Lone Star Medallion II 1966, Oh Scrap!

64osby

Admiral
Last week I picked up an old "tin" boat. You can see that here - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...ing-pan-swings

Here she is after making it home.
IMAG05001.jpg

Fiberglassics happen to have some info on this boat. The first year for this model and the last year the Lone Star name was used.

Lonestara66008.jpg

Being a Tinny and a card carrying member of the Starmada I'm not real fond of poured in foam and fiberglass. It just so happens that this boat has both of those. Chrysler engineers called it Armor-Hull.
Lonestara66018.jpg

Between the new design and a PO redo a better name would be Armor-HELL.

Today I had some free time and decided to see how bad of shape she is really in.

Local launch is one mile away and a mile past that is a gravel pit. Drove to the pit to find the boat and trailer weighed in at 1,380 lbs.

Off to the launch for her maiden voyage. Well not quite a voyage.

IMAG05041.jpg

IMAG05061.jpg

This left me with the trailer. Don't think it's a Lone Star or Chrysler, Kind of Gator-ish but don't really know.

IMAG05081.jpg

Rated capacity of 3,500# stamped on the tongue. At least when it was new.

Back to the scale they ran a slip for the SOS. Trailer weighed in at 520#.

So the boat tips the scale at 860lbs. My new tinny needs to go on a diet according to the LS literature. It had 2 fold down seats, a 20 gallon tank a 15# anchor, 70's controls and a set of oars on board.

She is 160 pounds heavy. Maybe only 140 if you take off the anchor, control and oars.

Me thinks she may be retaining water.

Used the tilt feature to load up the boat and stay dry. Love that.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Oh scrap, 64. The pics didn't make the trip. Do you think she is salvageable? Or do you have a nice trailer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmmm no pix attached.......

140lbs +/- ~ 18gals of water........... I guess it could've been worse w/ 2-300lbs of water weight.....

Now I'm interested to see the trailer too.....

64osby

Admiral
After parking it out in the yard a was looking at the transom and noticed water dripping. Poked at a hole in the skin the PO had "sealed"

IMAG05171.jpg

The water ran out in a steady stream. This hole is 3" above the bottom of the transom but is below the drain hole. It is behind the "V" on the outboard support bracket.
IMAG04741.jpg

The drain hole is at sole (floor) level. There is no bilge pit in the boat.

There may be a little leaking going on. This boat sat in a garage for 4 years according to the PO.

Decided it was time to poke around the floor to see what's going on.

Using my finger, a pocket knife and a lug wrench that came with the boat, 30 minutes later.

IMAG05211.jpg

Didn't think resin was supposed to pull up this easy. Was able to pop the plywood up too.

Went to the transom and started looking closer.

IMAG05371.jpg

Originally thought this seam was welded but it looks like the rivets have been coated with _________________

Decided to pull the splash well out. 14 rivets and 27 screws, bend two tabs and the cover flange

IMAG05261.jpg IMAG05321.jpg

More tomorrow.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man that's not good when the pics don't show up and it looks like you spent some time on the first post too.

Looking forward to seeing the tear down on this one.

pckeen

Commander
Nothing a little welding, or a few rivets, or a couple of gallons of 5200 can't fix. I'm envious. We had snow yesterday, which is putting the dampers on the boat rebuilding business.

64osby

Admiral
Edit remove pics here. Think they made it to the 1st post.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
And any gas in the tank?

Empty 20 gal tank that came with the boat, not the original tank.

140lbs +/- ~ 18gals of water........... I guess it could've been worse w/ 2-300lbs of water weight.....

jbc - I'm picturing 18 gallons of milk just sitting on the deck. There is not that much foam in this thing.

Looking forward to seeing the tear down on this one.

H20 - that might be all we see on this. :eek:

Nothing a little welding, or a few rivets, or a couple of gallons of 5200 can't fix. I'm envious. We had snow yesterday, which is putting the dampers on the boat rebuilding business.

pck - No heated work space here, at least not yet. Don't think Gluvit likes curing below freezing:confused:

dozerII

Admiral
That boat has real nice lines 64. I think she may have a few surprises for you in the tear down from what you have already shown us.

64osby

Admiral
That boat has real nice lines 64. I think she may have a few surprises for you in the tear down from what you have already shown us.

Is there something your not telling me?

Once the splash well was out did a little more inspection.

The top of the transom wood and face have resin, but not the upper portions. Stops at the corner

IMAG05271.jpg

Pulled the splash out to get a better look at how the floor / hull / transom are put together.

Don't know if this is epoxy or polyester, but parts of it are flaking off the hull. Maybe not a good long term build feature?

IMAG05361.jpg

Transom on left side. Transom tab flange upper center. Sticky goop in cornerIMAG05341.jpg?t=1413893382.jpeg

Used a wonder bar to separate the floor / transom. The resin on the floor peeled up the first layer of plywood. The ply seems like a mix of dry rot and water damage. The underside of the ply is glued to the foam, (green / grey stuff)

IMAG05391.jpg

Pulled off the glue to find something crazy. There is a layer of particle board under the ply.:eek: Looks like 1/4" and would make good flower bed mulch.

IMAG05401.jpg

Was able to pop out the corner of foam. You can see the step up where the particle board was. The 3/4" thicker part was under the transom wood.

IMAG05411.jpg

So this is Armor-Hell.:livid:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think this PO induced Amour-Hell. Particle board?????????????

64osby

Admiral
Pretty much figured it was going to be nasty with the soft floor.

Not sure if the particle mulch is from a PO or factory engineer.

I can picture an engineer thinking - particle board sandwiched between resin coated wood and water "impervious" foam will never degrade!" At least not on paper.:facepalm:

If it is a PO design it is PPO. The PO I bought it off of has had it for 4 years. Sat in a garage the whole time. He never touched it. The bill of sale we wrote up was written on the back of the BoS from when he bought it. The guy is in his thirty's and has 6 kids.

He commented that it seemed I knew a lot about boats :lol::sleeping: and asked for some advise about what type of boat he should get.

I told him he should buy a pontoon with all those kids.;)

My proof that the PO I picked it up from is not guilty

IMAG04701.jpg

IMAG05021.jpg

That masking tape has to be at least 5 years old.

Attachments

• IMAG04701.jpg
    IMAG04701.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4

jbcurt00

Staff member
I hate trying to remove old masking tape from a few weeks or months if exposed to sun & heat cycles in a garage, 5yrs later, ouch.......

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those medallions was pretty boats, I think they made those all the way until Chrysler bought them out

64osby

Admiral
I hate trying to remove old masking tape from a few weeks or months if exposed to sun & heat cycles in a garage, 5yrs later, ouch.......

It will be a long way down on the to do list.

Those medallions was pretty boats, I think they made those all the way until Chrysler bought them out

From what I've seen the Medallion II and the Medallion look similar, but under the sole is much different. I also think the sliding glass on the Medallion is very cool. This has fold down glass.

Last edited: