56 Glass Magic Sportmaster

droolbot

Seaman
Purchased 1956 Glass Magic Sportmaster...

Recently purchased a 1956 Glass Magic Sportmaster and can only find one site with any info on it. Just wanted something that I could take fishing, so when a friend said he had a boat he would sell me for one dollar on a working trailer I jumped on it!
Now I am concerned about what I have and turning it into a fishing vessel. Since I can find absolutely nothing about it on line, does that mean I have some very rare gem? The only way I know what it is is by the title which says Glass Magic, and a cone shaped item with the symbol on it. No other decals...only know sportmaster by pictures in brochure I found on one site. Told that it floats, looks to have original windshield. No steering column or throttle control, but not even sure they were stock items. Does anybody know where I can get any more information? Since there is nothing on line, does that mean I have the last survivor? Lol. Would anybody happen to know what this cone shaped item that has the decal may be? All I can think of would be something for the center of a steering wheel. Will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it. Been told I need to link from a photo sharing sight, but need to figure that out as well. ANY ifo would be GREATLY appreciated! Plan is to work on it when salmon/kokanee not in season and eventually get it to as near original as possible, but not sure how plausible that will be if attaching pole holders, etc. (I understand I probably am making somebodys stomach turn with that statement...)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Well in a few very rare instances old boats do have some collector value, but that is mostly limited to wooden boats. Alum boats now matter the age are desirable. Old glass boats are just that old boats. Makers jump in and out of production. Now that being said as long as its what you like then its all good and their is a section just for rebuilding older boats and you will find people here who can help and answer most any question you have. I will answer one right off. Just about any and all hard wear and controls is generic and available. Steering and helm controls are packaged kits, motors and controls are by brand and instruments are easy to find.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This might Tickle Your Fancy...http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glass_Magic
The cone is prolly the Steering Helm. Boat is only worth what you want it to be. You can build it into just about anything you want. Over in the restoration forum there's lot's of examples of conversions. You should go check em out!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Glass Magic was sold down here but that was 60 years ago. Not raining on your parade, but boats built in that era were not environmentally resistant as they are today and soggy wood and floatation foam, if you had such vs an air compartment which never stayed sealed were the norm.]

I was there. I know.

Mark

droolbot

Seaman
No parade to rain on here..the boat was a buck. Gives me some options for repair. So, i am assuming the foam would bu under the seats an the sealed in sections in the rear. How do I check the foam? Maybe drill small holes an put a probe of some sort in?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
First thing is inspecting for a sealed deck. If nothing seems to be obvious, you can look at/measure the depth of the hull and the depth of the interior. Any significant difference would be an air chamber. In the transom of the boat I had there was a screw threaded into it, about 1/4" in diameter and it was obvious that it connected to the chamber. Upon tilting the boat, tongue up, on the trailer, you could unscrew the screw and let the water drain. Main entry points were around where the deck meets the hull and at the transom. They don't have to be obvious to be there. Both of these areas have a lot of stresses due to hull vs deck movement and almost impossible to keep sealed, especially after that time span. Once I was attempting to purchase a used boat and in taking the test drive, you could watch the deck and sides move in different directions. Obviously I passed.

If there is a cut out right at the transom center and a conventional drain plug there may or may not be a chamber. Some chambers had plugs, about the same size as the drain plug on both sides of this cut out where the chambers could be drained. Some had the chamber with no sides to it and you could look up under the deck (Chrysler bass boat). Any water is a potential problem over time.

(Weighing the boat would surely tell but you need data and anything can upset your numbers besides being water logged. Sitting low in the water at rest could be a sign also.)

I'd do that before I did a test hole. But that is a way to find out and easy to seal when finished. Just block your drill such that you can't accidentally drill on through the hull.

Don't remember when flotation was mandatory for CG or BIA cert., but your boat may not have a chamber nor any flotation.

If it had Styrofoam flotation, that was used in sheets and they would be placed loose on the stringers prior to installing the deck. I had a '65 Starcraft I/O like that and the foam was intact, course it was Styrofoam, like the white coffee cups. It was in 1" x 10" strips about 8' long or thereabouts.

Otherwise it would be blown in and usually that meant holes in the deck for the gun in several places.

Some had some attached to the bottom of the front deck for those with one.

Small alum boats had it inside the aluminum cross seat and probably held up better than any.

You can always test the floor for soft spots and the transom for weakness, like standing on the antivent. plate on the OB and moving up and down rapidly.

