1987 Avanti fish and ski,with 87 Suzuki DT115

Jshad1

Cadet
I'm attempting to restore this boat . I had no idea what I was getting into, but was told from p/o that it only needed seats and carb work. Lol what a crock. Transom is mush, engine only needed oil injection cleaned, which I did myself. I love this style of boat bc it brings back good memories, and I want to give those same memories to my kids. Any advice, pics, or vids along the way would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

if the transom is mush, the stringers are mush

I suggest that you start reading the how-to threads in the stickies located at the top of the forums.

I looked at your photobucket pics. looks exactly like my 1984 Avanti re-build. the blue carpet takes me back.

Jshad1

Cadet
Ok thanks . I got the cap off and the floor was replaced recently, and I have not lifted it yet.

Jshad1

Cadet
Update.. Stringers are mush too.. Thank God the boat held together when getting engine to work the past few months. The p/o put a layer of plywood on top of old deck lol then covered it back with old carpet .. This will be a long winter :(.

Jshad1

Cadet
Could someone tell me if 1.5 inch core is thick enough for my transom? It was too deteriorated to measure. Also can I use epoxy for rear area and then use poly for the finishing, or covering of transom. Epoxy is too high for me to do the whole boat with.

JC612000

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1982 Avanti 175FS I'm currently restoring. My transom is 1.5 inch. Nice to see another Tennessee Avanti on here. I can't answer the epoxy vs. poly question. I'm still in demolition mode and trying to get my Evinrude running.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depends on how you plan to 'finish' the rear area and exactly what you are asking if it's ok to use epoxy 1st on.

If you want to glue the 2 pieces of 3/4" ply together w/ epoxy then use poly for everything else, yes you can. BUT you need to be diligent and not get epoxy on either of the exposed faces of the finished 1.5" laminated transom or any of the edges.

If you want to glue the transom together, cover the transom w/ epoxy to waterproof it, bed it to the fiberglass transom skin, then tab it to the hull, ALL with epoxy and then PAINT the exposed epoxy, then YES you can. BUT where the stringers intersect the transom will need to also be done w/ epoxy, rather then poly. The rest of the stringer, bedding the stringers and tabbing them to the hull may be done w/ poly. But again you will need to be diligent to make sure you do the stringers 1st w/ poly then attach them to the transom w/ epoxy and tabbing.

Epoxy will adhere to polyester resin and gelcoat.

Gelcoat and poly resin WON'T adhere to epoxy, or at least not well and not without significant prep.

Any epoxy coated repairs will need to be covered or painted, it isn't UV stable.

rather then risk any problems w/ the adhesion between poly and epoxy, I'd use poly resin for everything.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Poly is more then sufficient to do it all. Epoxy will stick to poly but poly will not stick to epoxy. If you decide to use epoxy on the transom and poly on the stringers you'll have to tab the strings to the transom with epoxy. Nice work so far

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why not just do it all with poly? I did and had great results. If you are using poly you need all the proper PPE anyway. Just my .02, but my advise is probably worth even less than that. :)

Jshad1

Cadet
Thanks Jc. I wasn't sure about the core thickness . Found the marine ply in Memphis , and wanted to be sure.
Tangle boater , I wanted epox in this area because I read it was a better barrier than poly, and I found the rear to be where all my water problems were.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's understandable, so you are talking where you are going to bond the transom wood to the transom shell? I am not an expert but I do believe if you properly soak your wood with poly and make sure your through hulls (bilge drain, transducer) are properly sealed you will be just fine with a PB made from poly for your glue.

Many peoples rebuilds have done it.

Have you spent much time going through everyones builds here on the forum? If not I would spend a few hours doing so. Wealth of knowledge here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Follow WOG's descriptions for doing the transom, stringers & deck
Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Except to wet out the raw plywood just before wetting it out a 2nd time and applying fiberglass, you should never use poly resin alone w/out fiberglass cloth or mat.

The initial wet out isn't so much to seal the wood or to allow additional penetration into the plywood, IMO, it's to ensure that the raw (dry, low moisture content) plywood doesn't wick resin away from the cloth or mat and starve the layup of resin. That would weaken the bond and integrity of the layup.

Jshad1

Cadet
Thank you all for your responses . Ill be starting in a couple weeks . Pictures to come.
Until then merry Christmas, and happy NewYear!