Formula 27PC Transom Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
More good and Bad news
The good is I'm pretty sure that all the water came from an unsealed area around the new water tank put in a few years ago. First I see it as a bad design because there was no sealent used to keep water from seaping between the tank and the foam. In the original design Formula used an aluminum tank which over time developed pin holes. I replaced it with a plastic one and in doing so I sort of caused my own problem. I didn't use any sealant mainly because Formula didn't, figured they knew better then me, Well they used aluminum and the foam would stick to it, but it wouldn't stick very well to my plastic tank.

fetch

I drilled several test holes all along the inside of where the water tank was and found it to be damp about half way up toward the bow. Drill holes on the out side of were the tank was and it's dry. Pulled off some more of the engine bulkhead wall on the port side and it was dry on both sides. It is also dry under were the water heater is sitting. So looks like finish ripping out the board in the water tank area and then let it dry out and see what else I need to do and develop a plan.

Now the Bad, I was drilling two test holes in the water tank area where there was the most discoloration. They were meant to be shallow holes like the others. Drill just a tad, and check. Did this four times and getting next to no reading on the meter. Thinking the hull must be think and have a lot a glass on it. Oh well drilled right through the hull. At least there was no ugly and at least this should be an easy fix later. Just need to remember to fix :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Ugly would have been if you put a circular saw thru the hull. :D. Just remember to repair the hole before you start putting things back together, I guess would be the thing to do.

So, your water tank was separated from the foam much like my fuel tank was separated from the foam? Bummer, but at least you are getting through the problem areas and hopefully soon will be able to put together a go-forward plan.

I'm just thinking if you hadn't decided to replace the engine this winter . . . Would have gone on for additional years. As bad as it is in finding this stuff, it is always good to be fixing it.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The tank wasn't separated from the foam, the foam just wouldn't stick to the plastic. Forget what kind of plastic it is, bought it from a place in Texas. Remember the guy mentioned he welds the plastic parts together. The sides of the tank are very slick and about 3/8 thick. I'm hoping that after I get the rest of it opened and dried out that I don't have to take the fuel tank out.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, but for safety sake, if the fuel tank has been sitting in wet foam, then it is worth a look at the underside.

Your fuel tank is probably 0.190" thick and has 3 or 4 internal baffle chambers.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It has been wet, vacuumed up water for three days as it worked it's way down. I'm hoping one of two things; 1) if it gets totally dried out then maybe I'm good, it takes water to work it's way thru, just guessing, like the water tank. The water tank took around 17 years to spring a leak. My water tank was replaced 2 or 3 years ago, and prior to that it was dry. 2) What will it take for you to come visit for a while :) and help

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
It has been wet, vacuumed up water for three days as it worked it's way down. I'm hope one of two things; 1) if it gets totally dried out then maybe I'm good, it takes water to work it's way thru, just guessing, like the water tank. The water tank took around 17 years to spring a leak. My water tank was replaced 2 or 3 years ago, and prior to that it was dry. 2) What will it take for you to come visit for a while :) and help

How much snow do you have? :)

alldodge

Staff member
Did a bit of work today but didn't get to far. I need a better way of getting the old wood out. My engine stringers are good and dry so I'm trying not to mess with them. By not touching the stringers I'm having a hard time getting the wood out between them and the bulkhead. It would probably be easier to rip the stringers out but hoping there are some better ways.

Note: gas tank is within an inch in front and 2 inches to the side

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, sawzall with a wrecking blade . . . I would make a separating cut right where the stringer meets the bulkhead and then a couple cuts into the bulkhead wood either side of the stringer . . . then a cut into the opposite side of the bulkhead wood, separating it from the fiberglass / tabbing. That should loosen the bulkhead wood up enough that you can remove it fairly easily.

I noticed on some of your pictures that it looks like you are trying to save the tabbing on the fuel tank side of the bulkhead (right?). I guess you would have to in order not to remove the tank .

alldodge

Staff member
Have the sides of the bulkhead cut away from each side of the engine stringer on port side. Been chipping away to get the wood out behind it. Hammer, chisel, pry bar and a bit of sawzall. The wood is very wet, yet it is stuck to both sides of the glass. The same issue is with the plywood which runs along side between water tank and gas tank. Glass is on both sides of the wood and there is two layers of it 1 1/2 inch. Ass you know there is also the ribs which cause an issue.

As before I hope I don't "have to" remove the tank, and the main reason is I don't think it can be removed without cutting the upper deck. The starboard side will be more of an issue but the moisture appears to just be down low, maybe the lowest two inches. Moisture runs from 20 to 26% bottom two inches, less then 15% above that.

alldodge

Staff member
More very slow and some what steady progress
Photo451.jpg

Cut section off top of tank
Photo452.jpg

Chipping away at it
Photo453.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Boy, am I glad I have a Sun Sport and not a Performance Cruiser . . . steady progress though.

Why did you 'pop' the plywood cover off the tank?

alldodge

Staff member
Boy, am I glad I have a Sun Sport and not a Performance Cruiser . . . steady progress though.

Why did you 'pop' the plywood cover off the tank?

Just temporary, used my 18V skill saw and cut down the side wall then dropped it down and went to work. Was also good for the Pic :)

Have already started to wish I had an SS my self. Have noticed the foam around the tank is dry. Only wet I found prior was below the tank. The foam which was wet around the tank was separated from the tank foam. Appears the tank is sitting in a fiber glass tank which was glassed in on the bottom to the hull. The glass tank appears to be complete but only comes half way up the sides. If this holds true then the water found under the tank was just that, under it.

tpenfield

Staff member
On my boat (tank), it was about the bottom 2-3" of foam that was moist. So this ended up being about 12-15" of contact surface with the tank and that was the area of pits. Towards the front of the fuel bay, the foam was dry throughout.

I am still trying to visualize what you described regarding the fiberglass (liner) versus the tank versus the foam.

alldodge

Staff member
The bottom pic in post 91 you can see a thin edge (pink) doing along besides the foam. In this pic see the pink in front of the tank, this is what I mean but what appears to be a glass tank or pan. There was water under the tank but inside and behind the fiber glass there was none.

fetch

tpenfield

Staff member
OK, I think I see it now . . . I originally thought that was tabbing left behind from the bulkhead removal. What you are saying is that appears to be a fiberglass liner.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, it appears to be that, will be doing more checking but it's not made the same as what was on the other side or the wood

alldodge

Staff member
Talk about running into issues, time to decide which way to go. Looks like the fuel tank foam is soaked. Pealed away what I thought was a fiber glass pan and it's not, and the foam is wet. Only way to get the tank out is to remove the engine room bulk head between the engine room and aft cabin. Still don't know if that is doable or not due to the size of the tank. Does anyone know if there is any way of drying the foam out?

Photo454.jpg

See some corrosion and some paint came off with the foam
Photo455.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.