Starcraft jupiter Rebuild

amcjeep

Cadet
I have the opportunity to pick up this boat for what I think is a pretty good price. (scrap value should be higher)

They say it is 16 feet. Has a 60hp evinrude and also an 8hp Mercury Trolling motor. Comes as you see it. I think it may be a starcraft nassau or starcraft jupiter.

This would be my first boat. I have been sort of browsing for a simple aluminium boat, with a small tiller motor hanging off the back. In order to access some local ponds, lakes and rivers with my kids to go fishing when I came across this. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a fun project. It has obviously been sitting for sometime.

9B17E4A9-D9FB-4C4D-82F2-61D9E23807DF_zpsl4fqx5si.jpg

95CBEB97-7C88-4270-9F69-F13C597BE920_zpsy89j9uqu.jpg

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
It strikes your fancy, the price is right so do it. It is a Starcraft but I couldn't tell you which model it is. As you can tell by this forum they are sturdy boats and quite popular among these members.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, I'd say it's a keeper. What's the asking price? Are both motors "Runners"? When's the last time it's been on the water? Does the boat have a deck or is it open? It's got a tilt trailer and IMHO that's a big PLUS!!! I wouldn't pull her to far before getting the axle bearings packed!!!:eek:

amcjeep

Cadet
Yup, I'd say it's a keeper. What's the asking price? Are both motors "Runners"? When's the last time it's been on the water? Does the boat have a deck or is it open? It's got a tilt trailer and IMHO that's a big PLUS!!! I wouldn't pull her to far before getting the axle bearings packed!!!:eek:

I have not seen it in person yet, listing says $300, owner already told me $250. Motors were running, but I don't really know the last time they actually did. The registration sticker on the boat is 1993.

As far as packing the wheel bearings, from the picture, I am sure they are pretty well packed with mud. I think it will be fine to tow the 45 minutes home if I decide on getting it. (but really I will just throw the entire thing on my car trailer.

Why is a tilt trailer a plus? Like I said I am new to boats. I have worked on a few motors for people, but never actually owned one my self or dealt with trailering them to often.

Ned L

Commander
Looks like the last time it saw use was in 1993, but that's not a probem for the boat. The engine may be a different story. If the price is right and you can assume it is a non-running engine you can't go very far wrong. As WOG said, give some attention to the wheel bearings (and tires by the looks of things) before you go more than a couple of blocks. I would also sight along the bottom to see if possibly things have bent from lots of rain water collecting inside over the years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it has a proper title for the boat and trailer, get it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you can buy that rig for $250 you should be on it like a June Bug on a Light Bulb!!!!:eek: Tilt Trailers are Great for Bank launching when you don't have a ramp. Beach the boat, back the trailer, tilt it, hook up the boat crank it on. Done!!!

Same thing for launching...

Last edited:

amcjeep

Cadet
Thanks everyone for helping me spend my money. I was sort of hoping people would say it is not worth it. Maybe I will take a ride out there and have a look at it in person

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks everyone for helping me spend my money. I was sort of hoping people would say it is not worth it. Maybe I will take a ride out there and have a look at it in person

The guy wants too much for her. Best to pass on her, Jeep. Sorry. :blue: So where in CT is she? :rolleyes:

Forgive our manners, :welcome: aboard, amcjeep.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AMCJeep, if you post its location here, someone will call them and buy it over the phone sight-unseen

For $250, also buy a lottery ticket on your way home

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Wood, were you hiddin in the woods while I was retrieving?? Actually I'd back in just a little farther. Roller would be under water once it tilted.
But that sure looks like the launch at the end of my road!

Tnstratofam

Commander
That looks like a great project, and you will be steeling it for that price running motors or not.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Wood, were you hiddin in the woods while I was retrieving?? Actually I'd back in just a little farther. Roller would be under water once it tilted.
But that sure looks like the launch at the end of my road!

LOL!!! Nope Just sumpin I found on YouTube!!!

amcjeep

Cadet
I have not yet. BUT i did go look at it during my lunch today (don't tell my boss I took a long lunch). I am still going back and forth in my head. It would be a fun project. The hull itself does not appear in bad shape, I did not notice and dings or cracks on it. Any thing wood is beyond shot. But in reality I know I won't really have to much time to start on this project currently. I do have a friends barn I could store it in

E18FEE44-364A-4925-AAAC-E7B48A363C67_zps2viwhhb7.jpg

63C8DD9C-7778-4FD2-96A0-CA4ACBBECEDC_zps4emjwlhn.jpg

439357F4-9FB9-4E9B-BB84-AA91B67BDB77_zps88zheah5.jpg

96E81268-6FEB-4AA9-B02F-CFB0A5191D44_zps7syay2mo.jpg

691535B2-9580-4918-AECD-2ACE462D08B9_zps6p1sdmgg.jpg

I would not be opposed to passing along the contact info.

The data plate does say 16' Jupiter I could not make out the rest on it, as they way its currently parked I could not get that close.

Everyone here says buy it (including my wife)

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Listen to your wife. That is a great deal on a good first boat restore. There are plenty of people here with the know how to help you make her sea worthy again. Look through some of the Starcraft restos in the Starcraft mfg forum. You'll get some great ideas on what a little hard work can produce with old tin boats.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Listen to your wife. Seldom does the Admiral tell the swabbie to grab a boat with trash and a jungle inside. She sees the possibilities! And only 250 bucks! :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Or.....ignore your wife and tell us where to buy this boat.