I don't remember any wood boats of the day having any. Just FG and alum.

HTH,
Mark

droolbot

Seaman
I see people on here talking about the foam in boats, and been warned this could be a problem in mt 56 Glass Magic. Obvious question here, but would it be under the seats and raised area in the back? When I tap on these areas it sounds hollow. Do all boats have foam? Any suggestion on how to check it without completely cutting out?

Also, the wood in the transom is exposed but seems VERY solid. I mean hard like a rock. Does it need to be replaced or can it be dried and sealed?

Lastly, am attaching picture of the area around transom...not sure if it is considered part of it or not. Pretty sure it has its own name! The lower area directly in front of motor. The wood there is exposed and split, so figuring I need to pull and replace (rounded wood in picture). Does not seem to be attached to transom, as in used for support, so not sure what its true function is, and what I will find when I pull it. I really do have some common sense, but am also that guy who will tear one thing off, only to find out not necessary and what I did caused other things to fall off! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That rounded peice should be attached to the transom. I know my old wood boat does not have that type of support,but yours should. Its going to be a bit tough to attach the new wood to the old wet wood,even if ya think its dry enough,it isn't. Replacing the entire transom is the best route to take in this situation.
Keep us posted on the progress!

droolbot

Seaman
Thank you very much for the in depth response! You replied just as I was posting the questions you pretty much answered!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep I agree with grub ...looking at it on my cell so kinda hard to see but it looks like a full replacement is needed ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Droolbot, I really like your boat and am glad you've decided to post your restoration here on iBoats. The Rules and Guidelines here on the forum state that you should keep all of your posts about your boat restoration in the same thread in order to make it easier for the members to follow along with all the progress and questions and answers submitted. You should contact a Moderator and have him combine the two threads you currently have so there is no confusion about your progress. I agree with the others, You should strongly consider doing a full transom replacement on this old boat. It's the right thing to do. The stringers will probably need to be replaced as well.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thank you very much for the in depth response! You replied just as I was posting the questions you pretty much answered!
Don't dispar. You have the boat. Weigh your odds. Decide if any repairs are part of the "entertainment budget" or not. One thing for sure. If you do have serious problems and do a restoration to whatever degree that requires, Every time you take the boat out you "gloat" at the fact that your restored this relic and it's there for you and your loved ones to enjoy. That's the way I felt about my Starcraft. Lots of work not too much money as I worked around the high priced things. Got her done and nothing but awe.

Good luck.

Mark

droolbot

Seaman
I already feel that way and havnt done anuthing to her yet! I feel lucky that i came across a pretty plain boat with no floors or other really major repair possibility problems. ALMOST purchased a cheap Glastron, but decided only wanted a smaller boat for fishing...then found out about the possible hidden problems under the floors of the larger boats..not to mention needing larger motors, etc. Just wish i had run across this one before summer. The Oregon rain is going to limit my work abilities for a while!

Thanks again for all your help and words of encouragement. Kinda funny...a guy that lives in the land of lakes and rivers getting his best advice from a guy in North Texas! Lived in a town called Ranger for a couple years in high school and only remember two lakes within a reasonable drive!

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I already feel that way and havnt done anuthing to her yet! I feel lucky that i came across a pretty plain boat with no floors or other really major repair possibility problems. ALMOST purchased a cheap Glastron, but decided only wanted a smaller boat for fishing...then found out about the possible hidden problems under the floors of the larger boats..not to mention needing larger motors, etc. Just wish i had run across this one before summer. The Oregon rain is going to limit my work abilities for a while!

Thanks again for all your help and words of encouragement. Kinda funny...a guy that lives in the land of lakes and rivers getting his best advice from a guy in North Texas! Lived in a town called Ranger for a couple years in high school and only remember two lakes within a reasonable drive!

Well sir, I bought my own boat before I had a car to tow it.....a 13' wooden semiV with a new Wizard (Mercury built) 25 hp. Used mom's. I was still in high school. I got the money working in the summer. I was born in S. TX and grew up there, water wasn't far away. Spent 4 years over in MS, on the coast. Never lived far from water. I'm over 70 and only time I wasn't boating was a 10 year stretch when I moved to the country....but I brought my boat with me...The Starcraft.

Good luck,
Mark

droolbot

Seaman
Have tried to figure this out on-line, but not understanding. What exactly are stringers and where would i find them?