Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I put the first coat of system 3 clear coat epoxy on this morning. its amazing how the wood soaks it up.

I ran out, but got a big part of them knocked out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your next project, Arch?

glas sev.PNG

Vintage Boatworks does some fine resto work. Hope they can make your Texas emblems.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
lol that would be a sweet project GA! I have been talking with them about updating the logo with the Texas plant on it. They do some excellent work!

I spent tonight doing a little more body work. I have found that this is best in small steps, a big blob of filler equals a lot of extra sanding! I started out filling the inside corners, where the deck meets the gunnels with Duraglass. It is a resin thick filler, that works well for bulking up things.

You have to be careful not to build it up too much, it isn't fun to sand. I took a spreader and rounded it off to match the corner profile. Ushing that to spread it helps a lot. But it is sort of like spreading roofing tar, not the most user friendly!

I also had to thicken up the area next to the dog house on the port side. This was actually wider on the port side by about 3/16" or so. I built the mold off the starboard.side. Anyhow making it wider is easy, narrower, not so much!

I started adding bondo after the duraglass bulk up. From here I will put on several layers, slowly building up the final shapes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I am multi-tasking. Yesterday evening a friend helped me with a wheel for my brush hog. The old one and the axle assembly were toast. So he machined some new bronze bushings for the wheel I bought. He has an amazing shop, and incredible skills. Today I started cleaning up miss Morgans swim platforms and put some teak oil on them. After that I spent the rest of the day and evening on Fuggly. I had a lot of spot bondo to sand down, where the old screw holes for the snaps and a few other items were. I also worked on the back deck. More or less built up a lot of bondo to feather out the high and lot spots from adding the extended deck. I also tweaked the with of the groove that receives the dog house some. Basically making it look nice with the hatch closed. I ripped down part of the 1x I used to mold it to used as a form. I squeezed filler in the gap after I clamped it where i wanted it. Need to do some work on the other side tomorrow.

This is about the 6th layer of bondo on the deck. I'm going to cover most of it with a cushion.....oh well at least it will be right! I slowly built it up, hogging each layer down with 36 grit on a long board. Slow and easy pays off when the paint goes one.

I think its close enough to hit the high spots with 36 tomorrow then switch over to 80 and start getting it ready for some high build urethane primer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I figured you would be out cruising in the Divine Miss M during this long weekend, Arch.

Too bad a cushion will covering your nice work. But you will know what's under it. :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is next weekend GA, I did a little maintenance on Miss M this weekend. Need to do a couple more things and she should be ready to go. Fuggly is still a ways off..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Worked on Fuggly today.....I am tired of sanding but getting close to having the fantail roughed in.

That is about a gallon of filler if anyone is wondering lol. About half of it is on the floor in the form of dust!

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I could not imagine me wanting to do that much sanding, I would go nuts. Good on you for making it perfect as you can.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have been way behind on editing video, so I am going to try to get caught up. This is from a year ago, lol but I thought I would post it for anyone interested.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad I didn't put you to sleep nurseman! lol!

Sakter, it gets old, but I know what it will look like if I don't spend the time on it. It is going to be a little wavy where the new and old panels meet,close to the gunnel. Short of cutting out some of the old panel, there isn't a lot more I can do with it. In hindsight, I wish I had cut the front vertical part off. It had a little hump that I have been battling. Since most of it is going to be covered with a pad, I'm just going to run with it. If I wasn't going to put a pad on it, I think I would cut some of it out and reglass it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Woe,

I have just been sanding and sanding! I'm getting close. Most of the deck area in the back in just about ready for primer. The radius at the gunnel took some time. I still need to work on the sides adjacent to the dog house. The majority of the work is done, just need to do some detail stuff. Mostly the lip that the doghouse lid rest in. I need to widen it a bit on the port side. The carb is in the way, so I think I will do that once I pull the motor back out.

I'm going to switch gears and do some welding on the trailer done next.I need to do that before the boat comes off for the last time. I am pondering if I want to paint before or after I take it off for the last time.

I also still have to do the body work on the vertical leg, where the deck and transom tie together. That should be fairly minor. I spent yesterday doing some chores for my Dad...so thinks have been moving pretty slowly!

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch, just popping in and that addition looks like it was made that way from the manufacturer. It just looks like you are repairing what has always been there. Great job.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Mark,I spent the last two weekends doing some chores for my Dad, so not much progress lately. Hopefully I will have some time on it next weekend.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thought i would give a quick update. I went to the lake for 10 days and put Miss Morgan through her paces. Which meant that I spent the week before and the 2 weeks after getting caught up on chores and work. I also took a few days in there and cleaned up the hanger (shop). I had 2,000 s.f. off stuff randomly scattered out. I'm going to spend some time today finishing up the last bunk brackets. After that, I should be able to pull the motor and finish up the paint prep! Looking forward to getting some paint on!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thought i would give a quick update. I went to the lake for 10 days and put Miss Morgan through her paces. Which meant that I spent the week before and the 2 weeks after getting caught up on chores and work. I also took a few days in there and cleaned up the hanger (shop). I had 2,000 s.f. off stuff randomly scattered out. I'm going to spend some time today finishing up the last bunk brackets. After that, I should be able to pull the motor and finish up the paint prep! Looking forward to getting some paint on!

arch, I always like to see your progress and you show me what things can be done. And you make it look so easy as well. I know the effort involved and the amount of work to get there as well. I also know how other things takes us from our boat projects. I too have family things to do and between those things and the present heat, my boat project is sitting for the most part. Once the weather starts cooperating, I can finish up mine project. But I had to tell you yours, looks great. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hear you on the heat GM, I was weedeating the other night and realized the heat index was 108. I need to get my butt going and get out there before it gets hot today!