1991 StarCraft Islander 221v - with 4.3 v6 i/o conversion to bracket and total resto

Tnstratofam

Commander
I second what Wog said. We all find rot and wet foam at the bottom of our rebuilds so we try to figure out ways to prevent it from happening again. When in reality if we do a slightly better job at encapsulating everything than the factory did, and we do a better job than previous owners of taking care of our boats, they will last a lifetime. Most of our boats ended up the way they did due to poor maintenance, and them being left uncovered with water in them for extended periods of time. A good cover or dry storage would have prevented most of the water damage we find in old boats. You're gonna build it better than factory, and that should work out fine.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, completely agree w/ WOG & TN, pour in foam isn't really the problem, poor maintenance and neglect, usually over a long period of time, YEARS not days.

Getting caught in an occasional rain shower while away from a covered dock or having wet swimmers climb aboard shouldn't doom the foam to becoming waterlogged, esp for a trailered boat. Keep it well covered w/ ventelation, w/ the drain plug out and the bow tilted up, your kids & their kids should be enjoying this boat for a long time after you're gone.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JB, WG &TN - Thanks for your comments. I hear you about the closed cell foam. When I removed the foam, water was pooled in between the foam with on where to go. I want to do it in such a way where a flat surface will ride on top of the ribs. The foam will go top of that which will permit the water to drain properly. StarCraft did a poor job for water drainage. My 1968 Holiday at least had water passages at the bottom where the rib meet the floor. I forgot the name of those passages.
This one has no such passages. Water gets trapped between the ribs on the floor. I'll post pictures later.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I see you're back at the tear down, looking good! :thumb:

The Islander doesn't need pour in foam for "structure" of the boat. Besides of course flotation about all pour in foam adds is some support for the decking which foam boards do if installed on edge.

Check out these guides and it would be way better for your pics if you used photobucket to post them up, there's instructions on how to do that too in the link.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Experimenting with a 41"x16.5"x 3/4 of polyisocyanurate that I expoxied on all sides. Put it in my pool to see how much it could float. 15lbs.
Also experimenting with Photobucket.

Last edited:

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has a live well under the passenger's box seat. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. All sides of the box are made of aluminum with wooden tops. Will probably replace with expanded PVC.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
floatation is floatation, pretty much anything that will make your boat swamp but not got to the bottom, most of the boat mfg's don't use the pour in foam because its the best, its just the best for them man hours and cost. way to keep a open mind about the process ill sure be watching and hope I learn something new. wish I lived closer Id love to buy the seat boxes from you

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My sons: "In Canada I used to help my dad shovel snow, in South Florida you help your dad shovel foam."

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Great Progress!! I LIKE your Foam experiment. I've even heard of people filling their boats with Ping Pong Balls!!!!:D:eek:

Watermann

Nice work! and that big nasty hunk of wood is out now. :thumb:

See that white on the wood, the corresponding areas of AL will have corrosion to deal with. You may want to remove the Z bracket too just to be sure it's clean behind it.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woodonglass - I like the ping pong balls idea. Let me go play table tennis tonight and ponder on that further.

Watermann

I forgot to ask out of curiosity what was the reason the transom has that slot cut out of it on the port side of the keyhole?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Waterman - It's for the intake for the live well. Btw, this boat does not have a Z bracket.

Watermann

Waterman - It's for the intake for the live well. Btw, this boat does not have a Z bracket.

So I looked back at a inside transom pic you had. I don't know what to say other than one of the PO's of that boat was unstable and maybe even dangerous. That huge slot was for that through the hull so he could slide the transom over it. The motor mounts have been hacked into and there should be wood inside them. Was the transom just resting on the bottom of the boat with no Z channel?

fetch

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Waterman - Engine mounts were resting on the fat aluminum stringers that are filled with wood. The holes on each side of the fat stringers were made for the exhausts. Earlier you referred to z bracket and now you mentioned z channel. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are you taking about the stringers?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rick - You're right. It came out after working all day in the hot sun. So tired but also so happy.