Cetol gloss still sticky after 3-4 weeks

Speakrdude

Ensign
Applied to the letter or the law (instructions) Still tacky after 3-4 weeks drying in a room with a heater.
Any pointers, just short of removing and starting over?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
how Old was it? Especially the MEKP. How and where was it stored? What were the Temps, Humidity etc... when you did the layup? It's all pertinent to the outcome.

jbcurt00

Staff member
how Old was it? Especially the MEKP. How and where was it stored? What were the Temps, Humidity etc... when you did the layup? It's all pertinent to the outcome.
WOG, I don't think Cetol wood finish is supposed to have MEKP added to it.
ilx-iva-315q_lg_1.jpg

Does the room w/ heat meet the curing criteria:
Drying Time: To touch: 3 to 4 hrs @ 68°F 65%RH; overcoat: 24hrs.

Was there a jelly in the bottom of an old can of Cetol. I've seen stuff settle out of finishes that have been sitting around before, Esp old finishes that are exposed to repeated heat/cold cycles, like in an unheated storage/garage space. The jelly won't stir back into the finish and often then the finishes won't cure properly after.

Was this the 1st, 2nd or 3rd coat of Cetol? If it was the 1st or 2nd, what, if anything, was applied before the Cetol? Or if it was the 1st or 2nd coat, was the 1st coat applied to bare wood? What type of wood? New/old/perfect wood?

If it wasn't the 1st coat of Cetol, did you sand and prep the existing coat before application of the coat that didn't cure? Did you wipe the surface w/ paint thinner, mineral spirits, acetone or a tack cloth before applying the unccured coat?

Many finishes won't cure properly if applied too heavily.

I suspect the best advice is going to be remove the uncured coat by whatever means necessary.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well cut my legs off and call me Shorty!!! I guess you're right!!! Yup I suspect it's Old and the chemicals have separated in the can. Prolly gunna need to strip and start again.

Speakrdude

Ensign
Cleaned with Special thinner, (same brand) Sanded, Cleaned with thinner again. Applied 2 coats of cetol Marine (varnish) each coat seemed to dry fine. New can of clear. Stirred well, no separation in the can, looked fine. Applied one coat. Still tacky. You can indent your thumbnail in finish. Tried heated bathroom for a week at 80 degrees. Put out in the sun yesterday, not much better, maybe a little. May take a while but I'm hopeful.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
New can of Clear??? New can of Cetol or did you apply Clear coat over the Cetol? I'm getting confused.:confused:

Speakrdude

Ensign
The Cetol Clear was a new unopened can. Had been sitting in my shop for a while, but new, none the less. Still had the shipping clip on the lid. Cetol Marine is the colored varnish. Cetol Clear is the clear made specially to go over the Cetol Marine Varnish.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, Now I gotcha. Anytime a varnish does not cure, 9 times out of 10 it's due to the chemicals separating and not doing their job. It's difficult to tell sometimes especially with Clears!!! If it hasn't cured in this amount of time with heat and sun, it's not going to. I'd recommend getting out the Acetone and taking it off and starting over. NOT what you wanna hear but...there's no way I know of to salvage it.:blue: