Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice work. I have to ask, with that much metal there now, did it add to the tongue weight?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
While your at it yous could make yourself some steps to make getting in and out easier,...

Maybe something like this,...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, I might have to try the field goal kicking, lol

GM, I don't think I added any wight, what was there was fairly substantial, just didn't work very well.

Teamster, that looks like a cool idea. I may look into that, it is high boat to get into from the ground.

Thanks for all the comments, looking forward to wrapping up the welding.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I might have to try the field goal kicking, lol

GM, I don't think I added any wight, what was there was fairly substantial, just didn't work very well.

Teamster, that looks like a cool idea. I may look into that, it is high boat to get into from the ground.

Thanks for all the comments, looking forward to wrapping up the welding.

arch, I don't about your area, but where I live we are presently having high winds and 40 degree temps. I just came in form the shop where I started up the kerosene heater in hopes it gets to something comfortable enough to work in later. But with welding, you create your own heat. Sounds like a win win deal to me. :thumb:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Eeze Step is the manufacturer of the ones I have seen,....

It looks like yous have the skills to make your own,....

A quick google search should find lot's of results for pictures and ideas,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Funny you should ask GM, the wind is NE at 43 mph right now, lol!

Yea I use to live in north east PA when I was little. I know all about such things. Now I live in middle GA and we usually don't get that cold. I feel you pain. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM we are fairly warm for this time of year, it was in the 50s today.

So i have been contemplating the plan of attack now that things are shaping up on the welding and the deck is closing in on being 100% I ordered some foam today, I should be able to wrap up the last of the foam and deck in front of the toe board in an afternoon. Also, the welding and misc on the trailer shouldn't take long. I REALLY would love to avoid it, but I think I need to install the motor and drive next. There are two main reasons for this:
  1. The 6 banger changes the weight distribution on the trailer. I'd like to figure out where the axle needs to go before I paint it...minor detail, but that would avoid touching up the trailer later if I don't mock it up.
  2. The 6 banger is about 1' longer than the 4 banger. The 4 banger was really close to the cover in the front....a little more room under the cover would have been nice. Also vertically it would be a nice to have another 1' or so. The spark arrester actually rubbed a hole in the insulation on the cover. Given the length of the the 6, I need to either modify the cover or build another one. This of course ties in with the interior layout, which I have an idea in my head, but doing all this will help me work through the interior. As part of that, I need to put in the dash sections also.
So, long story short, looks like I have a big mock up as the next step. Two steps forward and one back, lol. Hopefully that will make the end game a lot smoother!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I was out measuring and looking at the interior layout tonight. The more I thought about it, putting the engine in is the only way to go Looks like cardboard seats / interior are in my future! I think I;m going to enlarge the rear deck and have a full width bench seat across the back. I may change my mind, I'm giving up a lot of real estate, but I hate seats on either side of a dog house.....reminds me of a bunk bed, works but not ideal! :D

Kiloecho

Seaman
I was out measuring and looking at the interior layout tonight. The more I thought about it, putting the engine in is the only way to go Looks like cardboard seats / interior are in my future! I think I;m going to enlarge the rear deck and have a full width bench seat across the back. I may change my mind, I'm giving up a lot of real estate, but I hate seats on either side of a dog house.....reminds me of a bunk bed, works but not ideal! :D

Arch:

Maybe a sun deck over the doghouse with storage underneath. My Arabian with the sun deck and bench seat would be very similar to what you described.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Kiloeco, I'm thinking something along those lines, I used to have a SeaRay with that setup and I really liked it. The only issue is that the top of the dog house is about 4" taller than the rest of of the rear deck. I'm going to look at having a padded sundeck all the way across, but it may look a little goofy. My other thought is to have a padded sundeck on either side of the dog house, which is the way I am leaning right now. Not as functional. but might be a good compromise. But we'll see when I get the engine in.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What about a large C shaped bench around the taller doghouse. C faces rearward.

Eliminates the jump seats and would allow lounging while under way....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How much taller is the dog house than the proposed sundeck ?
Maybe thin foam on the d/h with thicker foam on the deck .. Maybe make it removable so that it can be stored while underway ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Not sure I totally follow JB, are your talking about where everyone faced towards the dog house, almost like it is a table? That may not be what you are talking about, but an interesting idea.

Sam, the dog house is about 4" taller, so it would stick up quite a ways.....6" or so.

Josh, I have toyed with that, just not sure how it will look. I'll take a couple of photos of it, the gunnels stick up a couple inches above the "deck" area on each side of the dog house. I think the dog house is an inch or two above the gunnels. I think it will look cleanest if the padded deck is flush with the gunnels on the side. I could build it up to be taller than the dog house like Sam suggested, but I think it will look funny from the side.

I was also thinking about the upper raised deck in front of the bow.....its sort of a casting deck or something. I really haven't come up with a use for it. (other than a hot tub). I was just thinking after Sam mentioned removable, that might be a place for a sun deck. Maybe a goofy idea, but its some unused real estate. Keeping the back simple might be the best idea! Actually keeping it all simple is a good idea, lol :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope...

Imagine there is a seat back and cushion where the jump seat would be, but it extends all the way out to a bench cushion across the front of the doghouse at the same height.

1 big C shaped cushioned area. Stretch out on either side of the doghouse or across in front of it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got you, sort of loungers on either side of the dog house, that also has a center seat in front of the dog house facing forward? Kind of like the loungers on some of the pontoons? I think that could be cool if the seat back was adjustable so that it would recline. Might save me some fiberglass work over my current plan.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here are some pics to give you an idea of what it looks like right now.

This is the bow area. Its really compressed in the bow to stern axis compared to most boats. It has the little seat things below the windshield, but you couldn't set on it and stretch out bow to stern. Now if it was a large raised flat area, it might make for a sun deck. I'm planning on loosing the rails by the way. I don't really want anyone up there while under way, and they are kind of goofy looking! Sort of they built it and were standing in front of it admiring their handy work and the safety guy came by and made them add 12" tall rails :eek: She will look a lot sexier without them :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is a shot of the stern.

I forgot, the center part were the dog house sits is higher than the gunnels. The dog house is 4" ABOVE what you are seeing in the pic.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is the height at the gunnel, about 1-3/4" above the rear deck

Here is the shot where the dog house cover sits. Its about 3" off the deck. The dog house adds another 4" for a total of 7" above the deck and about 5" above the gunnel