1959 lonestar transon replacement help !

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry guys got called to work for a few hours yesterday didnt have time to post pics will try to tonight. And yes she is home...... Now What???
Luke000 do you have a rough measurement of your transom like i said this one is gone. Also think might be original motor in it has push buttons to change gears.. I really dont want to mess with big old motor, what do you all think is the smallest motor i can put on her? And remember i just want to make a good river boat out of her thats the only place i go .... thus why i picked the name MONRIVERGUY....LOL

Thanks to all

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldn't focus on how small an outboard you can but on it, I'd pick a range of motors and start looking for any that fit that range. Generally speaking, a good target is at least 75% of max hp.

In a river, at some point, every trip out, you'll be headed against the current, so I'd never choose the smallest possible motor. The LoneStar brochure page I posted shows the 18ft El Dorado is rated for a 25-80hp OB. 75% is a 60hp.

I'd try to find a 60-75hp 3cylinder Johnson/Evinrude. I don't think they made that motor in an 80hp, if they did, I'd include it in the search. The 3cyl is a great motor, has a great power to weight ratio and they made LOTS of them. Parts support for them is also excellent.

While rebuilding the boat, keep looking for a motor. Until you're nearly done w/ the boat, you can afford to be very picky. By having a range of motors that'll work, IMO, you are much more likely to find 1.

Good luck w/ the OB hunt! Looking forward to the pix.

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Sorry guys got called to work for a few hours yesterday didnt have time to post pics will try to tonight. And yes she is home...... Now What???
Luke000 do you have a rough measurement of your transom like i said this one is gone. Also think might be original motor in it has push buttons to change gears.. I really dont want to mess with big old motor, what do you all think is the smallest motor i can put on her? And remember i just want to make a good river boat out of her thats the only place i go .... thus why i picked the name MONRIVERGUY....LOL

Thanks to all

First thing I did was strip everything out of the boat and give the hull a full inspection for corroded rivets, then I filled the boat up with a few inches of water in my driveway to find any kind of leaks in the hull. I agree with getting at least a 60hp motor. I am currently on the lookout for a 70HP Evinrude or Johnson with power trim, I missed out on a perfect one a few weeks ago and not I am just taking my time in searching.

I am going to finish up cutting my transom this wheek and when I do, I will make a blueprint of the final product so you can make one from scratch :thumb:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well had to work till 5 tonight getting dark here early but i did get the junk out t0ingint trying to get you all pics found another problem, now i am get more determent to make this girl float
]

Luke000

Here are two drawing of the transom I just made. The locations of all the holes are definitely specific to the boat you have. I would get the transom made and cut to the dimension and then mock it up in the boat to find the location of all the holes. If your boat at one time did have a splash well, there will be two 1 inch diameter holes for a drain.

This is mine all cut and drilled (except for motor mounts)

And here are some drawings I made of it, the first is the dimensions of the board and the second is approximate location and size of the holes.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks Luke nice drawing you sent me, OK here is the problem i did not make a close enough look at the boat i made a real but head mistake, The transom support was cut off in two, here is the question, can it be fixed? or should i just take the old girl to the scrape yard?? :( (

Attachments

• photo211620.jpg
    photo211620.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

here are some more pic of the old girl...

Attachments

• photo211622.jpg
    photo211622.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo211623.jpg
    photo211623.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well after you decide to scrap it I'll come pick her up! lol. Just detach that bracket and take it to a local "Machine Shop". or welder or radiator repair guy. They will make that back to new for not much. Cool boat! There will always be times when {Like we all do} what did I get into this for?
Keep on keeping on. Like the boat....even though its made from Campbell soup cans. Only kidding.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Meh run of the mill broken knee brace is all. No biggie there. She looks great, now go get yourself a photobucket account and post up some more pix.. we need some bow on shots now, enough of her hind end! :heh:

fetch

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well i was thinking it could be welded to, i was thinking bolting a brace on it after welding too, is that a good idea? yea i kniw last two nights the girl has kept me up thinking bout her. :)

Luke000

Sweet boat! That knee brace should not be much of an issue. Its one of those things where I would TIG weld the old one or judging by the old and the cuts it would probably be better to make a new one, still would not be that big of an issue.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well glad you all got my back out there on this i will try to remove rest of brace this weekend, guess i am going to start in the rear of this girl and make my way up front.....: also the motor i got is a 100 hp evnrude 1967 electro shift. motor is all there but i dont want it going to try and trade with a few bucks for a smaller one,

Watermann

well i was thinking it could be welded to, i was thinking bolting a brace on it after welding too, is that a good idea? yea i kniw last two nights the girl has kept me up thinking bout her. :)

Bolting on some AL to help take the stress sounds good but there's always a trade off, new holes to give stress cracks a place for a foot hold on heated up AL from the welding.

The ole gal does have a very nice bum, I can see why she's keeping you up nights :lol:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK going to try to make a template for the transom, Not seeing how it fastens on the bottom can you post a few more pics please Luke? Is the bottom in a channel or something as i dont see one on my boat, And what do you all think is the best way to patch the holes in the back, like where the old motor was bolted etc??

Thanks all

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Man, I love that boat. It's so unique. Good luck with the Tinny!!!

Luke000

OK going to try to make a template for the transom, Not seeing how it fastens on the bottom can you post a few more pics please Luke? Is the bottom in a channel or something as i dont see one on my boat, And what do you all think is the best way to patch the holes in the back, like where the old motor was bolted etc??

Thanks all

There are 6 fasteners for the knee, 2X 1/4 bolts for each side brace and the 5/8 screw eye and 5 for the top channel/splash well. Nothing is on the bottom except the knee brace. I personally would either use just some stainless screws to hide them or fill them in with aluminum brazing rod. The motor mount holes I would not fuss with because there is a good chance they will match up with whatever motor you will put on there.

Last edited:

Luke000

Ignore my doodles on the picture (they are for how many rivets need to be drilled) but it shows the pieces that hold in the transom except for the bolts that go through the upper channel (they were removed with the splash well)

Watermann

The holes should be 1/2" for the motor, I'm not sure just filling them would be a good idea. If the new motor you choose has a different bolt pattern and is not the BIA standard then you have a couple options. You can make up a motor pad like most of the starcrafts have to begin with and cover the old holes with it. I would make the pad out of some 080 AL if you choose to go that route. With the new transom installed, back butter the pad with 5200, fill the holes too and clamp it in place until cured. You could also paint the pad the same color or leave it bare AL.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well i stared to tear in to her today thanks for the pics luck i now see what i have to do, still looking for a good way to fill all the holes, any body got any more ideas??