Not sure if my fuel tank needs replacing? Some fumes, no leaks.

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy.......the boat is a '93 Aquasport Osprey with a poly tank. For the year that I've owned it, when I pop any hatch or plate that accesses below deck, there is initially a mild gas smell. Once aired out the smell greatly diminishes. I always check for raw gas in the bilge, but the bilge is always dry because the boat is on a trailer. I keep the tank full.

It may be that the poly is slowly permeable over time, and eventually there is a detectable odor, and no big deal. But could it also mean the tank is getting ready to fall apart, split, leak, etc?

Any experiences out there along these lines, and what was the conclusion/outcome? Should I replace or wait?

Thanks in advance......

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi btravlin2. I have no direct experience with poly gas tanks, but while investigating poly as a possibility for my tank replacement, I did read that poly permeates gas and the tank area should be vented.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a '94 with a poly tank, no vent and no smell. Make sure the gas fill vent line is not restricted and that the fittings are all ok. If those are ok pressure test it. It doesn't take more than a drop of gas to make an enclosed area small and just a little more to make an explosion.