Only owned the boat 2 hours...

Hey! I'm a first time boat owner (as will become painfully evident soon) and I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 1966 silverline belair. It's in really good condition, and the motor started right up and ran great. I left the house I bought it from and I believe I may have gone a click or two too tight while winching it onto the trailer (first time pulling it, I was a little paranoid and didn't want it to move on the trailer at all). As I was pulling it home, I believe I hit a bump in the road, and as the winch was over tightened I popped off the bow eye off the front of my boat. I didn't do any damage to the fiberglass or the hull, but rather the bow eye snapped in half. There's about 1/4 inch of the screw still sticking out of the hull and the bow eye is dangling from the winch. I've looked at how to fix it here on iboat, but I realllllyyyy don't feel comfortable cutting an access port in the fiberglass. I was just curious how much you would estimate the repair to be at a proffesionally boat place, as well as if It's even a good idea to tow it without it connected to the winch. I really think I messed up and I'm sure kicking myself. I was looking forward to taking her out on a maiden voyage tommorrow :( any help is appriciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
How big is the boat? Lots of ways to strap a boat to a trailer, other than the bow eye. Don't worry about it, strap the boat to the trailer, go boating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the bow eye is simply just a glorified eye bolt or u-bolt bolted thru the fiberglass. not sure how your boat is, however both my last boats had a bow anchor locker with easy access to the bow eye. boat prior to that had access thru the bow seating (although easier to get to when I uncapped it)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is the bow completely closed in ? Some pics would be good . Theoretically you should be able to knock it back through to the inside and replace . You need to be able to get to the inside somehow ..

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yep ^^^ what what Saginaw said. Must have had some crevice corrosion or some other issue. Not your fault!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!
Sorry for your misfortune.!!!

We can/will help you get this fixed fairly easily. Use photobucket to upload some pics, then copy and paste the IMG Code into your iBoats post. Soon as we can see the pics we'll be able to guide you to the easiest and best solution. Get a couple of nylon tie down straps an use one across the stern to strap the boat to the trailer and then the other to run across the bow. Your boat won't be going anywhere. Have you done a "Flex Test" on the transom to ensure it's good and solid before you put her in the water? Raise the motor up to about 30 degrees then bounce HARD on the lower leg and see if the transom (The back part of the boat where the motor is attached) has any flex in it. If it moves any at all, even a 1/4" that's BAD!!! You will need to do a lot more investigation on the structural integrity of the boat. She's almost 50 years old so you'll probably have some restorative work ahead of you. We'll be here to help you when you need us.;)