1991 StarCraft Islander 221v - with 4.3 v6 i/o conversion to bracket and total resto

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last March, I bought a 1986 Sylvan 22' Offshore with a 3.0 OMC and a Cobra outdrive. I've been using the boat for fishing and I like it. I was planning on removing the engine and outdrive and putting a bracket with a two stroke engine either Suzuki dt 140 or a Suzuki dt 225. I have been following WeldZilla's conversion and I was very inspired. I know that if I were to start this project, I wouldn't have a boat for a year because I know that I'm going to want to replace the transom, the floor etc.
Today, I found a 1991 Starcraft Islander 221v with non-starting engine 4.3 Mercruiser and outdrive (not identified yet) project on a good trailer for $1000.00. We don't get these very often in Florida. I bought it. So now I have the best of both world, a great project and a working boat to go fishing when I'm sick of working on the project.
Like in my first project, , a 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18v OB, that is now resting in Canada, I want to stay away from wood floor. Last time I did Plascore with aluminum backing for floor and Plascore with door skin for the sides. For flotation I built these boxes out of sheet of foam that I filled with 2 liter bottles and foam for glue. the box of foam was wrapped in duck tape that I epoxied to seal. Looking to make this boat light and fast. I'll try to document as much as possible with photos but I really not that good with the computer and Iboat forum format.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'm going to try to attach some photos. The photos don't tell the true, sad condition.

Attachments

• photo209199.jpg
    photo209199.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2014-09-20 - Backview1.JPG
    2014-09-20 - Backview1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo209200.jpg
    photo209200.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo209201.jpg
    photo209201.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo209202.jpg
    photo209202.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3

Tnstratofam

Commander
That sounds like a good idea. Having a running boat while you restore the other will keep you from cutting corners on the islander. By the way if you get tired of rehabbing the islander I would gladly take her off your hands. Good luck and keep us posted.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tnsstratofam Not a good start. My first day and the buzzers are already circling😂.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Ha! Buzzards indeed. hes' just puttin first dibs on a fine boat!

Welcome - and thats pretty nice to have a working boat and a project. Don't know how that would work for me however. Hmmm, work on boat, or go fishin???

Yup, I'm going fishin!

Work on boat would probably only happen during winter. All 2 - 3 days of it. Now if I had a warm shop and 6 months of cold and miserable - I could make some progress.

Glad to see another Starmada member - and looking forward to watching it progress, as I would like a big Islander or Chieftain myself in the future.

Blaine

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That's one heck of a deal you got on that newer-style islander! :thumb:

How is the transom looking?

I can't say that I've heard of anyone using those materials for a deck; this should be interesting. Do you have any pics from the holiday restoration?

The foam-box idea is interesting as well; keeps the pour-in foam off of our beloved tin.:D What's the motivation for not simply using closed-cell foam sheets?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm making a little progress. Will upload photos later on. I removed the teak bracket. Will sand, epoxy and varnish. Will re-install on the Sylvan Offshore or sell on Craigslist. I took out the out drive. Got it for sale on Craigslist. I put an add on Craigslist about someone removing engine and hauling it out of boat. We're supposed to do it tomorrow. $100.00.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BlueFin16 - Look it up on my thread - just google - 1968 Starcraft Holiday v - OB - 97% completed and you should ld be able to see the floor.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah she's a little rough but no where near the sad condition of my Chief when I drug her home. Hopefully you don't have salt corrosion to deal with. Never been much a fan of IO to OB conversion boats mainly due to the horrible hack jobs some CL guys have done on them. Do you plan on cutting down the transom or making a "sea drive" platform off the back end?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Waterman - I'm buying a bracket with flotation and bolting to new transom. I'm going to see if I can make it a 2" transom vs the 1 1/2" that Inthink it has. Transom will be made out of Marine plywood.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Waterman - I'm buying a bracket with flotation and bolting to new transom. I'm going to see if I can make it a 2" transom vs the 1 1/2" that Inthink it has. Transom will be made out of Marine plywood.

I like the OB being outside idea the best, cuts out the need for a splashwell. You'll still need to come up with some knee braces which if designed correctly would eliminate the need for a thicker transom which would still have the same forces applied to it in an OB application no matter how thick.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Hello everybody - I have a little of progress to report. I worked on disconnecting and unbolting the engine. Made a few call to marine mechanics who advertise on craigslist and found one willing to pull it out for $100.00 with fork lift. Drove my boat there and engine was removed in 20 minutes. Drove the boat back home and picked up my small trailer. I picked up a free crate and drove back to marine mechanic. He loaded engine on the crate in my trailer. We secured it with straps. I gave him $20.00 tip and went home. I listed engine on craigslist for $600.00. Today I removed the power steering actuator, put it on craigslist for $120 and removed to top two bolts 3/8 (12 pts) of the y pipe with a closed end wrench that had the 12 points. When I pulled to get it out and it didn't moved I found the other 2 bolts buried. I will need the 12 points sockets that I ordered online a few days ago. I also cleaned up the area where engine used to sit. I got tired of steeping on that grease puddle. This is my first time removing an i/o engine from a boat. Once the Y is removed, can I just unbolt the gimbal housing bolts and remove the gimball from the back. I welcome advices, specially from those who have performed similar job before.
Classiccat - I hope you did not confuse my poor little thread with Commander Azlo who also has a 1968 Starcraft Holifay.
Waterman - I'm giving it some thoughts. Weldzilla did not have to add knees on his Sylvan 22" Offshore i/o conversion to bracket but he didn't put a 225 either. Going away for a few days.

Attachments

• photo209762.jpg
    photo209762.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo209763.jpg
    photo209763.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2

Tnstratofam

Commander
:pop2:Moving right along I see. That motor, and out drive combo should sell quick enough. Funds for the rebuild from unneeded parts are always a plus.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

More progress - My 12 point socket kit arrived 2 days after I ordered it. Love Amazon. Removed the exhaust Removed the gimball plate and the gimball with bellows and arms. Came right out after I removed the 8 bolts from the inside. Removed Hydraulic trim pump.

Attachments

• photo210033.jpg
    photo210033.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 12
  • photo210034.jpg
    photo210034.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo210035.jpg
    photo210035.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210036.jpg
    photo210036.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210037.jpg
    photo210037.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Removed bolts and screws holding transom. Those rails screws are a bit*ch. Removed transom cap. All good.

Attachments

• photo210038.jpg
    photo210038.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of taking out the foam. I'm using a small narrow shovel. Works great. I'm also staring to think about what to do next. The foam provided buoyancy and structural reinforcement, i.e. Floor. The foam in it self is not bad. Lightweight, durable and strong. The only problem is that when exposed to water it absorbed it.
I'm thinking of making a container where the foam will reside but will be protected from the water. How about building it with epoxied door skin filled it with foam?

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo210684.jpg
    photo210684.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo210685.jpg
    photo210685.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo210686.jpg
    photo210686.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo210687.jpg
    photo210687.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Rich, this forum is filled with discussions on how to build your boat in such a way to keep the foam from not absorbing water, or draining it once the foam is installed etc, etc... You're free to do as you see fit. My take on the subject is this. The reason you're doing what you're doing is because the boat was neglected and not properly cared for and maintained. If it had been, you would be "On the Water" and the foam would be dry, the deck, stringers and transom would ALL be as thery were when they were installed and all would be good with the boat. When you get her restored, IF you do all the right things with care and maintenance then you don't need to take any extraordinary measures with the foam since it IS closed cell and Non water absorbing and only will absorb water if it's immersed for a LONG time.

Again, Your Boat...Your Decision!!!;) I'm just an Old Dumb Okie with an Opinion about Everything!!!