warped hull repair

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The Basalt looks interesting .... Might be worth trying ...
They used to use horse hair in plaster . maybe find a horse that needs a hair cut .. :rolleyes: :D

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah the basalt would be a lot cheaper and the Aqua Resin says "proprietary surface sizing" and their resin is water based so it might not be compatable.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're getting WAY to technical!!! You do it by volume NOT by weight. You DON'T pack it in you Pull it apart, cut it up put it in a 1/2 cup container and pack it in just a bit with your fingers and call it got. This is NOT precision work or Brain Surgery. If it's good an Hairy (and it will be) then it's good to go!!! If it looks like it needs more then Add a bit more. You should be able to cut up enuf fibers for 30sq ft of PB in 15 mins. I think that's worth the effort. But Hey I'm a C.O.B. and a Old Dumb Okie to Boot!!!:lol:

apolite1016

Cadet
Ok, Today i just choped up abouth 8 quarts worth of the stuff I had quite a bit of scraps bagged up from when i did the inside of the boat im not sure if its going to be enough or not but im glad i held on to it.
I'm hoping to get started on this in the next few days im waiting on resin to show up, I orderd 5 gallons iso phalic laminating resin plus 4 gallons of cabosil should be here some time this week.
I have the area all sanded with 26 grit down to clean glass i dont think im going to drill 1/2" holes probably going to take a dremle tool with a narow rasp and just cut small dashed slots about 1/16"deep angled into the existing laminate, just enough to get a kinda keyed in effect. ill probably do that tomorrow.

apolite1016

Cadet
so, the weather got cold on me and I decided to wait till this year to start again. so here is where im at. I decided to go with a PB build up , i mixed it so thick that i t was like trying to spread wet CSM but i managed to spread it and build it up over about 7 layers then i covered it with 3 layers of CSM, my question now is should i continue with more CSM, sand it then air it out or should i go with cloth, then fair it out?

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0

apolite1016

Cadet
Filler was Cabosil and CSM Fibers mixed with ISO vinyl ester resin, the build up was left to cure 1 full day between layersand over a week before i layed the mat over top, im just at a point now that im not sure weather i need to use cloth or mat for my final layers before i fair it out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm no pro but with as much filling was done a layer of cloth may be a good idea .. What cloth do you have ?
btw , the build up looks great !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nice job on the repair. Yup, I'd recommend a finish layer of 3oz fabric over the entire surface. Lay it out and smooth out the wrinkles then pour the resin on and roll it out smooth. It will disappear before your eyes!!!

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just happened upon your problem regarding the "hook" Had this same problem many many years ago only with an old molded plywood boat. I was able to correct the hook by fastening a piece of 2x4 across the gunnel of the boat then I used a "car jack" placed between the piece of wood and the floor where the hook was jacked the jack up until the hook disappeared, imbedded stringers in "pb' where the problem was never had any more problems.

apolite1016

Cadet
No Title

Just finished another layer of Mat cloth that makes about 4 layers over the thickest fill areas.
Iim leaning towards no cloth mabe just a skim with some chopped strand filler and cabosil just to take out the roughness of the mat, then sand and fair what do you think?
Eeither way i wont get back to working on it till this weekend so post your thoughts and i will weigh my options.
Id have to order cloth and a bit more resin if its going to be a necessity.

Attachments

• photo221646.jpg
    photo221646.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221647.jpg
    photo221647.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221648.jpg
    photo221648.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221649.jpg
    photo221649.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0

apolite1016

Cadet
I have just about 1 gallon of resin left so i may have enough for 1 layer of 4 oz cloth its about 4 yards worth of coverage, if im right i should have plenty. since thats probably enough to do about 15 yards of 4 oz cloth.

Is it really necessary?