Anyone restoring Lone Star 1955 Admiral 14? Need Help and Info.

dap123

Cadet
I am restoring a 1955 Lone Star Admiral. Are there clubs or organizations that I might benefit from? I am looking for a few parts. Windshield or how to get an after market. Also the Lone Star Logo SS on side of boat. Thanks for any help. Derek

dap123

Cadet
Thanks for the response. I did find a site, upd plastics. Not sure how complete a system they have as you will need an aluminum frame. I need two SS or chrome Lone Star emblems for the sides. The only info I can find is a brochure from fiberglassics and the pix quality is not good enough to tell much about it. I thought I might get my graphics designer to draw dxf files and water jet cut out of 1/8 steel and then weld bolts on the back and have them chromed. Not sure also about what the original colors were. Any help would be appreciated. I did look t at the url. Not sure I want to attempt the windshield myself, but may have to resort to that. Thanks again, Derek

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Welcome! I am working on a 1959 Lone Star El Dorado right now so I have done some research already on some of the questions you had.
Decal/emblem: They are kinda hard to come by and they are expensive when you do (for OE) I was lucky enough to where my just need to be cleaned up and a new chrome coat applied, but my backup plan was to get these on ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Lone-St..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3392b945dc&vxp=mtr
New windshield: I have come down to 3 options for my boat and they are (in no specific order) UPD plastics, a local plastic factory, or make them myself. Because of the shape of yours I would also check out Taylor Made, they have some in a similar style to your OE one and come with everything including the frame (UPD does not as far as I know) We used the Taylor Made one on my last project-
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-1956-duratech-s-13r-project-pop-can-splashed
OE Color: I dont know about that year, but I know one year it was a mint green top and hull with a white side. IMHO I think that boat would look AWESOME all polished up! It is cheaper than a good paint job too if you have a buffer.
Other resources: I don't know of many, certainly NONE can compete with Iboats- hands down the best I have found. But there is a yahoo group for Lone*Star boats, I tried to join and have been denied twice for inactivity on part of the mod's. Fiberglassics is a good bank of resources too.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a great project, if you need any help don't be a stranger!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I get yahoo updates from the LoneStar group, but it's fairly inactive and might take a few weeks to get even 1 reply if you post a question. Lately it has had quite a bit of traffic, but 90% of that has been people offering their boats or project boats for sale, very little work being shown or questions about how to accomplish a given task....

For 85-90% of what you need, you'll find iboats will be the most helpful, notice it didn't take even 5min for WOG to reply to your post.

Welcome to iboats. There should be another LoneStar rehab Topic started soon. 64osby just bought a project LS, and his & Luke's are both tin too, although larger boats then your Admiral.

There's a little info over @fiberglassics:
Lonestarbb001.jpg

Lonestarb55002.jpg

dap123

Cadet
Thanks so much. I did find that on the brochure it states Seagull White and Newport Green. It looks to me that there is a swoosh and a star on the port and starboard fronts. What do you guys think? Is that just embellishment or original? Thanks for the info on the windshield. I did talk to my local powder coat company and they will water blast the boat to clean and power coat the paint. Anyone done the powder coat method?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've got an Original Lonestar Factory emblem that I've been contemplating Making a mold from and then attempting to make a mold and then cast some resin replicas from it. Wasn't sure of the demand but now that I see there are two iBoat members needing them I think I'll take it on as a winter project and see what I come up with!! I'll keep you posted. Both of you guys send me a PM with your personal Contact info and if I have luck with the castings I'll send you some complementary samples.;)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Somewhere around here is an aluminum boat that got powder coated, but I wouldn't and isn't it expensive?

Blasted and painted will be a great finish and should be a great deal less expensive.

64osby

Admiral
Great looking boat. I saw one about 2 years ago for sale.

From the 56' literature.
Lonestarb57009.jpg

dap123

Cadet
Wow. Looks like in the 1955 brochure, the boat had air chamber floatation and left side back cockpit steering. In this 56 brochure they upgraded to floatation with kapok and moved the steering to the center of the rear cockpit. The new paint now says '"Dover White". Now do you guys think that the star and swoosh on the fronts are the original graphics too? Thanks for all the info. D

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the Malibu I allways thought I had a 1957 but looking above maybe mine is a 55 also, you will have a head turner when you get her finished

dap123

Cadet
I just got back from the power coat guy. He said you can't powder coat with the wood transom in place. I will powder coat the trailer but now am thinking about two part epoxy for the boat. From the holes in the back for the white light, the original was on the stern port along with the steering on the port side back cockpit. I'm wondering about the new regs which place the white light on the starboard stern? I guess I would just have to argue my case and see what happens. Also I see that the 55 model looks to have an aluminum frame and two part wind sheild while the 56 has a 1 piece curved.. Does that appear that way to you guys as well?