Got a new to me boat!! Not 100% sure what it is?? Need some help please.

Tnstratofam

Commander
If it were me I would stick with a stern drive like Scott said. Either a merc or volvo. A jet drive is an option only if the hull design allows for the proper installation.ost of the jet drives I've seen have a chanel built into the bottom of the hull to assist in water flow thrugh the drive. That doesn't meen you can't put one on yours. Just something to check on. It's a shame people don't take better care of their boats, but then again there wouldn't be any $400 boats if they did.

Wildman4x4

Cadet
I know next to nothing about jet drives myself. The one thing I do know is that they like lots of HP!!!

As I work on the floor I'll have to really think about what it is that I want to do. I like a fast boat and also enjoy having one that will pull tube & ski's but at the same time I ain't young anymore so noisy isn't something I want either. I've spent too many years around big guns that go BOOM so my ears like a little more mellow exhaust now. Plus I want tunes when I'm having fun and loud exhaust makes it hard to hear the stereo.

New style engine or old school? That will be a fun one to decide. I can see a SBC with a Merc drive pushing me around but could also see a LS 6.0 sitting in there. This just leaves the options open.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can not pull skiers or tubers too well behind the old-school jet boat. the whole rooster tail to the face thing kind of sucks, not to mention its hard to regulate the power to get a skier up. you can para sail behind one.

you can get a new turn-key volvo or mercruiser with the LS motor. they have the L96, LS3 and LSA

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/MarineEnginesControllers/ProductPortfolio.aspx

however the type of motor and drive is only dependent on your pocket book. Heck for $70k you can go with a Mercury Racing 1650 crate motor (more if you want the whole package with electronics, turbos, drive, etc.)

I myself would build up a 383 or 396 stroker with an alpha drive with hardened gears and a custom foot.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Cool old sleek muscle boat you got there! The idea of a blank slate to make the boat into what you want is super cool. Heck you could even go crazy with dual outboards!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is one super sexy hull you have there! I will be subscribing and following along to enjoy the show!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow! Your boat looks like it's doing 90 mph just sitting on the trailer! I'd like to tag along for the ride. :)

Wildman4x4

Cadet
Thanks for all the complements on the boat. I have always liked these old style boats so when I saw this one For Sale I had to buy it. Now since there is other issues or more issues wrong with it I need to step back and come up with a game plan.

Yes if I had a bottomless pocketbook I could do just about anything I wanted to this thing. But I am a disabled veteran on a fixed budget so my bottomless pocketbook barley makes it past payday. I was in Iraq in 04 and was wounded and then was medically retired in 06. I had 10 days shy of 28 years federal service. I had been playing soldier for a long time. I wish I could just pick up the phone and call some place and order a new engine and outdrive without even blinking. Heck I have a hard enough time ordering a pizza because I'm low on funds. ;-)
I really think I've got to figure out if I am going to replace the outdrive or not??? I know in a perfect world yes I should but if my OMC is in good shape and as long as I don't go crazy stupid with the power department it should hold up for a few years. Now looking at the bellhousing? (is that what it is called?) it has extra bolt holes and ears for maybe a different engine? I've been told it could allow me to bolt a Chevy small block in place of the Ford engine. If that is the case why not pick up a 5.7 TPI, stroke it to 383 and slap it in there? Or am I just asking for to much?

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm not sure how easy converting from a Ford to a Chevy is with a stringer drive. I have an OMC cobra drive on our Stratos, and parts for it are getting hard to find. I think the best way to procede is to go over to tge OMC inboard forum and ask the experts about how hard that conversion might be. They may be able to help you figure out the condition of the drive. Even though your engine isn't running. As exciting a rebuild as this will be, you should have your power figured out before getting more into it. That's just my opinion though. By the way thank you for your service!

Wildman4x4

Cadet
tnstratofam,
I agree with you that I need to figure out what I am going to do with the boat before I proceed too much more. I hate to do work twice and if I get work done and then change my mind midstream I then could end up doing tons of rework.
Yes what engine the OMC stringer will accept needs to be figured out and how much HP it can handle. I'm headed over to the OMC area to ask some questions.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sometimes the best option is to find a donor boat with a serviceable drivetrain. If you go that route look for a GM setup as they are easier to find parts for. Also even though my OMC cobra is good, and strong I would probably look for a Mercruiser. More support for those in the market. Volvo would be okay, but I'm not as familiar with them so I don't know which units to look for.

Last edited: