1959 lonestar transon replacement help !

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all out there in the iboats world and thanks for all the help in the past on here, i have been using my 1962 lonestar Malibu and the 1963 18 hp evnrude all summer long thanks to all the help and knowledge you all have given me on here. So now i have a chance to buy a 18 ft 1959 Eldorado lonestar the problen is that the po took out the transom to replace it but passed away and never got it finished, my question is how hard is it to replace, any info out there on this i can find. I can get the boat motor trailer for about five hundred dollars, the rest of the boat is in pretty good condition with most of the original equipment. what do you all think??

Thanks in advance to all.

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Hello to all out there in the iboats world and thanks for all the help in the past on here, i have been using my 1962 lonestar Malibu and the 1963 18 hp evnrude all summer long thanks to all the help and knowledge you all have given me on here. So now i have a chance to buy a 18 ft 1959 Eldorado lonestar the problen is that the po took out the transom to replace it but passed away and never got it finished, my question is how hard is it to replace, any info out there on this i can find. I can get the boat motor trailer for about five hundred dollars, the rest of the boat is in pretty good condition with most of the original equipment. what do you all think??

Thanks in advance to all.

Jbcurt00, linked you to my thread, and I am doing the transom in mine right now, I was kinda weary about doing it at first but quickly realized that it is not that bad of a job, less than 30 rivets. Depending on the condition of the package, I think $500 is fair. I paid $800 for mine with no motor, they are really cool boats! Feel free to contact me if you end up getting the boat, I would be happy to help in any way possible. Is the old transom with the boat or long gone?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is gone sorry to say and i would love your help on this, i have worked on many things but never boat rivets,what tool do you use to replace them with? I will be calling the guy tonight to make my offer for the boat, i also love the way these boats look.

and thanks again for all your help.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
one more thing i did not see the splash well on the boat but it might be under stuff piled in the boat, how hard would it be to get one made or find one online ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
You won't find a splashwell online

Many had an outboard pod hanging off the back, so there wasn't really a splashwell anyway:
f3d0cc3455ca665a3cc88ca5120b542e.jpg

This pix is an artists rendering, but it doesn't appear to have either the pod ^^^ or a splashwell:
Lonestarb59010.jpg

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought i saw one in the pictures on the Eldorado project link ? do i need to put a pod on it?

Luke000

Well if you look at the artist rendering showing the available options, "C" is the splash well. Mine did come with one and I think without a pod, its a good idea. The piece looks fairly easy to make with the right tools (TIG welder, sheer and a brake) It is one of those things that I could make in an evening. Mine has some cracks that I am going to weld up. Here are some pictures I just took:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes i saw that as a option , was thinking same thing be nice to have one. My 62 LS has one on it. Well i am going to call and make offer on the boat tonight hope i get it cause it really looks cool and i love the old boats... Wish me luck...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My 61' LoneStar "Flamingo" fiberglass boat has that Exact splashwell on it.

100_3463.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice 2 El Dorado's going at the same time would be cool! :thumb:

We had 3 or 4 Chief's going full resto all at once in the Starcraft section.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it looks like we will have two El Dorado going on at same time, made offer last night the po took it going to pick the boat up this Sunday will post pics for all to see. Cant wait to get her home and start on it..

Thanks again for all the help on here.

Luke000

SWEET!! I cant wait to see the boat! I am sure this will turn out a good one when you are done.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like us lonestar guys are taking over, Ill be watching your progress, good luck

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats. Post pix when you get it home. From the road at pickup would be ok too though ;)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK Guys tomorrow at 9 am i am picking up the boat have to bring it back 20 miles or so, it has been sitting for 20 yrs in a dry garage, any thing i should watch for?
I know this is going to be a project and my tummy is turning a bit when i think of it...:)

jbcurt00

Staff member
good wheel bearings and dry rotted tires. Once they start to roll, they may develop cracks that weren't there when viewed IN the barn before being moved.

Trailer lights, wring, a good hitch coupler and safety chains.

Luke000

Like JB said wheel bearings and tires. If it is the original trailer like mine has, the boat might rock back and forth on the bunks so bring a strap to go around the boat. Also check the winch, mine was blown out (busted ratchet tooth) Also make sure the tilt lever is all the way in, its on the port side below the windshield. The wheels on the trailer are stock 4 on 4 lug, 5.7x8.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So how was the trip? Is she home now in the driveway and you can't take your eyes off of her? :rolleyes: