20' SeaCraft resto

brushhippie

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a 1973 model SeaCraft Seafari cuddy...it has been sitting for 5 years that I know of...so I am sorting out the many problems that stand between me and boat ridin! SO first heres a pic..

this is the pic the guy I bought it from put up on cl...

nasty and moldy...first some cleaning..a little bleach water and much much better

much better...alot of oxidation but I think the original gelcoat will actually polish out!...heres a shot of inside

enough of the cleaning...so I grabbed a battery from the shop just to see if shed fire off....absolutely not!...bummer...no fuel no fire and the starter is draggin BAD....crappo

brushhippie

Seaman Apprentice
So first rebuild the battery cables...then pull the starter apart...it is pretty crudded up on the inside so a bath in the parts cleaner and a little polishing of the armature and brushes also found that the bushings on both ends are just wasted...well the back one wasnt too bad so I just lubed it good....leaving the front, took a trip to carquest and no bushings or anything that resembled one so back to the shop I go...my uncle is a mechanical genius (need something make it) and he was telling me how he had made a bushing for something on the lathe so I thought what the heck....took a look and theres still a good sized piece of the nylon still on the lathe...sooo I turned one down and by golly it worked like a charm...and yes I think Im pretty slick! lol Only took a couple of hours to put the starter back on....coil next I suppose...still trying to get the outdrive to lower as it seems to have a stuck valve....figure Ill go ahead and drop the lower unit since its stuck up...kinda wanted to drain it fist but....tbc

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Cool looking Boat!! Before you get too wrapped up on engine repair have you done any looksee in regards to the structural conditions?
-Check stringers, bulkheads for rot
-Look for soft spots on the floor, first indications bulkheads and stringers will need repaired
-Do transom drillings to check for rot.
I would put my time and $$ to that first. That will dictate where to continue next.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go join up at classic seacraft for more information. you have one of the best hulls ever made well worth the money to restore right.

brushhippie

Seaman Apprentice
I did sign up over there...had a couple of people respond...then nothin...I like interaction with folks and I guess they are too busy...anyhow.. The hull is solid.....the stringers are wood free deck and transom very solid...(I have been jumping up and down on the outdrive trying to free it)...Ive been fixin and sellin old boats fer awhile I got a good one here....the motor and outdrive Ill pull apart and go through this winter, Ive got an invoice from the local Thief...(boat mechanic) where he did compression and serviced everything and winterized it...so far I believe him since it isnt locked up...soooo Im thinkin 100 pounds of compression will get us a look at the fall leaves changin over on Table rock lake...which is what Momma wants..

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like a pretty nice project boat from here! So how about some info and pics on the motor / drive you're working on.

brushhippie

Seaman Apprentice
The engine is a 140 mercruiser with the M outdrive.

everything is a mess as you can see...Ive about pumped all the fuel out...and of course there was a bunch of it.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Have you undone the cylinders to ensure it isn't binding at the pivot point? Great looking boat you got there