rebuilding bench seat.

vanvranken

Seaman
rebuilding bench seat for the back of my boat.should I use epoxy resin or poly resin to seal the wood?

zool

Captain
I would use epoxy to seal it, poly alone is kinda brittle, and tends to crack, breaking the seal....poly and csm mat seals well tho..but depends on the finish you want.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I'd just use a good treated wood for the seats and plan on replacing the wood about the time you redo the seat upholstery. That's pretty much what original would have been in most boats. Should last as long as the upholstery if you don't trap water in the padding.

Check cost of materials to seal the wood vs cost to replace, and then figure that since the seat will flex under load of people you'd probably crack the sealing materal anyway and end up rotting faster from trapping the water in the wood.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What kind of boat? Aluminum/Tin or fiberglass?

I'm guessing the fiberglass boat you're looking for parts and pieces for: boat interior

W/out knowing it's not an aluminum boat, I wouldn't recommend pressure treated plywood. In fact, I'd rather use exterior ply and seal it w/ epoxy over PT either way.

vanvranken

Seaman
No Title

this was coverd in carpet.witch was probably hold it together.upolsterd seats on hinges on top.wont let me upload pic of seat before ripped it apart???

Attachments

• photo210637.jpg
    photo210637.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210638.jpg
    photo210638.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210639.jpg
    photo210639.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210640.jpg
    photo210640.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
Treated wood can leach copper if wet enough. Ext. grade would do the trick.

Resins work, so does spar varnish,

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I doubt it. Softwood plywood, especially fir, checks over time. Even epoxy requires some fabric to prevent this.

The cheapest reliable way I know to seal plywood is to use polyester resin + at least 4oz cloth.

Dimensional lumber or hardwood plywood (like meranti or okume) you could use a thin layer of epoxy.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I doubt it. Softwood plywood, especially fir, checks over time. Even epoxy requires some fabric to prevent this.

The cheapest reliable way I know to seal plywood is to use polyester resin + at least 4oz cloth.

Dimensional lumber or hardwood plywood (like meranti or okume) you could use a thin layer of epoxy.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I believe you're referring to your seat base build. You already have a thread started about it and I'm not sure why you felt it was necessary to start this one. It makes things confusing to the members having multiple threads on the same topic. Other members have addressed this question on your other thread with the appropriate answers IMHO. It's your boat and you can use what ever you want. The tried and true methods have already been stated on your other thread. :confused:

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I believe you're referring to your seat base build. You already have a thread started about it and I'm not sure why you felt it was necessary to start this one. It makes things confusing to the members having multiple threads on the same topic. Other members have addressed this question on your other thread with the appropriate answers IMHO. It's your boat and you can use what ever you want. The tried and true methods have already been stated on your other thread. :confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

vanvranken

Seaman
I am sorry for the mistake.yes for the seat base.it is going to be coverd back up in carpet.

vanvranken

Seaman
I am sorry for the mistake.yes for the seat base.it is going to be coverd back up in carpet.

vanvranken

Seaman