88 Bayliner Trophy 1710 - wet foam and ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey, I'm just trying to make you healthier...:laugh::lol::peace::bounce::rockon:

Laughter Therapy: What Happens When We Laugh?

We change physiologically when we laugh. We stretch muscles throughout our face and body, our pulse and blood pressure go up, and we breathe faster, sending more oxygen to our tissues.
People who believe in the benefits of laughter say it can be like a mild workout -- and may offer some of the same advantages as a workout.
"The effects of laughter and exercise are very similar," says Wilson. "Combining laughter and movement, like waving your arms, is a great way to boost your heart rate."
One pioneer in laughter research, William Fry, claimed it took ten minutes on a rowing machine for his heart rate to reach the level it would after just one minute of hearty laughter.
And laughter appears to burn calories, too. Maciej Buchowski, a researcher from Vanderbilt University, conducted a small study in which he measured the amount of calories expended in laughing. It turned out that 10-15 minutes of laughter burned 50 calories.
While the results are intriguing, don't be too hasty in ditching that treadmill. One piece of chocolate has about 50 calories; at the rate of 50 calories per hour, losing one pound would require about 12 hours of concentrated laughter!

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great job on the helm! I've never been much of a fisherman, but when I see a nice center console it gets me thinking bout the possibilities for my next project boat.

Keep up the good work!

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys :)

Woodonglass, the steering wheel is on now -- no visegrips needed. However, the lack of motor might affect fishability somewhat. :D

Last night I installed the flange that seals the seam at the motorwell, siliconed the rubrail, installed the two 12v batteries for the 24v system, and put the wheel on. Oh, and I finished gelcoating the transom. It's not the greatest finish I've ever seen, but much better than what was there.

Tonight I have to drive to Tillsonburg (my back still aches when I hear that word {Canadian joke} ) so not much happening, and tomorrow I'm playing cricket (yes, all day) so on Sunday the FrankenChrysler goes on.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Good news... motor is on. Bad news.. trim/tilt motor is dead :( New one on order, will arrive early next week. I have the tilt/trim motor removed, and the valve body off, waiting to do the transplant.

My waterbox is holding water or over a week now, so I'll call that a success.

Went to install the seats and realised that many of the screw retainers came out with the screws when I removed. So I have used a 1-1/8" spade bit to drill out the holes, with a view to filling with PB and then inserting new screw holders. The fir plywood of the floor is rather wet, but not rotten. Not happy about that, but it will have to do for a couple years. This is glassed to the bottom of the tub and is suspended over the foam compartments. For now I'm hoping that a full day of hot sun will dry it out sufficiently for my PB to bond.

I still have a ton of little things to do, and I'm tackling the wiring little by little.

alldodge

Staff member
So I have used a 1-1/8" spade bit to drill out the holes, with a view to filling with PB and then inserting new screw holders.

I would suggest Marine Tex, epoxy has a much stronger bond the poly

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
And the FrankenChrysler fires up first try after a long cold winter outside! Love me a Chrysler.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
SPLASHED!!

q-FTl_ZtrLjHmdJpK2Od8sSIXvH4kFJz5DyFCHjLwiQ=w1258-h943-no

cFM-VzdIW7LOwnd7xio99aqm7JDPvpIt5sf9adXoWKE=w708-h943-no

znZRnrC2wyyvQYOrByYDd6VRi6szB-_DiRsPJBSmJzQ=w1258-h943-no

Mark72233

Ensign
Congrats on the SPLASH!!! Arawak. She is looking good and a perfect time to be on a boat, Happy 4th everyone

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys! Primary objective achieved... she comes up on plane easily now, and I have about 4 mph more than before.

Of course, she's not *done*. The wiring is super messy, needs to be tidied up. The ugly prototype trolling motor mount needs to be replaced with the final one, and most important, the fuel gauge is not working and I have to fix.

Now that I have a tach, my suspicions that the motor is not revving out enough are confirmed. I'm getting 35mph @ 3200 rpm at WOT. I think it has a racing prop on it, need to try a lower pitch.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
For those who are wondering about costs, the major stuff I bought for this project was

5 gallons of epoxy resin
1 gallon of epoxy hardener
105 yards of 12oz double bias fiberglass tape 8" wide
3 yards of 12oz double bias fiberglass cloth 50" wide
1 gallon wood flour

I had several yards of 50" 1208 from a previous project, of which I used a couple yards on the transom. If I didn't have that I'd likely have bought some more 12oz 45/45 and some 90/90.

The foam was also from a previous project, so that did not figure in my costs.

I think I used 3 sheets of 1/2" exterior plywood and a couple sheets of 3/8" exterior plywood. I go to the lumber yards and look for good quality sheets with lots of plies and few voids. Not adverse to picking through the stack to select good sheets... there's often a section with several good sheets.

There's still maybe a quart of resin and the appropriate hardener left. The fiberglass tape is all gone... was about 2 yards short in the end, but I used some leftover 1208.

For those considering epoxy but worrying about the cost, consider that you will (or should) use a lot less resin and cloth than you will with polyester/vinylester. From experience, I'd say that I would have used at least twice as much polyester to fill up all the CSM I would have needed.

I took about 750lbs out of the boat (wet foam, tabbing, and old wood) and put back about 200lbs of wood, epoxy, and fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.