1967 glastron project

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1763.jpg

This is my winter project. Bought sometime at the beginning of September from a friends brother and I really excited to spend my winter (money) to make something spectacular. It is a 1967 Glastron I am not sure on the model so if you know the info would be much appreciated. The Motor is a 1975 Evinrude 85 hp. I had a couple of great, calm, and empty days out on the lake before I had to start tearing her apart. The motor ran amazing. Which is really surprising due to the fact that I checked compression when i bought it and all cylinders were between 105-108. (Knocked the price down quite a bit because of that). If the speedo was correct I was around 30-35 mph. very smooth boat and I love the look of it. The windshield is full of hair-line cracks so you cant see out of it. Which I want to try to bend one into one myself. (try being the key word) Originally light green in color but the blue that was painted over was done in a poor manor and is now chipping and peeling so I will be trying my hand in some painting. Planning on rustolem navy blue on top with white on the bottom. Already have new carpet just needs to be installed. The guy who wired it must have had one to many because the wiring on it was pathetic. Hundreds of useless connections and extra wires everywhere. Pulled that all out tonight and will replace with new when I get a chance.(already have a wiring diagram made) Another thing I want to do is make a new base for the two-sided seat because the plastic one is just to flimsy and uncomfortable. Will have to get a second one for the other side. I worked on a lot of cars but this is my first boat. Grew up on boats as a kid but parents never had time to go out. Any else have a similar story? (Same boat?!)Any information would be great! Hope you like my Pictures I know I always like to have a visual on any post I read.

IMG_9391.jpg IMG_6517.jpg IMG_0997.jpg IMG_3337.jpg IMG_4906.png IMG_7516.jpg IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1750.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!.. There a hundreds of similar Runabouts that have been restored here on the forum so doubt you'll have any problem finding lots of resources for examples of what to do for yours. Just keep posting pics and questions and you'll get plenty of responses. The second link in my signature below will be a good place to start reading on what you are about to undertake. For your windshield a NEW replacement is Quite Pricey but...you can make your own fairly easily and one of our members currently has a thread going where he shows exactly how it's done. Check out lakelovers thread on the subject.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to dry dock....Cool boat! Gotta love the Glastrons!!! Here is what the royal blue rustoleum looks like.....

Check out Woodonglass "paint your boat" link..

Corjen 1 Thanks for the example! I see your had i really shiny finish on it. Roll and tip method or did you spray? Also with the classic u shape of blue paint in the back how did you do that. As you can see mine did not have that and i dont know where to start with laying out that template

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you checked out the Classic Glastron Site?
I would have thought your compression readings were good for an OMC.Most of what I've read says that they are lower than that new on the v4 and v6's.
Gotta love the old Glastrons.Good to see another one retored.

ended up taking the floor out today and put in some new 3/4 in marine grade plywood. (expensive piece of wood) Put my carpet down right I laid the plywood. Bought a 6' x12' marine grade gray carpet. Laid it with indoor/outdoor adhesive and it went on great and only ended up with one are bubble. I also bought all my paint supplies. All the paint which was navy blue and gloss white rustoleum marine topside paint. Really nice roller and brush, trays, 220 sand paper, tape, plastic, and paint thinner.

On my motor which is an 1975 evinrude 85 hp 85593e has a leak. it is coming for the transom side of the motor and is located right underneath the fly wheel. The motor runs 100% fine but it needs to be fixed. I have no clue what is is that is leaking. there are several more like it all the way around under the flywheel and they are green. Any help is greatly appreciated!! IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1784.jpg IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1779.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Did you check the stringers and transom for rot ? A boat that old usually has structural issues unless ya get real lucky ...

jbcurt00

Staff member
How did you attach the plywood to the stringers and hull, and how did you seal the plywood before carpet?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Nice boat! I have a soft spot for the old Glastrons, my father had a 1965 SkiFlite that I drove for many years. I'm not sure what model you have here, check out the Fiberglassics site. Your picture of the windshield caught my interest because as jb said, I'm making a replacement windshield right now. Here's a link to my thread, and it also contains links to other resources:

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Sorry for that link above, having trouble linking directly to my thread!

The title is: [h=1]Replacing windshield on 1964 Starcraft Jet Star[/h]

Last edited:
I checked both stringers and transom and they looked good. Stringers looked like they had just been replaced and the transom looked fine. The only reason I replace the flooring is because someone had made holes to screw something down and it left holes in the fiberglass overlay. The rot was centralized around those holes but I figured since i had everything ripped out I might as well do it. As for vapor protection it put a plastic vapor barrier on the bottom and the carpet I bought has water proof backing on it. Also this boat will only be used a few hours at a time and always be stored inside. So I am not concerned about it rotting anytime soon or getting a lot of water in it. The gap on the sides had a separate piece of wood (1x2 attached to the hull) and was fiberglassed over. Laid a bead of silicon to attach the new to the old. Also due to some help I figured out the model is a !967 Bayflite v-163 ss.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The deck is only 1 part of a system that includes the hull and stringers.

Choosing to not water proof it is your choice to make, but the deck should be glassed to the hull along that joint and using silicone to fill the gap isn't sufficient, IMO. And laying a plastic vapor barrier below the deck is likely to increase the speed at which an unsealed plywood deck rots, not slow it down....

Visual inspection alone is the worst possible method to determine the condition of stringers and transoms.

Best of luck w/ the rest of your rehab, and I hope you consider using some of the available resources here at the best place on the internet for boat rehab help and instruction......

