1990 Sea Nymph 175 Fish & Ski Resteration

sgilbert14

Seaman Apprentice
New to the forum but far from a new boater. I have an emotional project that I will be taking on over the next several months. I am the new owner of my father's boat. I lost my father 2 months ago and am will be storing the boat for the winter. While she sleeps I will be building a list of the materials that I need. The boat has sat for a 10 years but the engine did turn over. Good start. The boat, needs a boat doctor. I will need to replace the back to back seat, new floor, the side bolsters need to be recovered and the plywood replaced, the dash has cracks in the plaster which I know that I can fix with plastic fix, I will also rewire it and install a new breaker panel to get those old glass fuses out of there, paint and cleaners and the list goes on... Why do this,, for several years this was my fathers' and I times together and I need to fix this boat. What I am looking for is some ideas of products and materials that I should start pricing and planning out. I have restored motorcycles and a car but never a boat but I have a few months to study and get ready....:encouragement:

jbcurt00

Staff member
And scroll to the bottom of the main forum homepage to the list of manufacturers. The Starcraft forum is a huge resource for any tin boat builder

You'll find lots of info about rebuilding a tin boat

Welcome to iboats

sgilbert14

Seaman Apprentice
€‹Brought the boat home today and pulled out the power washer and found that I have a TON of work to do. What I am thinking about is changing the seating by pulling the live boxes inside the boat by building two boxes each of which would hold a livewell and a quality captain seat. The driver's side would hold a smaller bait well and possibly a built in tackle box. I would keep the bow as is but the change would open the back of the boat for salmon fishing and the shift in the weight would help with the balance of the boat. Now all I need to do is find a local place to get marine plywood...... at least I have a few months to plan.

64osby

Admiral
I was at Menard's today and they have marine ply (Michigan), they also have Aruaco ACX which also has water proof glue and it's about half the cost.

We also really love pictures.

sgilbert14

Seaman Apprentice
Posted a video of my boat as I could not get the video to load. The link to the You Tube is below. The pic with my shoe was trying to show the floor sinking with a little pressure.

1989 Sea Nymph SS175 Spring rebuild project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Veu5uI3ZA

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Great - have you had the chance to read through some of the tin boat restoration threads yet - that will give you a great idea of what you are looking at. Look at some of the threads by dozerII. By the way - the video for your boat has the privacy settings on, so we cannot view it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The great thing about restoring your boat is that you can rebuild her any way you want. Take a look at my SeaNymph resto and you'll see I changed around a bunch of stuff and added to the deck layout as well.

Yeah your video isn't working, says it's private.

Watermann

The video link posted just sends me to my uploads, you need to click on Share below the vid, copy the link and then using the advanced A above to add video, it will embed in the post.

Watermann

I did a search for your video number and found it. Nice looking SN you have there, very worthy of being restored :thumb:

Last edited:

sgilbert14

Seaman Apprentice
Well, beside the epic cold that we are having it is time to start planning the rebuild. New job will allow me to do it right now and so far my plans are:

- I am going to rebuild the interior to be a more dedicate fishing platform. Leaning welding this fall is going to let me build a aluminum sub frames for new front and back casting platforms.
- Going to replace the old seats with new buckets. New carpet and some of the electronics.
- Haven't made up my mind on have the 1990 motor gone through or look at an upgrade a newer engine. Time will tell on this as the above projects will take me some time.

Any ideas as to approaches or ideas will get a big thank you as this is my first major boat rebuild

thanks

Watermann

Check out some of the other restorations in the forum. My SN is all deck with just a recess midship to be seated when underway. Otherwise the entire boat is for nothing but fishing. Livewells and compartments with hatches.