Swim Platform Re-Hab

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
I picked a used 2003 Runabout that when new had a factory swim platform installed. Its clearly obvious they forgot to install limiters on the out drive thus causing the damage in the pictures. The limiter were installed and for the last 10 years, the swim desk has looked like what you see in the pictures.

Being the new owner of the boat, I'd like to fix the damage. What is the best way to go about this? The platform is all fiberglass with gel coat on the top/sides. Im not sure what the bottom stuff is. Maybe gel coat just not finished smooth? Any suggestions on how I should go about this?

2014-09-17175921_zpsf2413294.jpg

2014-09-17175913_zps195bcbb2.jpg

2014-09-17175905_zps8c738664.jpg

pckeen

Commander
Hi,

Welcome to iboats. Can you take and post some pics from more of a distance so we can get a better idea of where the damage is? And before you go any further, is there any sign of damage to the transom inside?

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
Will do. There is zero damage/issues with the transom. Wouldn't have bought the boat other wise. The platform has integrated beams to support it...which means there are no support legs. so when the out drive caused the damage, the platform took all the abuse.

The cracks in the platform are on the outer corners. you can kind of seem them in the below pictures. My thought was to do a little grinding and then PB them back up and call it a day? Other wise, the platform is solid.

01414_9Si1noi1Paf_600x450_zpsed29b2e3.jpg

00000_bsECyqB0kKw_600x450_zps79ca35f2.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd agree that it's all gelcoat. My recommendation would be to remove it from the boat and get it on saw horses. It prolly has a wood core and depending on how long it's been like that the wood core could have extensive rot issues but maybe not. I'd suggest you grind away all the damaged areas to expose the wood and remove the fractured glass. If the wood is not rotted and just wet, you can soak it with some antifreeze and then allow it to evaporate and dry for a week or so. This will kill off any mold, mildew and spores and acutally help speed up the drying process due to the alcohol in the AF. Once the wood core is good and dry you can begin the restoration process. This would entail, soaking the area in Polyester resin, and applying a layer of 1.5oz CSM followed by a larger layer of 1708 Biaxial cloth followed by 2 additional layers of the CSM. All layers saturated with the resin. Once this is cured you would sand, and fair with fairing material and then brush or roll on 3-4 coats of gelcoat with the final layer of gelcoat containing wax to seal it. This is a DIY'r repair and can easily be done in a long afternoon once the core is all nice and dry. That's how I would do it. Others may come along with more suggestions.;):D

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, its time to get this fixed up before boating season! Is there any way I can fill the damaged areas with out taking it off the boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Repair I described in Post#4 was intended to be done ON the boat!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is it removable ? It sure would make the repairs easier .. If not then just do as Woody suggested grind, dry , glass , and gell ...
Make sure you cover your outdrive up real good .. Ya got gravity working against you ....

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
its 'removable' but I dont have the help to get it off. So if I can do this on the boat I will. Time to start ordering supplies. Ill keep yall posted

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you make your patches on heavy plastic and carry them from the bench to the platform it won't be so bad. When you get your supplies we'll talk you thru it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It depends on how picky you are. You can use Thickened epoxy to fix most small repairs (PC-11 or Marine Tex from Ace Hardware) and it's White so you'll barely notice on small repairs. You can get Rustoleum in small 1/2 pint cans and mix up custom colors all day for CHEAP!!!! I'm a Cheap guy so I usually go for Cheap but some people are VERY particular when it comes to their boats etc... and go all the way on repairs soooo I guess it's up to you on what you want to do. If you want to get a Gel Coat repair kit and keep it around for the small chips and gouges you'll enevitablly get now an then and then fuss about color matching to get it perfect then go ahead and get the stuff you'll need. Most small chips and gouges will not cause damage to the boat or allow water to penetrate to the subsurface below and cause further issues. It's only a cosmetic issue. Totally up to the owner what he or she wants to do about it.

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
WG Im working on placing the order today. For this repair, why do I need Mat and 1708...In what order do they go down?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the cracks are not just cosmetic. You need the resin and fabric for structural support to do the repair correctly. This is NOT just a cosmetic repair.

akcooper9

Seaman Apprentice
WG, Supplies have been ordered. Thank you very much for all your help so far :)

Next steps is prepping...any suggestions?