My goal is to have a functional boat. Not a "pretty" boat that I am afraid to scratch or get dirty. I would stand on the floor of the fiber glass if I need to. I have seen a lot worse decks out there and I'm not concerned about mine being that bad because it will only get used a few hours at a time and be stored inside the rest.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
SG , we are here to help out if we can . Sometimes it seems like we might be jumping on you a bit but all we want is the best for you ,your restoration , and the safety of whoever you put in your boat . If we notice something that is questionable in these restoration we feel an obligation to point them out . Otherwise why would we be here . So please don,t take the constructive criticism the wrong way . Believe it or not these are the best most helpful group of guys you will ever know . Most all of the advise is spot on except for mine most of the time .. :facepalm::rolleyes:
That being said ,jbc is correct about tabbing /glassing the deck to the sides of the hull . Silicon is definitely not your best option . That tabbing is an important part of the integrity of the hull . It also keeps water from getting in under the deck . It keeps the hull from moving and twisting while under way causing the gell coat to crack .
I hope this helps a little ! .... SP ... :)

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
SP, JB and the gang are spot on!
star glass 87 what you have described is structurally deficient, and that leads to being unsafe. Unsafe for you, for your passengers, and for those in the area you are boating in! It's like a car without all the bolts. Safety needs to be part of the equation!!!!

Last edited:
Ok so so everyone can sleep tonight let me clarify what I did. I Laid a new piece of 3/4 in marine grade plywood over the existing. I ripped out the front 3' x 26.5" section at the front. ( this part was not fiber glassed in like the deck and had been drilled into for a cooler which was taken off) This is where i looked at the stingers and after seeing them decided not to do any further investigation into it because it all had new paint on the bottom. (was originally green and the bottom had been painted blue by someone who did a lot of work to the boat including the repair on the transom) As seen in the picture the rest of the deck has a fiberglass resin on it. (except for the part that came off when the old carpet was removed) Where it came off including the new front section got the plastic vapor barrier. (left over from a finishing my garage) The silicon came in in connecting the big 4x8 sheet (placed over the old one) to the front 3'x26.5" (double stacked) because i didn't want a gap. I decided not to fiber glass the deck toward the front because of the location being under the dash and i don't think a ton of water will get up there compared to the rear. I should planned this out better and consider me a blind man trying to find a needle in a hay stack but as long as stab my self with that needle ill consider it a success. After rereading the comments, next time i do something big like this ill check in before I stab myself.

-Should i really rip it up and redo it? Is it so bad that it will rot in a month and ill fall through after the first wave?
-Anyone help me out with my motor situation? I wanna get the parts ordered if I need to. I already know i wanna clean the carbs out.
-Seriously thank everyone for their comments. don't know why my picture is so small cant change it so you might have to get your glasses on to see it.

Untitled.png

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's the deal. Marine plywood is good stuff, but..It will still rot if left unsealed. It will take longer but it will. your carpet will absorp and hold water and will leech into the wood below and hold the water. The silicone will fail and allow water to also penetrate the wood at the edges which is the main area of concern for plywood. Overlaying a deck is usually not a good idea. If the stringers and transom had recently been done then the deck prolly had too. This is good and possibly you'll be ok. All of these things consitute the "Structural BONES" of your boat. Since you stated your boat sees Light usage, and is always covered she'll prolly last a long time with this repair. I would Vacuum it out after each use and try to suck out as much water etc as possible. I'd recommend posting your Motor pics and issues in the Johnson/Evinrude section of our Motor Forum. You'll get a LOT better response over there.;)

pereiraf

Recruit
View attachment 200432

This is my winter project. Bought sometime at the beginning of September from a friends brother and I really excited to spend my winter (money) to make something spectacular. It is a 1967 Glastron I am not sure on the model so if you know the info would be much appreciated. The Motor is a 1975 Evinrude 85 hp. I had a couple of great, calm, and empty days out on the lake before I had to start tearing her apart. The motor ran amazing. Which is really surprising due to the fact that I checked compression when i bought it and all cylinders were between 105-108. (Knocked the price down quite a bit because of that). If the speedo was correct I was around 30-35 mph. very smooth boat and I love the look of it. The windshield is full of hair-line cracks so you cant see out of it. Which I want to try to bend one into one myself. (try being the key word) Originally light green in color but the blue that was painted over was done in a poor manor and is now chipping and peeling so I will be trying my hand in some painting. Planning on rustolem navy blue on top with white on the bottom. Already have new carpet just needs to be installed. The guy who wired it must have had one to many because the wiring on it was pathetic. Hundreds of useless connections and extra wires everywhere. Pulled that all out tonight and will replace with new when I get a chance.(already have a wiring diagram made) Another thing I want to do is make a new base for the two-sided seat because the plastic one is just to flimsy and uncomfortable. Will have to get a second one for the other side. I worked on a lot of cars but this is my first boat. Grew up on boats as a kid but parents never had time to go out. Any else have a similar story? (Same boat?!)Any information would be great! Hope you like my Pictures I know I always like to have a visual on any post I read.

View attachment 200434 View attachment 200439 View attachment 200437 View attachment 200438 View attachment 200435 View attachment 200436 View attachment 200429 View attachment 200430 View attachment 200431
I turned my 1967 Glastron Bayflite v-163 into a fishing boat for both ocean and lake usage. Bought it in 1995 and since then remodeled it 3 times. Last remodeld I convert the boat into a Center Console to gain walk around mobility in the boat. This boat is fast and very stable and great in the lakes. I live overseas in The Republic of Panama and we have superb fishing down here. Easy to trailer everywhere. hope to get many more yeras from the boat.

Attachments

• BOTE EN FRIJOLES.jpg
    BOTE EN FRIJOLES.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.