1959 lonestar transon replacement help !

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Since the transom isn't very tall (12") in your LS I would strongly suggest using the best plywood you can find for the most strength possible. What I do is go to the local lumber yard and order the marine ply and it ships with their next order so I don't pay for shipping or have to drive forever to get it.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well i can try that not really a local lumber yard here it closed about 5 years ago it was a very great place could get anything there, i only have 84 and lowes here, Do you think there is that much difference in the strength ?

Watermann

I believe you should be good if you can find some good exterior grade AC ply that isn't full of large voids, you may have to cherry pick the unit. Laminate the C sides together to cancel out any warp the ply may have. You shouldn't even consider the hardwood stuff, it won't hold up being interior furniture grade.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ac or bc exterior grade will be just fine. Always fill the voids and always seal the wood.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK all will try to find some wood that will work, Started removing the SH** the PO put on the seams and rivets got alot of wire brushing ahead of me...

Attachments

• PIC_0011.JPG
    PIC_0011.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PIC_0012.JPG
    PIC_0012.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2
  • PIC_0014.JPG
    PIC_0014.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
OK all will try to find some wood that will work, Started removing the SH** the PO put on the seams and rivets got alot of wire brushing ahead of me...

I bet that a good power washer with a semi concentrated tip would take off a lot of the sealant from the PO.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes i was going to try that to, it's getting cold here in WV but i will keep plugging away till spring............. Have a great Turkey Day All !!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes i was going to try that to, it's getting cold here in WV but i will keep plugging away till spring............. Have a great Turkey Day All !!!

Hey, where in WV? I don't know where I thought Mon___ River might have been, but I'm on the Monogahela in Fairmont, WV.

Put a pin in the Iboats map :)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK all got some decent wood for the transom, going to glue together with tite bond 3, then cut down to size, is there any prep i should do to the wood before gluing?
And if i put screws in it to hold it together do i leave them in there? of course i would use ss screws? any thoughts out there on the best way do do this?

Tnstratofam

Commander
If you look at my transom repair thread you'll see I used clamps and 2x4's. I've also seen people use screws, but I think they always remove them when they're done. As far as prep goes a clean and dry surface is all you need I'm pretty sure. I have seen people stack weight on top of the wood as well.

Watermann

As narrow as the LS transom is you should be able to just clamp it down well enough if you have enough clamps that is.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok got some decent b/c plywood from lowes, glued it and cut it now coating it , too cold her here for 5200 too, thanks for the transom measurements luke...

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
ok got some decent b/c plywood from lowes, glued it and cut it now coating it , too cold her here for 5200 too, thanks for the transom measurements luke...

No problem! I hope it turns out good. Post some pictures of it when you are done with it. What are you coating it with?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am using spar urethane , i fig about 5 coats should be good light sand between coats..

Tnstratofam

Commander
Three coats per side doing the edges each time for a total of six coats in the edges all the way around. That's how I've seen most do spar varnish, and epoxy. That's how I did mine, and after 7 months it still looks just finished. I do keep my SS in the garage or well covered when I'm not using her. That extends the life of any boat dramatically. Just my 1 and 1/2 cents. Keep up the good work. I'm really liking these Lone Stars.

Tnstratofam

Commander
When I saw that first picture for a second I thought " He's building his transom out of 5 gallon buckets?" The transom wood looks good. No voids that I can see from the pics.