56 Glass Magic Sportmaster

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Under the deck/floor of your boat you'll find a grid/system of wood running for and aft and port to starboard. These are your stringers and bulkheads. This pic shows a typical layout. No Two boats are alike when it comes to how the stringers and bulkheads are laid out. Depending on the shape of the hull and the way the engineers designed it makes the grid layout different. The Stringers run front to back and the bulkheads, side to side. The Transom is the back of the boat and it's what the motor hangs off of.

stringer.jpg

This will help with some of the nautical terminology we use here on the forum...
boat_parts.jpg

droolbot

Seaman
Thank you! So the stringers are the round pipe looking things on the bottom? These seem very sturdy in my boat. Had already stood on and tapped them since they appeared to be what was giving the hull strength. Would i still need to replace them?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since they are Half Round I suspect they are "Formed" fiberglass stringers and Probably hollow. I'd recommend drilling into them with a 1/4" drill to confirm that they are not Filled with water. The wood Knee braces at the back, mounted to the transom and the transom for sure will need to be replaced. If in fact the stringers are hollow Fiberglass and are still solidly attached to the hull then there should be no need to mess with them. I'd recommend getting the interior thoroughly cleaned out so we all can get a better "Look See" at everything

droolbot

Seaman
Found a steering wheel housing, pulley and cables from an old p14 that will work on my boat. Are steering wheels pretty universal for the mount hole, or do I need to find a specific kind?

droolbot

Seaman
Jumped the gun and ordered a steering wheel on line, luckily it fits. Now I have a question on the mechanics of the steering. Here is a picture of what I have. It was attached to a single wire running along either side of the boat to the motor. Wondering how the cable connects and works? This was on the floor of the boat and cable was still behind dash, so am guessing cable does not run through it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
These should help...The Transom set up IS for both cables running down ONE side of the boat but you should be able to figure out how it would work for running the cables down either side. Tension spring setup is the same. Important thing is to makesure that the pulleys and springs are thru bolted and NOT screwed to the hull. Screws WILL pull free and THAT IS NOT GOOD!!!
c1283cc8.jpg

rearpulleyhookup.jpg

droolbot

Seaman
Thought it would look something like that with the cable. They had somehow removed the pulley without removing the wire. Must of had it jimmy rigged...

droolbot

Seaman
Can you tell me what kind of system that is called? Trying to find cable just in case, but all i can find are the rotary cables...thanks again!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yep I agree with grub ...looking at it on my cell so kinda hard to see but it looks like a full replacement is needed ..

Welcomr to I boiats..................................time to ri-her up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's called a cable and pulley system. You can use the vinyl cover 3/16" cable that's available at Lowe's. I did and it works GREAT!!! You can buy new pulleys and springs, online in a multitude of places.