Transom rebuild plywood?

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious what type of machine you use? Desktop, Laptop, Ipad, Phone? I don't know if it makes a difference or not.[/QUOTE
Mostly on lab top but phone is a lil harder to post pics.Ive had the pic on phone and sent them to photobucket still had troulbe ill try it again on lab top.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
when i click on the paper clip i get the htt:// and then every time i try to paste the IMG link from photobucket it says a era or some thing like that.I also tried to upload it from my desk top and it take forever then a era pops up again.Iam on dsl but i also have tried through cel phone on 4g with same luck.
I can post a pic on bassboastcentral with no problem using photobucket.
I was just trying to post a pic of the chris craft because people like to see the project's.LOL

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you copy the IMG Code in PB, simply paste it in your message. No links needed, just copy and paste the PB IMG Code.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
DUH duh.That was it GA Thanks so simple sometimes.
I guess there to many buttons and it confusing some times.lol
Any way Iam thinking about cutting out a few inches of top cap and get full sheets to slide inside stern.I was gone just piece it in but sense I have everything removed I might as well do it right.
I guess need to figure a way to refiner glass top cap back in from inside above so fiberglass will stay up.
Maybe thin sheet of wood or cardboard and tap it up to hold fiberglass up till dry.
Iam not worried about looks because my stern deck cover's it all and it's a boat I only use to trawl and bring kids crabbing at dams down here.Use 3-6 times a year.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There ya go, Phil. She looks like a real work boat. You can add as many as 6 pics to a post if you wanted to.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the help guy.
Yes it's a old boat and it sit's where it is round in the weather and I've had her for 10 plus years.
the stringers looks good so not bad for 32 years on transom.
I guess chris craft built them good back then.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update,so i got transom all removed and grinded down also cut and removed part of top cap so i can pass new plywood down.
I purchase a 400.00 boat with a 4.3L to replace my 470,motor run but need to rebuild carburator from trash in it.
Question, what's the best way to make and line up box's (fiberglass in boxes)for motor mount's that i will have to add for convertion?

Last edited:

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class

So i got everything finish grinded and exterior fir cut and glued together,also scard wood with a razor knife just so some of resin soak's in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You need to fill all those voids with PB prior to laying your glass or they'll cause lot's of problems. Make sure there's no voids in the edges too. It's easier if you round over ;)the edges too! This might help explain things a bit...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms I'm curious about what your plan is for clamping the outer perimeter of the transom?

Last edited:

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't reel have any voids, I sanded it down some to check for high spots. I will use leg bolts clamps.i have a bunch of holes in transom already from deck brackets and etc.. Did a couple test fits and predrilled holes, should be a problem with the clamping and fit.I may have a 1/4" gap in a few spots but not bad.I have a tight fit in most places.i can do carpenter work and have all the tool.lol. I've done a few transom on bass boats but never heard of the PB before.I did see a powder agent that u add to resin, where I bought my fiberglass supplies from.Is the the same thing? Also I have always use Matt and resin to sandwich the 2 plywood together and scared wood.This time I did the glue and screws with tight bond water proffered glue. Thanks for the info.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't reel have any voids, I sanded it down some to check for high spots. I will use leg bolts clamps.i have a bunch of holes in transom already from deck brackets and etc.. Did a couple test fits and predrilled holes, should be a problem with the clamping and fit.I may have a 1/4" gap in a few spots but not bad.I have a tight fit in most places.i can do carpenter work and have all the tool.lol. I've done a few transom on bass boats but never heard of the PB before.I did see a powder agent that u add to resin, where I bought my fiberglass supplies from.Is the the same thing? Also I have always use Matt and resin to sandwich the 2 plywood together and scared wood.This time I did the glue and screws with tight bond water proffered glue. Thanks for the info.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't reel have any voids, I sanded it down some to check for high spots. I will use leg bolts clamps.i have a bunch of holes in transom already from deck brackets and etc.. Did a couple test fits and preu amofdrilled holes, should be a problem with the clamping and fit.I may have a 1/4" gap in a few spots but not bad.I have a tight fit in most places.i can do carpenter work and have all the tool.lol. I've done a few transom on bass boats but never heard of the PB before.I did see a powder agent that u add to resin, where I bought my fiberglass supplies from.Is the the same thing? Also I have always use Matt and resin to sandwich the 2 plywood together and scared wood.This time I did the glue and screws with tight bond water proffered glue. Thanks for the info.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Damm u got a good eye,lol.I sanded it down and saw that the where deeper than i thought so i will work on it more.I routed the top edge of wood,should i do all inside and outside cornner's?
The caposil,is it a powder? And i guest u still use the same resin and harder mixture? Ive never used it before.
It sounds like it's kind of like bondo which iam reel use to dealing with.