transon repair advice

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My boat is an 88' Ebbtide. I was having problems last year with it taking on water, I believed it was because the transom was going bad due to the water leak and a hollow sound when tapping on it.
I finally pulled the motor this weekend. Apparently my water leak was a combination of a leaking y pipe and the transom shield seal was bad.
So I drilled some holes to see if I had any other issues.
What I found after drilling about 8 holes that the wood was dry in 6 holes.
Two holes closest to the drain were somewhat moist. I put the wood shavings in a plastic bag to see how much condensed on the bag.
The cause of the hollow sound when tapping on it is due to the fiberglass has lost adhesion with the wood. In the picture you can see the area that I am concerned with.
What is the best way to get it repaired?
I am guessing I will have to somehow inject resin in there somehow. But I am not sure how yet.
BTW, this isnt my transom. I borrowed the picture.
Thanks for any help

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Looks not too bad.

I suspect it was more of a seal issue then a transom issue.

I would let it dry and based on my experience with using epoxy ..... I would open that separation with wooden wedges (Slightly) and inject some epoxy into the crack then remove the wedges and clamp for about 24-36 hours and leave it untouched. That will re-adhere that surface and the critical points will be held together when the outdrive is bolted on again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ditto on this ^^^ Amazon sells the Glue syringes...
41rXuHM3dmL._SY300_.jpg

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having just made a new one - I'd have to say that transom doesn't look bad at all.

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

I've been known to use compressed air to try and force glue into gaps as far as possible but it takes some finesse - wouldn't want to blow epoxy all over the place at 120PSI! It makes me CRAZY when I see goo put around the gimbal housing!

Idlespeedonly

I spoke with a tech at West Sytems, he said their G-Flex would be ideal for this. After mixing it will be 8 ounces, way more than enough for this.
I didnt go with the MAS epoxy since it was way more than I would need for this job.
I will probably use whatever is left over to seal the raw wood edge.
I am planing on using a catheter syringe to do the deed.
It is free.