out. If you try to do it with something like 220, it will still leave it pretty wavy looking. The high build primer I use will easily fill that grit. The final coat will be sanded out to 400 before painting. I actually start the body work out with 36, then shift to 80 at the end before primer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, just finished sanding the back deck. You can see the high spots that I knocked down in this pick. This was the worst area.

In this pic, the slightly darker gray area on the left is a low area that needs filled.

On the right you can see where I just started to cut into the bondo high spot. I usually sand a bit more, but this curved area is easy to over sand, so just stopped when it started peaking through.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
It is looking pretty good, but for sure needs some glazing putty and more sanding / primer. It will be a lot easier to put the spot putty on now that I have a much smoother surface. The primer filled in a lot of the sanding scratches and imperfections.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, I do understand. Seems I also used 80 grit when doing preliminary bodywork on the '96 Geo Metro car project now that I think about it. But once I went to high build primer (K36 PPG if I remember correct) I switched to a I think 180 grit, and I use a straight board sanding from then on. I too used guide coat to show the highs and lows. It was a black powdery coat that applied via a pad. And it make a huge difference when you can see the highs and lows.

Carry on sir, looks good to me. I do know what you are doing. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Can't get much better than that arch ! The new modifications really look factory !

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM sounds like you got to enjoy some blisters too!

Put another coat of mud on the doghouse corners, trying to get them moving along and some glaze on the back of the deck. After that I started blocking out the other spot fills where there were holes for snaps and other items. I got about half of them sanded out. Most look pretty good, need to touch up a couple. I did block out about half of the glaze on the starboard deck before calling it a night. I blocked it pretty aggressively, but it is looking pretty nice. More sanding tomorrow! Yeah.......

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complement Sam.....lots of sweat and $$ lol. Always seems to be a good combination. I am really happy with it, just want to get it done and move on to putting her together!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I finished blocking all the primer, and started putting glazing putty on low spots and scratches. Made really good progress today, also covered all of the dog house in mud. It has a lot of really small holes and that seemed like the fastest way to clean it up. Tomorrow I will hit it wit 36 lightly on the da, then move to 80. I also blocked out the glazing putty on the back deck, the starboard side is looking pretty nice....I hit both sides hard.

Sorry about the fuzzy pic!

The port side had a low spot that I filled. I won't get all of this out, ....probably could, but that is a lot of work for something that i going to be covered in upholstery.

Tomorrow more sanding and hopefully maybe round two of the spot priming.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, what type primer and glazing putty are you using? And by the way, it is looking very nice. With the effort you are putting in, the paint will look amazing and straight and flat without all those waves seen in a lot of project cars and boats. I have to keep watching for sure. You are making the bar a lot harder to reach now though. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, I'm using Nason 2K high build for the primer. The glazing putty is by Evercoat, can't remember the name. It is catalyzed, which helps prevent shrinkage.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM, I'm using Nason 2K high build for the primer. The glazing putty is by Evercoat, can't remember the name. It is catalyzed, which helps prevent shrinkage.

Okay, that sounds like the (PPG) JP202 2K high build primer I am going to use, just a different manufacturer then Nason 2K. It is a two part mixture. As for the glazing putty, Evercoat makes some great stuff. I've used their products before with great success. Thanks, just was wondering.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, I'm sure its pretty much the same, high build urethane. I use the Nason primer because its a little cheaper than the Dupont. Dupont owns Nason, so my guess the chemistry is pretty similar if not the same. When I go to paint and sealer I will move over to Dupont. That is what I did on Miss Morgan and it worked great. I used a base clear on her, but since Fuggly is going to be a single color, (no stripe) I will probably opt for the single stage. I spent some quality time sanding the dog house down tonight. I think I might get some primer on it and the rear deck later this week. Hopefully I can be ready for final sand and paint after the weekend.