Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
With fuggly i'd worry about her suggesting window treatments. Disclaimer: not sexist in anyway, just going for the cheap laugh. End disclaimer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Oh I think you guys would be surprised, she does the most contemporary design work in the office, defiantly not a pillow fluffer! And I think you would be too busy staring at her to hear what she has to say.......she has that affect on most guys lol! I swear she has caused construction accidents at job sites :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well than you know we require video of the design stage of the project ..
Just for proper documentation ..

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm with Sam on this one. You have painted a pretty complete picture of the build thus far. Contemporary you say, so what does that mean, verticals?😀

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pat, I'll ask but I'm sure the camera will be banned! I'll see if I can remember to post a few project pics from work.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Spent tonight grinding.....we all love that right? :D I peeped the area for the rear deck extensions.....then ground down all the holes in the top side that need to be filled. I also went by the upholster today and picked up some plywood for the seat and MDO for the dog house mold. Lots of parts piling up......need to get busy!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I didn't get a lot done this weekend, I was just kind of exhausted from the last few weeks at work! I did get the deck extensions trimmed to fit and tabbed in, I also ground down all of the holes that AI am going to fill in order to paint the upper half. I laid out the final sizes and trimmed to fit, here is a shot of the inside corners. I used a hole saw to gibe them a radius, then cut the strait sections with a die grinder.

Here is the clamp up, some old tubes and lots of fussing. I got it as close as I could, but that is always a guess on a boat.......nothing is ever square or the same from side to side!

I'm pretty happy with the results.....lots of work to go, but managable

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch that is simply just awesome work. I can't wait to see your vision of this added feature completed.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complements guys! Patt, the door is sort of a funny story. My dad was having he doors replace and the guy had an extra panel with windows in it that he got cheap. Anyhow after the tornado 3 years ago, he liked the light the door let in so much he did it again. It does work nice. I thought about doing that on the hanger, but the windows are a lot smaller on the commercial doors....and they face the west so not such a good thing some times of the year.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Didn't Get a lot done??????? Holy cow, that looks like quite a lot to me! Very impressive work. Thanks for having us along on this awesome build!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol, well I had a lot more on my list Mike! Speaking of list, I was trying to sort out what to do next. I think am going to focus on the front seats and the dog house. I can send the seats off to get upholstered, and once I have the dog house done I can pull the motor and gimble housing. After that we are off to the races on paint and putting things back together! two steps forward and one back!

For some reason building the dog house out of 1/4" plywood popped into my head tonight. Don't ask me why, but I am thinking a more detailed model is in order. I could probably do it out of cardboard, but plywood kept popping up. I'll think about it some more tonight, regardless, I need to study that design and get it detailed.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is heavier, wood or glass? I don't know a thing about fiberglass so take it for what it's worth but I guess if you do enough layers of glass it will be plenty strong. Making those sun decks adjenceint to the dog house means it should be strong enough for the occasional bikini clad passenger walking on it. Would hate to see spider cracks in it because someone stepped on it or dove off of it. All this talk of dog houses and sunbathing makes me think of Snoopy. Go figure

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pat, I should have put that differently, I am thinking about building a wood mock up, not the final product. Snoopy huh, Lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok tonight I drilled out the rub rail. I was trying to talk myself out of it, since the rivits are tabbed in on the back side......they start spinning once the head comes off. But it wasn't to bad. Plus it will give me a lot better paint job....and make it easier to buff out the rub rail. I also have a small crack that extended under the rub rail that I can correctly repair now.

I also pondered the dog house and seats. I think I am warming up to the boxy dog house.....just seems to fit and makes another place for the ladies. But I don't think I am going to add padding too it. I also think I have talked myself out of the cowl type scoop.....its a cruiser! And that would just add noise, if I want noise I will take Miss Morgan......she makes a sweet loud noise. Fuggly is more of a 1971 Cadillac, meant to cruise!

I also think I have talked myself out of making the seat backs on each side of the engine flip up 180. Now I think I will make them flip up 90, to make a longer layout area. I sort of mocked this up with the cardboard on the right side. With a pad on the deck area, and the seat flipped up, you have a 20" x 48" layout area....not bad.

On venting, I think I am moving to a blower and a intake. I am toying with moving the vents to the back, facing down. They are high enough it shouldn't be an issue.....if it is, we are sinking anyhow!

I'm still fighting with the hinge for the dog house at the back. I may rethink that and have it fold forward, which is how it was originally. I can quickly take it off the hinges if need be. Anyhow that will work into the backseat layout!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Snoopy ...... Boat name ! But I guess she already has a name ...
Could the vents go on the out side of the gunwhales ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey Sam, I looked at that, but there isn't a good spot. The only large, where they could fit, are is curved. I have also looked at putting them on either side of the dog house, the part sloping at a 45 in the picture. That is where they original were.....but the do take up a little room where the sundeck pads will be.

The bigger issue at the moment is where to put the hinges. I think I have almost talked myself into putting them on the front.....There are a lot more mounting options up there.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I spent the morning cleaning so that I could actually do something, and sorting supplies. this afternoon I spent measuring and drawing up the dog house......I cut out the pieces of MDO tonight and also made some oversize cove for the corners.....actually just laminated some more wood onto the cove to build it up. Now I hope all of this fits together tomorrow!